PDA

View Full Version : Does 100% Passive Income Exist?

Taru
02-28-2014, 02:55 AM
I hear people searching for passive income a lot, and usually the suggestions that come out as a response to it are only partially passive. I've heard recommendations like buying complexes and renting it out and investing it in stocks, etc. but even then you would need to keep a close eye on these investments since I'd assume it will consume a lot of your finances and it would only be reasonable to spend at least a few minutes each day to review them. I think the only truly passive income you could achieve is to get interests from keeping your money in banks and certain other more stable investments, but even then you'd at least have to keep up with current events just to be assured you're money is safe for the moment, right?

What do you guys think, am I missing some examples of investments that yield truly passive income or at least ones that come really close to it?

JohnSword
03-01-2014, 02:57 AM
My personal definition of passive income is money that is made after setting up some sort of income-generating system. That's opposed to directly trading time for money which would be active income. Maintenance is still needed to keep the passive-income generating system running properly, but that time investment isn't directly tied to a direct exchange for cash.

To answer your question, I think a truly 100% passive income stream doesn't exist. Even a profitable website or blog still needs to have ongoing marketing and content creations. You could outsource everything, but would still have to verify that things are getting done and getting done correctly.

Jessi
03-01-2014, 01:45 PM
No, I don't think you can have 100% passive income. I do think that there are a lot of passive income options that, with a bit of work and effort for setup, can provide a steady stream of income without a lot of time involved. I don't think any source can be left alone forever, though, and they all require a bit of maintenance from time to time.

coffee
03-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I agree. There is no such thing as 100% passive. There are many things though that do not require much maintenance after the initial work is completed such as ebooks, selling digital files, a niche website, etc.

basmae
03-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I agree. There is no such thing as 100% passive. There are many things though that do not require much maintenance after the initial work is completed such as ebooks, selling digital files, a niche website, etc.

Same here, although there are definitely ways of earning passive income. I think it mostly has to do with setting up some sort of website that can help you earn money when people visit it.

Taru
03-04-2014, 05:17 AM
My personal definition of passive income is money that is made after setting up some sort of income-generating system. That's opposed to directly trading time for money which would be active income. Maintenance is still needed to keep the passive-income generating system running properly, but that time investment isn't directly tied to a direct exchange for cash.

To answer your question, I think a truly 100% passive income stream doesn't exist. Even a profitable website or blog still needs to have ongoing marketing and content creations. You could outsource everything, but would still have to verify that things are getting done and getting done correctly.

Very well put, and I agree. I think the best thing we can hope for in terms of passive income is that we will have enough of it not to have to exchange time directly to gain the profit. I'm still hoping to hear of some investments that require the most minimum amount of maintenance, as so far all I'm coming up with still entail pretty much treating the maintenance as a job or risk having the business fail - such as maintaining websites and even franchises.

printer
07-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Yes,there is no 100% passive income because any source can not be left forever.All sources want maintenance time to time.

fahidhasan
07-15-2015, 12:32 AM
Nice post .I like this post very much .Thank you