PDA

View Full Version : Should I notify my clients?

alec
02-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Am I required by law to notify my customers that my business is soon to be closed?

I need to mention that all my contracts have been honored before I took this decision. Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm protected against lawsuits by not missing some obscure law requirement.

Thanks!

jameszee
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't believe it is, but it may depend on the country you're in. It might be a good idea anyway if you want them back as customers in the future.

crucider
02-27-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't think so, but it's always nice to have a notification that you're closing your business. Plus that way if there is any legal issues with not notifying them then it's solved!

autograph
02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
I am not sure if you are obliged by law to notify your clients, but I would say that it is a good practice to do so. By doing so, at least you do not seem to burn bridges with your clients. You might need them in the future again. Regarding the consequence of this matter, you should check your state's law regarding closing a business.

cpefley
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure what type of business you are in, but I doubt you have to notify your customers that your business is closing. However, if you have very loyal customers, then I think it would be the courteous thing to do, so that they can make appropriate arrangements to do business elsewhere.

Jessi
02-28-2014, 10:40 PM
As others mentioned, it kind of depends. I would recommend checking your initial contract with your employees. If you agreed to compensate them in the event of a closure, for example, then you may need to give them 2 weeks' notice and pay. Usually you don't need to, but it's good practice to let them know so they can start looking for other work.

Ryand88
03-01-2014, 02:56 AM
I think it would be courteus to just let them know anyway at least if they are loyal customers, If you have contracts in place with these customers then you should probably read over them several thousand times :p just to make sure you aren't missing but if not then there isn't really a law in place for that or at least not where I'm from(UK)

basmae
03-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Am I required by law to notify my customers that my business is soon to be closed?

I need to mention that all my contracts have been honored before I took this decision. Now I'm just trying to make sure I'm protected against lawsuits by not missing some obscure law requirement.

Thanks!

I believe that you should notify them if you are about to close your business as a necessary precaution.

caveman
03-02-2014, 04:29 AM
I don't think it's required by law. But if you have some loyal customers then it would be nice for them to hear from you.

CSomm
03-02-2014, 02:30 PM
There is no law for this. You set up the business of your own volition, and you closed it the same way. You honored your contracts, and if you want to skulk away like a thief in the night, you are free to do so. However, if you tell your clients about the business closing, you may find a valuable networking asset that leads you to your next venture---why pass up on the chance?

angelicagapit
03-03-2014, 02:51 AM
It isn't required legally, but I would actually say that it is recommended ethically. If you formed a strong bond with your clients and you do business with them often, or you know they would come back to you for a certain service, I should definitely say that you should notify them. What's wrong with doing that simple task of letting them know that your business isn't up and running anymore, right? It's always best to stay true to your ex-clients and maybe you could even let them know the reason why you closed down. It is ethical to be honest with these clients and not hold back any information from them.

That's just my opinion. Good luck!

Rainman
03-08-2014, 04:11 AM
If closure of your business will inconvenience your clients then much as you have no obligation to notify them that you'll be closing your business, it's ethical to let them know about that. It won't cost you anything. Just do it and get it done with. That way there's a possibility that if you get back in business, your former clients may want to do business with you.

SteakTartare
03-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Assuming you are in the United States and aren't in certain lines of business (e.g., depository institutions, etc.), there shouldn't be any legal or regulatory requirement to notify your clients. However, doing so is the right thing to do, particularly if their businesses are dependent upon yours. Also, you never know what interaction you might have with former clients years down the road, so its always best to end on a good note. So, I would send out a mailing (electronic or snail) alerting them to the closure and, if necessary, where they may obtain a similar product or service.

mikelouis
03-09-2014, 04:40 AM
I have never heard about such a law. But if it exists, make sure you can terminate all the currently signed contracts just to be on the safe side. Some people are not that forgiving when you breach contracts. That is where the lawsuits might come in.

owesem75
03-09-2014, 07:25 AM
In my personal opinion, if you are trading, selling merchandise, etc - you dont need to notify your client except if you are a service provider i.e contractor to a project, etc. You have to check the terms of your own contract and properly terminate it to avoid legal implications.

CommunityCoin
03-21-2014, 01:10 AM
As long as the customers don't have any outstanding balances or things like that you should be fine. A simple email letting your customers know would be an easy fix though, that is if you have an email list.

eppie
03-21-2014, 05:04 AM
If closure of your business will inconvenience your clients then much as you have no obligation to notify them that you'll be closing your business, it's ethical to let them know about that. It won't cost you anything. Just do it and get it done with. That way there's a possibility that if you get back in business, your former clients may want to do business with you.

I agree with Rainman :) that it's ethical to do so. This will give you a good reputation that you really care about your clients until the end/closing of your business and should you start another business in the future, these clients will not think twice of doing business with you again.

