PDA

View Full Version : Running your own radio station on the internet

crimsonghost747
02-28-2014, 03:05 AM
Anyone doing this? What kind of things do I need to think about before starting?

Apparently there are hosting services who take care of the royalty fees for us... and by that I mean we pay them a monthly fee (based on the amount of listeners) and they make sure that all the artists and record companies get what they legally need to get.

Apart from that hosting service... I'd probably want my own domain name.
What else?

coffee
03-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Oh how exciting! I would suggest writing out a business plan on how you are going to attract listeners and what kind of music you will play, and if you will have any talk shows and commercials. Before securing your domain name make sure any social networking sites you want to use are available too with that name.

crimsonghost747
03-02-2014, 04:21 AM
So far the best thing I've found is radionomy. I won't have my own domain name but they provide us with free hosting AND pay for all the royalties. This of course means that they will stick in the ads (apparently a maximum of 4 minutes of ads per hour) and we are not allowed to put additional ads in there. They pay us 1/3rd of the ad revenue when we have enough listeners.

I think I'll get started with this since it's a no risk way. And this station will be music only, no talking etc... just pure awesome music. I really wanted to be in control of the ads too in order to keep it to a very minimum, but I guess 4 minutes per hour isn't that bad.

angelicagapit
03-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Wow I've never thought of making money this way. I honestly don't listen to the radio, let alone on the internet! But if there's a certain market for this kind of business, then you should definitely push through with it. Ask advice from local radio stations. Ask them about what it takes to run a radio station, how to get listeners and how to attract newbies. Also, you should be able to market to potential listeners. Try to get people to want to hear your radio station. Give them reasons why your radio station is better than others.

Maybe on your radio station, you can throw contests or give our freebies to your listeners.

Good luck!

crimsonghost747
03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I was definitely thinking of the contest thing, but first I'd obviously need to get quite a lot of listeners in order to get some income from those ads.
I'm thinking of starting out with a very basic one... just good music and a lot of unknown bands, mainly aimed for people who use online radio stations as a way to discover new music. As much music as I can, as little blaablaa as possible.

alec
03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Maybe after you get your user base up you can deal directly with the advertisers and cut out the middle man, radionomy in this case?

Sounds awesome but hard at the same time. I imagine there's a lot of brainstorming involved until you achieve success. Since you're using free resources and a model that doesn't cost anything you're going up against a sea of similar radio stations I imagine. With a good selection and marketing made towards people interested in new/obscure stuff I think you'll be ok.

crimsonghost747
03-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Yes competition will definitely be tough. But in the end, I'm doing this more as an experiment, if it works it works if it doesn't then that's fine. This is why I'm also going with a free one, I don't know how interested in this I'll be so this way there is nothing to lose.

And yes cutting the middleman would of course be an option, but that would be waaay down the line if by somehow this thing would become magically popular. The advertisers aren't the biggest problem, it's the royalties. But this whole thing is just in the developement stage, the radio station isn't even running yet and already we are discussing about moving onto my own platform. :p

Jkility
03-04-2014, 02:53 PM
I've not done this my self but have been apart of internet radio, and you do require a few things such as licenses and software, and as people have said, you will have to combat with competition which can cause a lot of problems for you.

cpefley
03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
That sounds like a great start, and a very cool idea. You do have to pay royalties to artists, but I'm not sure what kind of music you are planning on playing. Are you looking for independent artists that aren't signed, to help get them exposure or Top 40 type music? That can be expensive. You'd have to contact record labels to find out what permissions you'd have to have to play their music. Do you have a lawyer that specializes in this type of law?

crimsonghost747
03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
That sounds like a great start, and a very cool idea. You do have to pay royalties to artists, but I'm not sure what kind of music you are planning on playing. Are you looking for independent artists that aren't signed, to help get them exposure or Top 40 type music? That can be expensive. You'd have to contact record labels to find out what permissions you'd have to have to play their music. Do you have a lawyer that specializes in this type of law?

