PDA

View Full Version : Scarf business, advice needed

M_Guan
02-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Hello all,
This is M from China, Zhejiang Province. In our Province, there are many scarf manufacturers. Not only those places around Hangzhou, the capital of the Province, such as Tonglu,Huzhou,Shaoxing,Jiaxing, but also Wujiang, Jiangsu Province, which is only about two hours driving from Hangzhou. These places are very famous textile distribution centers. It's very convenient for buyers to visit factories and find every type of scarf that they want. Many people abroad who have been to Zhejiang must be heard of Yiwu, the most famous wholesale market with hundreds and thousands of stallholders, even you can find everyting there, including scarf. For myself, I've worked in Import&Export for many years, knowing well the operation of exportation. And now my concern is like this: Is it possible to sell these scarves overseas or provide service for those people who want to buy scarves from China? I have no idea if anyone here involved in scarf business or just has freind who deals with this industry.
Now, my problem is that I don't know well about the scarf market overseas, how could I collect some information about this industry? I believe that, to begin a new business, it is necessary to make a market research and get some idea about this industry, such as what type of scarf would people prefer in this country? For example, material, color, pattern, etc. Will people buy scarf for warm or only for decoration?
Where will people buy scarves? online store or physical store? From distributors or wholesalers? What price is acceptable for general use?
Wow, many things need to be considered. If someone here could give any useful advice, I would be mostly appreciated.;)

Thank you

Cheers,
M

Taru
03-07-2014, 08:26 AM
It's definitely better to research the market first, so you are already making the right step. If you are looking to sell internationally, I suggest finding out the laws, restrictions, and procedures in your country so you know what you are getting into. If you decide to push through, then start checking some of your possible competition and channels online. I know there are some good wholesale sites that you can sell on from China - one being Alibaba. You may also want to check out some online retailers and maybe contact them before putting your money into the supply itself. Also, be careful since not all retail sites and sellers are trustworthy, so do your research on those first too before doing business with them.

M_Guan
03-07-2014, 11:01 PM
It's definitely better to research the market first, so you are already making the right step. If you are looking to sell internationally, I suggest finding out the laws, restrictions, and procedures in your country so you know what you are getting into. If you decide to push through, then start checking some of your possible competition and channels online. I know there are some good wholesale sites that you can sell on from China - one being Alibaba. You may also want to check out some online retailers and maybe contact them before putting your money into the supply itself. Also, be careful since not all retail sites and sellers are trustworthy, so do your research on those first too before doing business with them.

Hello Taru,
Thanks so much for your kind suggestion. These information seems very useful to me. I really appreciate it.:)

mikelouis
03-07-2014, 11:26 PM
This niche will need you to do a bit more on research. I think you should find already established online stores in China. This is the only way to get your brand off the ground quickly. Sell your products to them or find a way to get into partnership with them. After that, you can now break away to start your store when your brand is well known. Include more products like dresses to your collection and I think things won't be bad.

M_Guan
03-08-2014, 02:55 AM
This niche will need you to do a bit more on research. I think you should find already established online stores in China. This is the only way to get your brand off the ground quickly. Sell your products to them or find a way to get into partnership with them. After that, you can now break away to start your store when your brand is well known. Include more products like dresses to your collection and I think things won't be bad.

Hello Mike,
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, just as you referred, there are indeed large amount of scarf stores here in China, not only physical stores but also online stores. Different quality levels and different prices. But I thought the market in China and abroad should be different due to many factors, such as culture, people's habit,etc, which would cause different preferences. My concern is how to know what kind of scarf could be well accepted in a definite market. For example, in UK, which scarf people usually buy for warm, what cost of the scarf could be accepted by most people, etc.

Cheers,
M

eppie
03-08-2014, 04:15 AM
Hi M :)

You need to spy on online sites that are already selling scarfs to get ideas about quality and prices, it's the only way (use Google). And yes aside from your online scarf store, you can also offer your services to other online stores and become a sort of a "middle man" between these online stores and China manufacturers. I know a lot of online retailers are now looking for reliable and knowledgeable contacts in China like yourself.

I for one is interested in doing business with you in the future especially if you have contacts with suppliers of hair maintenance gadgets (I don't know what to call them) like hair irons and stuff. Next month I'll be focusing on starting my online store too, I just have to finish my previous commitments with clients.

Well good luck to you M and I hope I can still contact you here next month. :)

strokeontent
03-08-2014, 10:12 AM
The northern hemisphere would obviously be your target market, so North America, Russia, Northern Europe would be the ideal places to try and sell your products.

I think you would need to start by getting information regarding each countries custom taxes. You can't make a price until you know how much import tax needs to be paid in each country, so this would be essential.

