PDA

View Full Version : Self-serve laundry?

SteakTartare
03-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Hello all. I am curious if anyone has set up or bought an existing self-service laundry for side income. It seems like a business that wouldn't command a ton of hours except for maintenance, handling the financial aspect, and of course regulatory oversight.

Has anyone done this? Would you again? Thanks much.

LindaKay
03-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I've never done it, but my grandfather owned a couple of laundromats in Virginia and did quite well with them. I think there is a good profit to be made, but you have to get high-quality equipment and make sure that it's well maintained.

SteakTartare
03-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info, Lindakay. If you don't mind me asking, where those two locations his only business operations or did they just provide side income?

Also, agreed on the maintenance factor. No one wants to do their wash in a funky facility. I'm thinking finding an existing business for sale and replacing any machines with newer ones. If its not already in place, maybe adding some vending machines too.

firelily99
03-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Depending on the age of the equipment you will possibly find yourself doing a lot of maintenance. A friend of mine had a self serve laundry business and fortunately he was mechanically skilled so he could do all of the repairs. The machines do take a beating over time so that would be something to really consider before anything else.

Gmac9100
03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
You can go to your local used appliance store, and get a washer-dryer set for $100. Nobody uses laundry services anymore.

SteakTartare
03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Nobody uses laundry services anymore.

It really depends on the location. For example, this is a college town and a lot of younger folks still use self-service laundromat. In fact, there are several in operation day and night.

bingaguilar
03-20-2014, 03:32 AM
Yes, I agree with SteakTartare, I think it depends on the location. If you choose a location that's near an area where there are lots of college students or single, working professionals then I think it will be a lucrative business. I live in the Philippines and most of us do our laundry at home. But laundry shops here are still in demand especially in areas where water is expensive or not supplied regularly, but most especially in areas with college students living in dormitories. In fact, I think the self-serve laundry would be a big hit in the Philippines since most of the laundry shops here take about two to three days to deliver laundry.

Jessi
03-21-2014, 08:08 AM
It really depends on the location. For example, this is a college town and a lot of younger folks still use self-service laundromat. In fact, there are several in operation day and night.

Exactly. In fact, a LOT of places still use laundromats as their main location for laundry. Sometimes apartment complexes will have their own laundry areas, but if they are frequently full or don't work very well, then people tend to go to a laundromat instead. It's also more convenient for some people to drop their clothes at a laundromat in the morning, switch them at lunch time, and pick them up on a break while they're at work instead of trying to do laundry in the evenings.

autograph
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
The success of this kind of business largely depend on the demographic of the people where your business operates. If you are starting new, you may find that those machines are not cheap. You have to be able to estimate the most effective number of machines you require to generate a good stream of income. If you are buying an existing ones, remember to check the warranty of the machines and/or if they have been properly maintained. The one thing I am always concerned from buying a second hand stuff is the robustness of the product. You would not want to pay for maintenance every week because your machine is always acting out.

nick87
03-23-2014, 07:42 PM
This is exactly what I've been thinking about lately. I wonder if there are any untapped college towns right now. If you can get a laundromat within walking distance of college dorms, you can make bank. People hate using the usually few machines that are almost always occupied at the school that generally costs more than a laundromat. Put free wi-fi and you'll have tons of students coming in, staying for a long time, getting tons of loads of laundry done.

mikelouis
03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
If you have a great location with people who do not have laundry rooms at home, then am sure you will get quite a number of customers. I also think with the number of machines that you might have installed, you will get a number of customers.

Taru
03-24-2014, 02:54 AM
I'd only be for this idea if the potential rate of income will pay for the machines and rent in 2 years or less. Even if these types of businesses are still profitable now, it's difficult to predict that it will stick around as technology advances and these appliances get cheaper and cheaper for the average consumer household. If your location is conducive for such a business, then I'd agree that it's a good way to gain passive income, but keep in mind that it will still require a fair amount of management in terms of maintenance and security as well.

fredkawig
03-24-2014, 06:16 AM
My cousin has her own laundry business and it's really profitable specially if you have a lot of lazy people to do their laundry for you.

