PDA

View Full Version : Protection against theft.

alec
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM
What ways are you using to keep your business safe against theft?

Installing a surveillance system is the first thing that comes to mind but it can prove expensive. Another method would be to install mirrors so that the cashier can see at all times what happens in the store. Obviously this works for small locations.

What similar methods have you seen while shopping or use in your own business?

Taru
03-06-2014, 04:13 AM
I'm personally not very much for surveillance cameras, since I think that tends to make the work environment a bit off, but I do understand that it's probably just a lot more necessary in some businesses. I personally just try to keep the inventory as detailed as possible so I know how to track each individual item and I would know who handled them at any particular time. I chose to do it this way, because I think it's the fairest way to keep the employees honest since as I've said, the cameras might make them feel that I distrust them right off the bat, whereas keeping a detailed inventory is much more subtle.

gadgetised
03-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Security cameras. The amount of times I have heard a story about things going missing and no resolutions because of a lack of cameras. Get onto it or you will regret it.

fredkawig
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
A surveillance system is good. CCTV's or Close Circuit Televisions are also a good way to catch shoplifters which is a cost efficient way to protect your merchandise. Insurance is also a good thing specially for your stall, glass cabinets and other things that might break when thieves and robbers come in.

Rainman
03-07-2014, 03:53 AM
In a retail outlet for example, a cashier could easily collude with a 'customer' to steal from the business owner. Since the cameras only record what's happening, you'll think it's a legit transaction when in reality some of the goods could be handed out free. So, surveillance systems definitely aren't the ultimate solution.

IMO, it's better for the business owner to encourage employees to report dishonesty. And to ensure that stolen items/goods don't get sneaked past the security guards, they should be changed/shifted frequently so that employees don't get to form friendships that would result in them [the guards and employees] colluding to steal from you.

kabita
03-11-2014, 02:27 AM
Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information and uses it without your permission.There are many free way to protect against identity theft such as Credit-reporting agencies, banks, and credit-card companies provide free services that help their customers detect, prevent, and recover from identity thieves.

alec
03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
So the consensus seems to be that you need surveillance cameras. Good.

While shopping these days I noticed that there are places where a security guard (or more) patrols the store. The same store has surveillance cameras installed. What's the point of having a person looking around too? The point for them is to discourage shoplifting or cover dead angles that the cameras don't reach?

If you have any more ideas keep them coming, to be honest I was looking for more unconventional ones.

crimsonghost747
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
The point for them is to discourage shoplifting or cover dead angles that the cameras don't reach?

Mainly the former, but also the latter and also the fact that if a security guard catches someone in the act then the item is recovered and the suspect is apprehended right there and then, whereas finding out what happened from a CCTV, then contacting the police, them finding out who it was etc. takes time and is not always sure to work.

But yes, a camera or two are definitely good. You can also put up a small note saying that the store is under video surveillance, which will also act as a tool to discourage people from shoplifting.

KNH
03-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Many people are against cameras but in most businesses I find it very beneficial. Or at least one of those stickers that have a picture of a video camera and says "Surveillance Activated" or whatever they say...they cost like 3 dollars on eBay.

Eagles910
03-13-2014, 07:57 PM
The only good method is to hire a "Loss Prevention" team. It makes no sense to have surveillance cameras when there is no one there to watch them. However i am sure a small business would not be able to afford such security measures. So you are going to have to rely on your employees to be active against theft. Which is going to be a hard sell.

mikelouis
03-13-2014, 09:12 PM
I would say that surveillance cameras and also some guards can do the trick. Just make sure you put a post to tell the people coming in that they are under surveillance so that they do not try something stupid.

janineaa
03-14-2014, 02:01 AM
We have surveillance cameras in our stockrooms because we have had a case of theft in the past where one of the employees stole some supplies. Surveillance helps so they don't get tempted to steal anything. Another way is inventory management where everything is listed if it comes out of the stockroom. It's quite a manual method but that is another helpful way to know if you are being stolen from.

eppie
03-14-2014, 09:35 AM
What ways are you using to keep your business safe against theft?
... What similar methods have you seen while shopping or use in your own business?

I've seen small gadgets attached on items for sale at a clothing store. The saleslady mentioned that these gadgets send off an alarm when it pass the main exit of the store. The saleslady also said that only the cashiers can take off these gadgets without destroying the items attached to it. It's one of clothing store's security measures to prevent shoplifting.

kitchie
09-25-2015, 05:42 AM
CCTVs are sometimes useless especially when no is in charge to look after the videos.. I'll go for security personnel first before buying CCTVs.

perezellen
02-22-2016, 12:25 AM
You can use a cc tv or any other hidden camera or alarm facility for the protection of your business document.

gandu
03-27-2016, 11:45 AM
I guess the other kicker is those Checkpoint systems which an alarm may sound off when you pass the doors. Regardless if you have one working or not. You probably just put some inanimate objects in front of the doors to deter people thinking their might be an alarm sound if they don't find the trigger device LOL.

gene_cpa
04-11-2016, 08:34 AM
There's a lot of ways you can protect your business from theft. Sure thing, CCTVs will help. You should protect your business not just from external theft, but also against internal theft as well. Unluckily, some employees do steal from their employers. To protect your business from these internal threats, be sure to always maintain extensive internal controls. Hope this helps...

MCM Risk Consultants
02-28-2019, 04:39 PM
This might be old, but I will chime in....

If this is a small business, a loss prevention "team" isn't needed. This would be a huge cost. The best method is customer service, motivation and training. Loss prevention is more than just catching the bad guys - it's preventing and adequately training on how to legally and ethically handle the situation when it arises. I have created a few loss prevention departments and the best action resolves around 3 basic ideas - Physical security, policy and procedure and hiring/background standards. From there you can drill down the program. Hope this helps.

benjaminhopper
08-07-2019, 03:57 AM
It's also important to be aware that any case considering theft should be adressed to a service that would render assistance. https://cmcreditlawyers.com/ is an attorney service in NY that is capable of advising on any kind of busines case.