As I mentioned in the first posts I'm planning on using a service which provides the hosting and takes care of all the royalties. Much more simple this way, I wouldn't want to mix myself into the royalty stuff especially not in the beginning.

Taru
03-06-2014, 04:32 AM
I briefly looked into doing this myself in the past, but ultimately decided against it for personal reasons, but I have to admit that it does sound like a nice project to get into and I do still hope to get into it sometime in the future. I did come across some other site which is BlogTalkRadio. I don't know if they offer the same benefits, but the radio stations I came across there were fairly entertaining and there was a lot of variety too.

gadgetised
03-06-2014, 04:35 AM
I feel like this would be a pretty big venture but kudos to anyone who could successfully start up their own radio station. Top 40 would be expensive so I would stick to independent and local artists.

crimsonghost747
03-06-2014, 06:56 AM
I briefly looked into doing this myself in the past, but ultimately decided against it for personal reasons, but I have to admit that it does sound like a nice project to get into and I do still hope to get into it sometime in the future. I did come across some other site which is BlogTalkRadio. I don't know if they offer the same benefits, but the radio stations I came across there were fairly entertaining and there was a lot of variety too.

Looks like that service is more geared towards talk shows etc, while I would go for a lot of music and very little if any talking. But I'll definitely take a deeper look at that one too when I have the time. Thanks for the tip.

paninini
03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Would it really be possible to make some money using an internet radio station?

Some friends of mine do some sessions on online stations every now and then, but I never heard anyone could make a couple of bucks out of it.

I could ask them some in and outs about it though.

Also, I would definitely be interested if it's somehow profitable, but I just can't imagine it.

crimsonghost747
03-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Would it really be possible to make some money using an internet radio station?

Some friends of mine do some sessions on online stations every now and then, but I never heard anyone could make a couple of bucks out of it.

I could ask them some in and outs about it though.

Also, I would definitely be interested if it's somehow profitable, but I just can't imagine it.

Why couldn't it be profitable. Do you think all the radio stations that exist in the world are non-profit or working for a loss?

paninini
03-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

Of course there are profitable radio stations around. But I think that's mostly stations broadcasting AM/FM.
There's quite a few online radio stations I enjoy listening to, but they mostly have 100 listeners max at a time. And those are some quite nice stations in my opinion.

But I guess it could be profitable. When I see sites like Twitch, it sometimes amazes me the amount of traffic they generate.

It could be profitable (like anything), but I myself don't see the amount of work paying off.
I could definitely be wrong, I hope you proof me wrong and start one successful station though :)

crimsonghost747
03-12-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

Of course there are profitable radio stations around. But I think that's mostly stations broadcasting AM/FM.
There's quite a few online radio stations I enjoy listening to, but they mostly have 100 listeners max at a time. And those are some quite nice stations in my opinion.

But I guess it could be profitable. When I see sites like Twitch, it sometimes amazes me the amount of traffic they generate.

It could be profitable (like anything), but I myself don't see the amount of work paying off.
I could definitely be wrong, I hope you proof me wrong and start one successful station though :)

Ahh yes, if you are talking about money gained compared to the amount of work then yes, I do agree with you that the chances are very minimal. I wouldn't do it strictly with money in my mind, I'm thinking about this more from a "let's see what happens, should be fun" point of view.

But say the radio's owner earns $0.05 per hour per listener. As in the actual profit, after royalties and hosting etc has been paid.
With 20 constant listeners, that would make $1 per hour. $24 per day and $720 per month. Now that I count it this way, I think $0.05 is way too much, but even with $0.01 that would still make $144 per month.

delusional
03-13-2014, 04:52 AM
Ahh yes, if you are talking about money gained compared to the amount of work then yes, I do agree with you that the chances are very minimal. I wouldn't do it strictly with money in my mind, I'm thinking about this more from a "let's see what happens, should be fun" point of view.

But say the radio's owner earns $0.05 per hour per listener. As in the actual profit, after royalties and hosting etc has been paid.
With 20 constant listeners, that would make $1 per hour. $24 per day and $720 per month. Now that I count it this way, I think $0.05 is way too much, but even with $0.01 that would still make $144 per month.