It would also be nice if you could recommend another business establishment (if applicable) that can continue giving service/products to your existing clients. We did this two weeks before we close our small water refilling station business, we recommend another water station nearby and our clients were very grateful for our efforts. After more than five years after we discontinued our business, our clients remained our friends until now. :)

fredkawig
03-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Depends on the law on your locality if it is clearly stated then by all means follow the rules. Make sure you have insurance though.

kcareconnections
03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
I do not think you must legally notify your clients. I think ethically, I would. I know I like to know if a business I use regularly is going out of business. It helps me to prepare if I count on them for a service I need.

TTC
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think you are required by law however are you able to just end your contracts? I assume that not all are over yet?.

As Eppie said could you recommend someone that your clients can use? you might also be able to get a little money for the clients that switch to them.

useruseruser
03-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I don't think you have to notify your clients by law but you should. You shouldn't leave your clients high and dry , it will give you a bad reputation. It isn't very hard to send out a mass text. I would seriously consider notifying your clientele.

HeinrichM
03-25-2014, 05:05 AM
It is not a legal requirement to inform your customers that you are closing down. It is however good customer service to notify your customers of the closure of your business and contact details in case they need to contact you at a later stage. Just be sure to honour all of your existing contracts before you close.

bingaguilar
03-25-2014, 05:40 AM
There is no law for this. You set up the business of your own volition, and you closed it the same way. You honored your contracts, and if you want to skulk away like a thief in the night, you are free to do so. However, if you tell your clients about the business closing, you may find a valuable networking asset that leads you to your next venture---why pass up on the chance?

Yes, I agree with you on this. It's only a form of courtesy to inform your loyal clients that you're closing shop but I don't think you are required by law. However, it would also be good to inform your clientele about it especially if you're branching to other industries or if you're moving somewhere else to start a new business. Who knows they might even be interested in your new venture, then you would already have gained a new client base for it.

sweetkymom
04-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I seriously doubt you have to contact anyone over your closure but if you want to stand loyally with your clients, you should make mention to them.

CharlesHarrison
05-14-2014, 02:28 AM
I have found that you are abided by the law for notifying the clients about it. However, it slightly varies from country to country. And In my opinion you should notify your customers that soon your business is going to be closed. It will create a great impact on them. And might be helpful for you in future, if you again starts a new business and at that time you need clients for your business.

prtiksha
07-10-2014, 02:17 AM
It is a good practice to do so. By doing so, at least you do not seem to burn bridges with your clients. You might need them in the future again. Regarding the consequence of this matter, you should check your state's law regarding closing a business.

LAman
07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
What would be the downside to simply sending out an email to all your past clients thanking them for their business and maybe explain a little about your decision to close operations.

jesslee
07-24-2014, 12:16 AM
That is good if you notify your customers before closing your business.It will help you in future if you want to start your business again.

DouglasSSaucier
10-25-2015, 02:57 AM
precaution for every fields is good for life

campbelljof
11-19-2015, 04:45 AM
hello,

You defiantly need to notify your customers, it doesn't matter that where you are from!!, According to me its your social duty.

gandu
02-28-2016, 12:34 AM
I think this is dependant by Jurisdiction. But here in Canada, most likely not unless you have some seperate written obligation to them.

Encarnaciondavid
03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
you must see all rule of your country than start any business

chinomoreno
09-08-2016, 11:47 PM
If I were you I will notify them, it is your chance to say thank you and goodbye.

levinaige
03-03-2017, 09:31 PM
That is good if you notify your customers before closing your business.

Monte
03-22-2017, 03:02 PM
I would have to concur with what some of the others here have said. I would let my clients know, as a courtesy. I also think it's a good idea so that you don't "leave them hanging", as it were.

happywheels
05-31-2017, 09:21 PM
I hope this website you manage to be the best and be number one. Thank you for sharing!

averageme
11-12-2019, 06:40 AM
You definitely should inform your clients, you cannot just disappear.

TangelThor
06-29-2020, 06:39 AM
By keeping them informed you are keeping the focus on them, showing them that you value them as a customer and you will do what it takes to keep them with your business. If done right, keeping your customers informed can make them feel special and they will reward your business for it.

amelyjcob
08-06-2020, 06:59 AM
By keeping them informed you are keeping the focus on them, showing them that you value them as a customer and you will do what it takes to keep them with your business. If done right, keeping your customers informed can make them feel special and they will reward your business for it.

amelyjcob
09-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Why is it important to notify your client?

Lilykevin86
02-11-2021, 04:14 AM
Ask your new business forthright in the event that they mean to advertise the news. In the event that indeed, discover when and how it will occur. On the off chance that it goes before your arranged declaration date, request that they hold off until you have educated your customers. To keep away from anybody accidentally discovering, educate your customers inside 24 hours regarding pulling out.

lishmaliny
04-07-2021, 05:48 AM
Simply, state the fact that you are closing the business, the exact date the doors will close and perhaps suggest another business where they can have their needs met. If you have outstanding orders which you are able to fill, reassure customers that they will receive their merchandise.

Lilykevin86
04-09-2021, 11:44 PM
Would it be advisable for us to illuminate clients if a worker tests positive for COVID-19? KPA separates how best to deal with COVID in your labor force.