SteakTartare
03-24-2014, 01:26 PM
My cousin has her own laundry business and it's really profitable specially if you have a lot of lazy people to do their laundry for you.

So her business model isn't self-service, but rather she (or an employee) does the laundry? I'd imagine the profit margin is higher, but I don't have the time to invest in something like that. Well, not at this juncture anyway.

Eagles910
03-24-2014, 05:42 PM
If you have a great location with people who do not have laundry rooms at home, then am sure you will get quite a number of customers. I also think with the number of machines that you might have installed, you will get a number of customers.

This is absolutely correct. A laundry service is solely dependent on location, because most home owners already own a washer, and dryer. Like I said in an earlier post. The best place to open a laundry service is in low income areas, or places like new York city, where owning a washer, and dryer is rare.

Jessi
03-24-2014, 07:22 PM
This is absolutely correct. A laundry service is solely dependent on location, because most home owners already own a washer, and dryer. Like I said in an earlier post. The best place to open a laundry service is in low income areas, or places like new York city, where owning a washer, and dryer is rare.

Now that you mention NYC....

It's also good to consider the option of having an on-site attendant who can be paid to handle the laundry for busy people who may need to do laundry during the day or even have a quick dry cleaning/pressing service. This is great for busy professionals.

HeinrichM
03-25-2014, 04:57 AM
The market that you decide to target will be key to the success of the venture. Focusing on college towns with a venue close to dorms will be a viable option. If you go ahead and include free wi-fi and vending machines, your potential turnover will increase. The biggest risk will be the overhead costs (maintenance, new equipment, rent) and you need to conduct a proper exercise to determine the breakeven point of the business. This can then be broken down to the number of visitors that you need monthly to cover your costs. It might be a good idea to do a survey prior to opening your business to gauge the need of this type of service.

eagle22
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
My neighbor actually just bought one! Seems to be doing well for him so far, he just graduated college and he said he is able to use it to pay off his tuition, so I would say it's doing pretty well for him!

SteakTartare
03-26-2014, 08:57 AM
My neighbor actually just bought one! Seems to be doing well for him so far, he just graduated college and he said he is able to use it to pay off his tuition, so I would say it's doing pretty well for him!

Very nice. Do you know how big of an operation it is? Did he mention if the initial investment was particularly onerous?

vondes
03-15-2019, 02:46 PM
How to choose a washing machine for laundry? The most important indicator is 1) reliability (will be washed almost every day), 2) 1000 turns 3) load of laundry from 5 kg. While the choice fell on https://ianboer.com.au, because they have a warranty on some washing machines 5 years! (What do you think about this?). They have a voltage stabilizer against surges. We need a reliable and eternal washing machine.

essencepk
11-11-2019, 12:48 AM
A self-service laundry, coin laundry, laundromat or coin wash is a facility where clothes are washed and dried without much personalized professional help.

Entrepreneur Ride Along
03-13-2020, 02:41 PM
I've done a bunch of research on it and decided against it. Here's why:

Costs

According to this article at entrepreneur.com, getting into this business can be pricey. The article states “you also need to consider that getting into the laundry business requires a large initial investment. The average-size laundromat could cost you in the neighborhood of $200,000 to $500,000 -- whether you choose to purchase an existing laundry or build one in a retail space.”

Profit

The upside is a laundromat business can be very profitable. As stated in this same entrepreneur.com article: “The amount of money you can make from a laundry varies tremendously. According to the Coin Laundry Association's Brian Wallace, the annual gross income from one store can range from $30,000 to $1 million. The expenses incurred while running a store range between 65 and 115 percent of the gross income. That means that for a store grossing $30,000 per year, at best it nets $10,500 and at worst it loses $4,500. For a store grossing $1 million per year, the profit could be as high as $350,000, or there could be a loss of up to $150,000, depending on expenses. Wallace says these profit margins have less to do with the size of the store than with its owner. An owner who runs his or her store well-who keeps it clean, repairs its equipment quickly, uses energy-efficient systems and offers good customer service-will see profit margins of about 35 percent.”

