PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Interview Ever!

erikao1o
03-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I was wondering what experiences people have had here with interviewees. Who is the worst interviewee you have ever had the pleasure of interviewing? Why were they so horrible? Did they do anything particularly hilarious?

And maybe on the flip-side, what was the worst interview you've ever attended? And how did the employer do such a poor job at interviewing you?

delusional
03-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I had someone who told me he had very good social skills. When I asked him why that was the case, he said he had worked with his father for over 5 years. Seemed totally irrelevant but he kept bringing his work experience with his father up.

Lostvalleyguy
03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
On the "being interviewed" side of the coin I have had both good and bad interviews. My experience in being on both sides of the coin is part of what makes an interview bad for me. I can place myself in the place of the interviewer and I know what I would ask, and what responses I would expect.
My worst interview ended with my accepting the job and it being a great job - it was just an odd interview. It begins with some sort of implied joke "So, the other day, three rabbis walked into a room..." I was being interviewed for a very specific position and I knew that there was little competition out there. The position is professional so I was expecting a professional interview. It was anything but that. It was held in the office of the boss which was little more than a desk and chair with every bit of free space piled with boxes of stuff. They tried to cram 4 people into the room and eventually decided to take turns. The questions were more statements about the workplace. the questions that were asked were somewhat random and a lot seemed to be personal interest type questions rather than ones related to the job. I sort of ended up directing the interview so that I could offer the answers to the questions they really should have been asking.
It is still a good job to this day, but the interview needed a little work.

mikka254
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
I remember there was this young man I had the misfortune of interviewing. At a glance I thought, "this dude looks intelligent"; but once he said hello, I wanted to cancel the interview immediately. He had such horrible breath that the paint on the walls almost turned green from white. So then I decided to continue the interview thinking that probably he just had a bad morning, but there was so much lack of preparation that I thought that I wanted the dude to work at my company more than he himself wanted to the job. It was the most pathetic interview of the year.

LindaKay
03-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I have never had trouble with an interview. Some have felt a bit awkward, I guess, but they've all been pretty chill for the most part.

Jessi
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
The worst person I ever interviewed was actually someone that we were looking at hiring to manage a social media account for us. The problem was, this guy was told to have a strategy ready and be able to answer a specific set of questions, and he didn't do any of his research at all! As in, I GAVE him the questions in advance and showed him various plans that we were considering from other people already so that he would know exactly what he was getting into. The man called me 15 minutes late, gave me a 20 second "strategy" that didn't have any specifics, and then when I started asking him questions, he basically said "yes, I can do that" to all of the questions....which would've been fine if it weren't for the fact that I would ask him contradictory questions and he would still say 'yes'. Argh. It was a huge waste of my time.

Mafdet
03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
I had the "pleasure" of interviewing a person who lied in the resume. It was actually funny. We were looking for candidates fluent in Spanish and even though she did not apply for a Spanish position, she mentioned in her resume that she was fluent so I though it wouldn't hurt to test her. Turns out she didn't know any word in Spanish and she wasn't very happy about the fact that her lie was discovered.

owesem75
03-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I had the pleasure of interviewing a person who also lied about his skills. In the beginning of the interview, he bragged about his computer skills and all that - I asked him to draw me a calendar using an Excel sheet and viola! he doesn't know where to start. I can understand if he told me that he was just nervous doing it, but the fact that he bragged about his other work and make so many excuses because of his pride just made it worst.

M.K
03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
The worst are the ones who don't show up. I'll never be as disappointed with somebody who's made the effort to show up on time as I am with no shows. At least make the effort to inform somebody if you can't make it.

autograph
03-12-2014, 09:20 AM
I heard this story before from a friend's friend. The story was pretty bizarre that I had a hard time believing it. The story goes like this: a woman attended an interview at the company for an entry level position. The hiring manager was confused when she pulled out a paper bag and start munching on the fries she bought. Her excuse was that she did not have lunch and hoped that the hiring manager does not mind her eating during the interview. The hiring manager leads her to the pantry to finish her lunch and told her that the interview is finished.

SmartPea85
03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
In the beginning of my small business life, I got advice to hire someone who could help me figure out the logistics of bookkeeping and financing a new business; to help budget for rent, supplies and marketing. I wanted to hire someone to help teach me about this aspect of business and to get me started. I put up a few job postings around town and online that I was looking to hire for this position. I had "interview" set up with this guy who answered my ad.

I have always done my best to look and act professional at any interview, but this guy came in looking like he didn't care at all. Sandals, a ripped t-shirt, and an attitude to sour milk. He talked down to me the whole time, maybe because he knew I didn't know much about accounting, maybe because I'm a woman? Who knows. Either way I chose NOT to hire him, as I could only foresee more problems in the future with this jerk if I did. Turns out he graduated with a degree in business, but he hardly presented himself as a "businessman." What a shame.

DomDom
03-12-2014, 03:52 PM
The most frequent question asked in these interviews is Why should we choose you or What do you have going for you ? A guy didnt know what to say to these questions and I considered it very bad.

wander_n_wonder
03-13-2014, 10:48 PM
What I don't like with most Recruiters is that they try to bully some applicants, especially when they see that the applicant does not have much experience. They feel that since they are recruiters, they have all the power in their hands. I really do not like this kind of practice and it's a major turn off for companies who do not observe their Recruiters carefully. I think they should make sure they deal with applicants positively as they serve as the first gate of outsiders towards the company. If they make a bad impression, that will be difficult to erase.

mikelouis
03-14-2014, 01:33 AM
There was a time I was on the panel interviewing the people looking for the job. So every candidate that came in had their own issues. We felt like there was no one who would be suitable to work in our company. I led to shredding all the CVs are recall for fresh interviews from other people.

Taru
03-19-2014, 02:19 AM
I once interviewed a candidate who just randomly worked in telling me a story about her family. I don't even remember the question I asked to have made her bring it up, but I surely wasn't asking about her family. It's far from being the worst interview ever, and I even found it very interesting that such a person exists that seemed to be not as "present" as most, but I just carried on with the interview for a while longer and even joked with her somewhat. Of course, ultimately, she wasn't hired, which is a shame because I think her personality was very fun and we could have used some lightness in our workplace, but sadly not enough for me to pay someone for it.