PDA

View Full Version : How do you attract good candidates for your open position?

Mafdet
03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
We're currently hiring for a customer service position and even though we're located in a very populated area, we can't seem to attract good candidates for the job. What is your experience with advertising you job openings? How do you find qualified people?

alec
03-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Maybe the job requires too many qualifications while the pay is too small for people that skilled? In my experience this seems to be the number one issue when seeking personnel. So, maybe it's a good idea to raise the pay when you're making the offer or lower the skill requirement. Another idea would be to market the job to people in need of experience in that specific field you're hiring in. That way they could at least gain experience for betters jobs even if the pay is not that great.

cpefley
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Have you looked at LinkedIn? There are many websites that will pre screen employees. Generally, making an ad on Craigslist or the newspaper will bring in too many unqualified people and you'll have to weed through them. You can look for employees on sites like Monster.com.

janineaa
03-05-2014, 08:01 AM
If there aren't any good candidates for your job post, the job probably has a lot of requirements for one or the pay is too small for the job requirement. You might just need to add more benefits or lower the work load? Another way you will be able to get candidates is through an internship program. To hire and train candidates with not much experience is a good way to mold the employee you want.

Lostvalleyguy
03-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Try to look at why the candidates are not good ones. If you can identify what makes them weak candidates in your eyes, you may be able to adjust your job posting to be more clear as to what you are looking for.

As a self employed individual, I often look at job postings for anything that I would be suitable for. I find that many potential employers are constantly posting and re-posting the same ads wanting my skills, but with unacceptable terms (usually money). Many people might be willing to settle for a lower starting wage if you can guarantee hours. If you are not offering full time employment from the start, you may be losing experienced candidates.

ab123
03-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Maybe the job requires too many qualifications while the pay is too small for people that skilled? In my experience this seems to be the number one issue when seeking personnel. So, maybe it's a good idea to raise the pay when you're making the offer or lower the skill requirement. Another idea would be to market the job to people in need of experience in that specific field you're hiring in. That way they could at least gain experience for betters jobs even if the pay is not that great.

I definitely agree with this! If you aren't attracting the candidates you're hoping for, you are probably expecting too much experience for the pay you are offering. If you can't offer more money, then expect less experience.

Mafdet
03-06-2014, 03:05 PM
You guys are right. Still, the financial offer is only made if the candidate is considered suitable for the job. There is of course the reputation of the company. There are many projects, each with its own salary standard. And the word spreads from those who are less satisfied. Let's just say we're looking for people who speak English very well. And surprisingly enough, in a country that teaches English starting from the 2nd grade, there aren't so many English speaking young people.

Gmac9100
03-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Place an ad in the local paper, and craigslist. The economy is bad. People are always looking for work. Using those two methods you should have many potential employees to choose from. You could also enter your listing with a local workforce referral location.

CSomm
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree with the general consensus on the forum. Assuming you've been advertising for the position, it must be that you are asking too much for too little, or at least it must seem that way to your prospects. Clarify your needs better in your advertisements and hopefully you can get new interest in the position, otherwise you'll have to up the pay or lower the responsibilities.

DomDom
03-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Raise the salary if it is too low and try to get the message that you are hiring all over the place! The more people see it the better chances you have.

erikao1o
03-07-2014, 09:54 PM
I find that usually the best way to attract quality people is to hire friends of friends. Pick a great employee that does their work well and that you trust, and ask them it there's anyone that know who would be interested in working for your company. From there you can do some interviews and decide if they would be a good fit for your company. It's all about networking and connections, right?

delusional
03-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I contact the head of faculty at my previous university. I know him very well and he can tell me which students are ideal for my business. This and also word of mouth.

difrancprod
03-10-2014, 02:26 AM
I will suggest that you start doing some good advertising for the position. You can add incentives once they got hired. Usually a signing bonus is definitely a good lure.

jfab
03-10-2014, 03:12 AM
I will give freebies and if they can also recruit the best, I'll give them an additional pay for doing it. A good marketing is also needed for this. Meet with your team about a good strategy. People like free stuff so if you can include that in your plan, that will motivate them more to apply to you.

fredkawig
03-10-2014, 10:13 AM
You have to show a very good opportunity for good employees to show up. A lot of people who are good usually have jobs already, You have to convince them that working for you is better.

mikka254
03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Perhaps you are not advertising the job where you should. Most of the best job listing services are free and no one reads the paper any more so you should advertise your job listing on-line on one of the most popular job listing websites. Also make sure you clearly write the salary so that people understand what they are applying for.

wander_n_wonder
03-13-2014, 10:51 PM
I like getting referrals from current employees. This is good because at least you have a personal touch in gathering candidates. You also have more idea about a candidate's background as well when he is referred by an existing employee. Also, my belief is that you get to see similar people if they are friends. So if you are happy with your employees, search for their friends because more or less they share the same qualities at work.

Taru
03-19-2014, 02:41 AM
I'd recommend offering a bigger salary, but if that's not possible, then it might be wise to consider just looking for an employee with good potential rather than searching for one that's already good right off the bat. Just consider the savings you get from the salary being put into his or her training, and if he or she eventually turns out to be a good worker, then that will ultimately be worth it, in my opinion. This way, you will at least still get your dream employee, just with a bit more patience and effort, but on the flip side, a lot less in monetary expenses.

caparica007
03-19-2014, 04:22 AM
To attract good candidates for your position you need to offer good working conditions, not way to turn that around. I think we are in a great time to hire though, there's a lot of unemployment and a lot of qualified people are out of a job, so they will probably settle for less than the optimal conditions to them. You also need to know where to look, you need to know where your target candidates check the job ads.

george.shepard
03-20-2014, 02:20 AM
There are many ways to attract the good candidates to your job posting:
1)Social media is a very important source for helping you to reach more relevant candidates with your job posting.
2)There are many websites for job posting. Just include the right information is important because it tells job seekers that you represent a real company that is serious about hiring an experienced and qualified worker.

autograph
03-23-2014, 01:58 AM
If your job ads is not attracting good candidates, there are 2 scenarios that could cause this. First one, the job requirements do not suit the salary being offered; if you set your bar too high, you should be prepared to fork out extra money. Second scenario is your requirements listed were nit specific enough; this could also attract a large pool of candidates whom you might not be looking for. If either one of these scenarios fit your situation, you should now have an idea on how to rectify this problem.