PDA

View Full Version : Motivating Staff

HeinrichM
03-19-2014, 06:54 AM
One of the more challenging areas of any business is the motivation of staff. It is important to keep your staff focused and motivated in order to achieve high levels of service. I have found that personal interaction with staff members and clear communication are key areas. It helps a lot if you know what makes your staff member "tick". Do you have any specific tools or processes that you use to motivate your staff?

Mafdet
03-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I always try to make them aware at all times of the status of our achievements, send them weekly results e-mails. I always congratulate the top performers publicly and encourage the others to join the competition. I try to determine them to work like a team but at the same time to want to be the best and to learn from one another.

DomDom
03-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Maybe financial bonuses for certain goals ?

Gmac9100
03-19-2014, 08:26 PM
One of the more challenging areas of any business is the motivation of staff. It is important to keep your staff focused and motivated in order to achieve high levels of service. I have found that personal interaction with staff members and clear communication are key areas. It helps a lot if you know what makes your staff member "tick". Do you have any specific tools or processes that you use to motivate your staff?

The best way to motivate your staff is to run a strict ship. Set high standards so that they no bad work habits will not be tolerated. If you fail to do that they will take your kindness as a weakness, and do whatever they want.

mikelouis
03-20-2014, 12:17 AM
I think the best way will be making sure that your staff is motivated is if you are going to be a listening manager. You need to listen to the problems of your employees and see how to make them work for you better.

alec
03-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Interact with your employees and try to be a friendly but professional manager. Offer financial incentives when certain business targets are achieved. Make some contests where the prize is a cheap item or some delivery food. Encourage friendly competition by making monthly charts with the best performing employees. We are all human, just listen to their needs and they'll be happy to be productive and do their job.

Rainman
03-20-2014, 08:49 AM
The best way to motivate your staff and make them work even harder is to make them feel at home in the business. Let them know that if what the company earns goes up, everyone benefits from that. If you create that feeling in workers that they're more than just employees to you but actual business partners they will strive to do all they can to see that the business succeeds.

If all fails, you could offer perks to employees whose performance you're impressed with. The rest will get jealous and work harder to get your attention and perks.

TheStoryteller1
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
The best way to motivate your staff and make them work even harder is to make them feel at home in the business. Let them know that if what the company earns goes up, everyone benefits from that. If you create that feeling in workers that they're more than just employees to you but actual business partners they will strive to do all they can to see that the business succeeds.

If all fails, you could offer perks to employees whose performance you're impressed with. The rest will get jealous and work harder to get your attention and perks.

I agree about the "feeling at home". I had a boss when I worked for a summer as housekeeper, that made us feel like family. That always made me try to do better work. She asked us how we are, made sure to help when someone wasn't feeling well and always encouraged us. There wasn't a set thing you get if you perform better, but she made us feel at home, so I always tried to do the best job I can- and eventually, those of us who were putting in effort got noticeably more hours whenever there was less work, and were also invited to take the night shift (it's bigger responsibility, because only 1-2 people stay from the housekeeping staff).
At that same job, the person above our boss visited sometimes, and she was a lot more strict and liked to yell at people to get them to the stuff. I didn't like that, and she could rarely get me to put as much effort- I only did it for the sake of my direct boss.

There was a saying, that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar or something of sorts. I think it's true. Being nicer to people and showing appreciation of their work(without letting them walk all over you) can bring better results.

Linvall
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
One of the more challenging areas of any business is the motivation of staff. It is important to keep your staff focused and motivated in order to achieve high levels of service. I have found that personal interaction with staff members and clear communication are key areas. It helps a lot if you know what makes your staff member "tick". Do you have any specific tools or processes that you use to motivate your staff?Just trying to be a people person is a big step towards motivating your staff. You have to be approachable; staff shouldn't fear seeing you explode before them over simple matters. Therefore, to motivate staff, you have to work on you. You have to motivate you. You must maintain tolerance, patience and understanding at all time. No matter how much you find it difficult to deal with a particular employee, you must still communicate with them and even call them when they're at home just to find out how they are doing. At the same time, they must understand the level of authority and still realize that you will be impartial in passing judgement or evaluations.