I also think it's a money trap. Although you don't need a lot of investments, I don't think you will ever see return.
you can listen to the music you choose everywhere on the internet these days. And mostly for free.

paninini
03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
If you just think it's fun to host your own internet radio, you could check out how to host your own station for free using Winamp or something.

Here's a guide how to set things up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpIFvNcU6Cw

No costs involved, so if it seems your station is becoming successful you could think about a model and advertising afterwards.

Maybe this is something for you.

crimsonghost747
03-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the link, much appreciated. However I have a poor internet connection so I'm going to need hosting anyway, and quite frankly I'd rather have someone else take care of the royalties since I wouldn't want to do anything that is against the law. Besides, the artists definitely deserves to get paid if their music is so good that I'd be playing it on my station.

wandering wildman
03-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Hello Crimsonghost! I also think this is a great idea. What kind of music are you planning on playing? I think this is a great way to start a fun and enjoyable, but low -cost start up. Also, do some research to find out what social media outlets cater to this market. I would suspect it would be a little different social media than blogging for example. Best of luck on your adventure!

crimsonghost747
03-31-2014, 11:16 AM
It's definitely going to be some kind of rock or metal, since that is what I mainly listen to. I obviously need to have a bit more specific genre than that, and I've got some ideas. The project is still on the "thinking about it stage" due to being busy with other things.

ANewDay
08-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Cool idea. It has been several months since the last post. How is this idea coming along?

Startup_Consultant
08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
OK I'm an insider, so I enlist you the big picture:
You need a playout software [Hit Google: radio automation] - that will "play" your content
Encoder software - makes a master stream [converts your output to mp3, aac, ogg, acc+, mp3pro, etc. format] to your streamserver [usually included in internet radio automation packages]
Streamserver - usually it is the bottleneck, but for start choose the minimal number of connection plan available (20 or 50); this defines your outgoing bandwidth: how many concurrent listeners you may have in the same time.
Music scheduler software - if you take your project seriously [not recommended for starters] Some radio automation packages include schedulers, that's enough.

Actually you can find some linux (free) solutions for all of the above, if you don't demand so much and just want to play music and jingles, you can try them. The usual solutions run on Windows, so you'll need one. For ground zero you can install all the package to one computer, with a good internet uplink line, since it will stream 24/7/365 your content - without any reboot, so be careful with hardware.

The simplest unprofessional solution is using WinAmp stream to a shoutcast plan.

I write how pros are doing it:
Dedicated Win computer for playout system, with pre scheduled music, remote controlled - "master stream out" in server hosting room
Own Icecast streaming servers - at different server hosting services (with redundancy) 1-5-10 Gbps speed
This architecture serves several thousand HQ listeners

Regards,
Chill
Radio Consultant Network - European division

ecohomes
09-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Recently I saw a guy looking for moderators for the online radio. I guess it's cool to be moderator on a radio and choose yourself a playlist. Nice idea!

LucyCleaner
12-25-2018, 04:54 PM
I mean, you can create in on your own, but the way i see it, is to use some popular music platform as Spotify to get started. If you really good with getting music together and create decent play tracks, you will get attention. People like their music to be listed by someone else, so it's a hole niche for you. If you need ideas how to get things started from spotify and make your first crowd, you can visit site (https://songlifty.com) and take some tips about it.

Mickey1991
10-31-2019, 07:05 PM
hey, I really like music.

how can I download it with the help of YouTube?

Do I need some special soft to convert music from YouTube to mp3?

brainstorm213
10-31-2019, 07:11 PM
hey, friend, in fact you don't need any soft as there is a useful tool that helps me download music from YouTube in mp3 format. For example, I've been using for this tool for about 2 years and I've never had problems with the site where I use youtube to mp3 converter (https://www.flvto.biz/youtube-to-mp3/). To be honest, I was shocked when I got music from YouTube in high quality at the first time :) So, I use that converter since then and it really satisfies me as I am able to listen to the latest music :)