In terms of patterns and ideas you should probably look into each cultures' preferences. Some countries like more colorful stuff whereas others prefer discreet patterns. Maybe do some online research on each countries fashion preferences.

The acceptable price will also depend on the country. Probably a Norwegian will be willing to pay $30 for a scarf whereas a Canadian will only pay $10. But then again these prices will reflect the import taxes and cost of living in each country.

If you plan on exporting I would probably start with an online store and see how that goes. People are buying more and more clothes online these days, so you can get a good figure. If you are successful and manage to establish your brand in a particular country, then open a shop. Even if it doesn't sell a lot, at least it can serve as storage space so you can process shipping and returns quicker.

M_Guan
03-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi M :)

You need to spy on online sites that are already selling scarfs to get ideas about quality and prices, it's the only way (use Google). And yes aside from your online scarf store, you can also offer your services to other online stores and become a sort of a "middle man" between these online stores and China manufacturers. I know a lot of online retailers are now looking for reliable and knowledgeable contacts in China like yourself.

I for one is interested in doing business with you in the future especially if you have contacts with suppliers of hair maintenance gadgets (I don't know what to call them) like hair irons and stuff. Next month I'll be focusing on starting my online store too, I just have to finish my previous commitments with clients.

Well good luck to you M and I hope I can still contact you here next month. :)
Hello Eppie,
Yes, I agree with what you said. This should be a right way. Actually, I have been spying on online stores these days, such as Ebay.:D But I still think I need to collect as much information as possible to know well the market and get my point clearer.
Your suggestion is very helpful. Thank you. I hope you can do your business successfully.

Cheers,
M

M_Guan
03-08-2014, 09:12 PM
The northern hemisphere would obviously be your target market, so North America, Russia, Northern Europe would be the ideal places to try and sell your products.

I think you would need to start by getting information regarding each countries custom taxes. You can't make a price until you know how much import tax needs to be paid in each country, so this would be essential.

In terms of patterns and ideas you should probably look into each cultures' preferences. Some countries like more colorful stuff whereas others prefer discreet patterns. Maybe do some online research on each countries fashion preferences.

The acceptable price will also depend on the country. Probably a Norwegian will be willing to pay $30 for a scarf whereas a Canadian will only pay $10. But then again these prices will reflect the import taxes and cost of living in each country.

If you plan on exporting I would probably start with an online store and see how that goes. People are buying more and more clothes online these days, so you can get a good figure. If you are successful and manage to establish your brand in a particular country, then open a shop. Even if it doesn't sell a lot, at least it can serve as storage space so you can process shipping and returns quicker.
Hello Strokeontent,
Your suggestion really enriched my brain. You know what, I just did like what you said. I had tried a small market research on Yahoo and got some responses although these information is still not enough for me. I think should be better to know more about it before getting the business started.
Thank you so much for your information.

Cheers,
M

jubvman
03-09-2014, 12:01 AM
It will hard to market your business as there are many manufacturers from China which people have already dealt with and most people don't have pleasant experiences. I would recommend setting up an online site which offers drop shipping. Advertise online on forums, marketplaces and maybe even contact companies directly. Be prepared to send out a few free samples to let the customers know that your product is of much higher quality than other Chinese items in your industry :)

M_Guan
03-09-2014, 05:21 AM
It will hard to market your business as there are many manufacturers from China which people have already dealt with and most people don't have pleasant experiences. I would recommend setting up an online site which offers drop shipping. Advertise online on forums, marketplaces and maybe even contact companies directly. Be prepared to send out a few free samples to let the customers know that your product is of much higher quality than other Chinese items in your industry :)

Well, it seems a little bit upset. Maybe drop shipping is another clue. I will take it into account. Quality, price, color, material, etc. these are all important factors for customers' choice.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,
M

angelicagapit
03-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Distinguish your scarf business from all of your competitors. Position your brand differently and in a more unique way. As you said, there are many competitors. In that case, you must show your potential clients a reason why they should buy scarfs from you and no one else. Stand out from the crowd and show how your scarves can benefit people in terms of design, comfort, and purpose.

Honestly I think you should sell scarves in a store setting, due to the fact that people want to feel the material and try it on physically.

Good luck!

M_Guan
03-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Distinguish your scarf business from all of your competitors. Position your brand differently and in a more unique way. As you said, there are many competitors. In that case, you must show your potential clients a reason why they should buy scarfs from you and no one else. Stand out from the crowd and show how your scarves can benefit people in terms of design, comfort, and purpose.

Honestly I think you should sell scarves in a store setting, due to the fact that people want to feel the material and try it on physically.

Good luck!

Yes, this is also what I have been thinking about. But what should be the UNIQUE. That is the point.
Thanks angelicagapit. :)