PDA

View Full Version : Turn-key (or close) mail order operation?

SteakTartare
03-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Hello all. I have been kicking around various ideas for side income and the idea of a mail order shop would work for my situation. Why? Well, thanks to my day job, I have:

Access to the web 24/7.
Plenty of storage space.
Visit the post office, generally, twice a day.

Can anyone recommend a good, legitimate, mail order option that is relatively easy to get into? I'm not looking to make a killing, just some extra income.

Thanks all for any ideas. :)

StompnNubs
03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Well I would definitely consider flipping stuff on Ebay and Amazon the first two things I would look at.

There are hundreds of blogs you can find that talk about items that are lower risk, but in reality the best place to start is with low cost items, or things you already own.

You can simply buy a few things from costco and sell them online if you can buy it at a good enough discount. Most people will just find a niche that they know about, like things they've collected in the past, items they know a lot about, items they understand the price fluctuations, and realistic price of.

The most important thing to do at first is to establish a good reputation. Sell some lower-risk items and ship them safely and fast and you'll get a good response from your customers. Once you have 10-20 good reviews you can start expanding and taking a little bit more risk on things you buy.

I started flipping at Goodwill with my phone searching things on google/amazon. If I could find something that was priced low enough to ship with a modest profit(save at least $5 for small items, larger ones up to $20), I'd buy it, take some decent pictures of it with my phone and list it. Depending on the popularity of the item you can expect to store things for as little as a day, and as long as a year or more. It's entirely random, but you can help yourself out by making your own website with all of your items and trying to drive traffic there in order to sell your stuff

SteakTartare
03-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the notes and ideas. Indeed, I am active on eBay and Amazon for personal sales and occasionally selling surplus equipment from the business. The volume and income, however, is pretty low. So, I am sort of looking for something that increases the bottom line. I can certainly invest some working capital in it, but I am not completely sure which field would be best yet.

Taru
03-21-2014, 03:02 AM
If you are already selling on Ebay, then I would recommend just expanding on your products scope. If you have a more diverse array of goods, then you'd have more chances of getting sales. I'd recommend this the most since venturing out just takes too much effort and risk, and I think it's best to utilize the resources you already have and then just build on that instead.

SteakTartare
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Good point concerning eBay. Its relatively low overhead and well established. The tough part is deciding on the type of item to add to the inventory and then move via said site.

speeduser
12-28-2020, 03:40 AM
Turn key production is really good. It will take a lot of headache from the clients. - Marla Ahlgrimm (https://www.webmd.com/marla-ahlgrimm)

HenryChinaski21
12-28-2020, 06:28 AM
It seems to me so far amazon and ebay, are out of congestion.

master007
07-11-2021, 08:38 AM
Indeed, I am active on eBay and Amazon for personal sales and occasionally selling surplus equipment from the business. The volume and income, however, is pretty low. So, I am sort of looking for something that increases the bottom line