HappyStop8
03-26-2020, 02:53 AM
Hello everyone, now there are a lot of good ones on the market of washing machines, but personally I use a portable washing machine about which you can read the view site here, this is a very convenient and practical machine, it has very great functionality, and at the same time remains the smallest and most convenient in operation by typewriter.

Darren51
03-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Hi,I came across this a little while ago.I havent been using it long and Im already seeing result.Not Big results,just small ones,but success takes time.If you want to know more,click the link below. https\\12a6e3jb23wuen5g1pf6ul0010.hop.clickbank.ne t

Triman
01-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Hi guys, my microwave broke down 3 months ago. After that, I started looking for a good service. So my choice is based on the opinion of a friend and microwave oven repair san jose (https://5starappliancerepair.pro/san-jose/). Since I prefer a reliable service provider because it is an electronic item and a valuable product. The guys came the next day and fixed my microwave the same day.

Lilykevin86
02-13-2021, 01:30 AM
A self-administration clothing, coin clothing or coin wash is an office where garments are washed and dried. They are referred to in the United Kingdom as launderettes or launderettes, and in the United States, Canada, and Australia as laundromats or washeterias. George Edward Pend beam made "laundromat" for Westinghouse.

Lilykevin86
03-03-2021, 04:11 AM
A self-administration clothing, coin clothing, laundromat or coin wash is an office where garments are washed and dried absent a lot of customized proficient assistance. Laundromats are referred to in the United Kingdom as launderettes or launderettes, and in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as laundromats.

Keyonspot
03-05-2021, 06:04 PM
In case you're bolted out of your vehicle and have an emergency aides administration call them before a locksmith (http://keyonspotlocksmith.com). Ordinarily, these lock out administrations are remembered for the participation or despite the fact that the vehicle sales center or insurance agency relying upon when you purchased the vehicle.

Lilykevin86
03-05-2021, 11:23 PM
A self-administration clothing, coin clothing or coin wash is an office where garments are washed and dried. They are referred to in the United Kingdom as launderettes or launderettes, and in the United States, Canada, and Australia as laundromats or washeterias. George Edward Pend ray made "laundromat" for Westinghouse.

lishmaliny
03-25-2021, 01:43 AM
The high rate of success, excellent ROI, flexibility, scalability, and easy-to-manage cash flow make laundromats a smart choice for new and experienced small business investors.

Triman
04-25-2021, 04:49 PM
If you are from San Diego, you can contact with freezer repair (https://anbappliance.com/freezer-repair/). Here, you can get 24/7. emergency services for refrigerator or freezer or cooler room repair services. Their experts are deliver quality & friendly services which is really too good. Also, their commercial fridge repairs services is really awesome.I had a wonderful experience with this company.

lishmaliny
05-07-2021, 10:23 AM
A self-service laundry, coin laundry, laundromat or coin wash is a facility where clothes are washed and dried without much personalized professional help.

RafiGroup21
05-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Rafi Group is one of the premium and most trusted land developers serving the real estate sector across Pakistan since 1978. The company is based in Lahore and has rich experience in constantly innovating to develop iconic properties and projects that have always been ahead of their time. Gwadar housing scheme | Gwadar land investment | Plot on installment in Gwadar

RafiGroup21
05-18-2021, 11:31 PM
Green Palms Housing Project features both residential and commercial plots. It has been designed as per international standards and comes equipped with high-end lifestyle amenities. The housing project is a few minutes’ drive from the sea which adds to the serenity of the housing project. CPEC property investment | Property in Gwadar | CPEC investment | Gwadar real estate

raviseo121
05-23-2021, 07:16 AM
thanks for sharing with us