Linvall
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
The best way to motivate your staff is to run a strict ship. Set high standards so that they no bad work habits will not be tolerated. If you fail to do that they will take your kindness as a weakness, and do whatever they want.

I think you can strike a balance. Enforce the rules, yet be kind and approachable. Staff will hide things from you and even try to get rid of you, when they realize that you are authoritarian and you lack empathy.

Eagles910
03-21-2014, 02:36 PM

I agree with this. you can not be friends with your employees, just like you cannot be friends with your kids. You need to establish respect. Kindness is considered weakness, I am not saying that you should be an A-hole, but you need to set a standard.

wandering wildman
03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi Storyteller1, I completely agree with you that the bosses that make you feel like family are always very motivating. The knowledge that I am respected will always make me drive way beyond my own ability. You don't want to let the boss down if they are that nice to you. I suppose some people would see that as a sign of weakness and take advantage of these bosses. I still believe in the general good of people. That is why I think it pays off in the long run to always treat your employees with respect and kindness.

bingaguilar
03-22-2014, 02:11 AM
I agree with Linvall. The key here is to "speak softly, but carry a big stick" ;).

You can't be too kind because some people might see this as a sign of weakness and take advantage of you. You can't be too strict and imposing either because that would drive people away. I think the best thing to do is to make your employees comfortable enough without letting them get lax on the job. Try to learn more about your employees, observe them for awhile and see which approach is best for each one of them. Always treat them fairly and most importantly, don't show any favoritism. People are more inspired to do their best when they feel that they are on equal standing with everyone else. Be kind, approachable and friendly but don't let them forget who's boss :)

DomDom
03-22-2014, 05:45 AM
I agree with Linvall. The key here is to "speak softly, but carry a big stick" ;).

You can't be too kind because some people might see this as a sign of weakness and take advantage of you. You can't be too strict and imposing either because that would drive people away. I think the best thing to do is to make your employees comfortable enough without letting them get lax on the job. Try to learn more about your employees, observe them for awhile and see which approach is best for each one of them. Always treat them fairly and most importantly, don't show any favoritism. People are more inspired to do their best when they feel that they are on equal standing with everyone else. Be kind, approachable and friendly but don't let them forget who's boss :)

Haha good one! I agree with you, you have to be strict so they know there is no messing around and be friends when they are doing a good job.

fredkawig
03-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Yeah. You can do a lot of things to motivate them by giving them incentives once in a while. Depending on the needs of your staff, you can give the incentives either in cash or goods and etc.

tinyfang
03-22-2014, 05:19 PM
A few things I've learned over the years:

1) Don't be the boss that is too nice. Don't let your employees step all over you. Keep with your ethics, be honest, but also be observant and act according to the situation.

2) Give out incentives for top achievers. Treat everyone to a nice dinner or lunch every now and then.

3) Be fair. Don't take sides. Don't dwell on the past, but make note of them.

4) Set timelines. Don't leave it up to the people to set their own.

5) Compliment on their strengths and work, but don't do it too often. Work out a balance between a principled leader and coach, as well as a manager and boss.

autograph
03-23-2014, 01:53 AM
Personal interaction is usually the first step to build a better relationship with your staffs. Depending on your business nature, you can give extra perks for those overachiever (i.e. exceeds the sales quota required). People will usually get more motivated when extra benefits are rewarded. Also, do not forget to hold a team building event to promote synergy and establish a good relationship between every team members. A good workplace environment will do wonder in motivating your staffs to perform well.

difrancprod
03-23-2014, 05:39 AM
A regular inspirational talk or like a staff meeting will do. If you have seen the Wolf of Wall Street, you will know what I mean on how Leonardo Di Caprio's character handled it.

Taru
03-24-2014, 03:12 AM
I think it's just best to make them feel appreciated, in general. Most of the time, when the staff is under-performing, it's usually because they start to see their roles as just ordinary, but a motivated employee who feels appreciated feels more inspired to live up to that standard. I agree that daily interaction and just a general openness to hear them out is usually enough for them to feel good about the job that they do and the company that they work for.

DomDom
03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
A few things I've learned over the years:

1) Don't be the boss that is too nice. Don't let your employees step all over you. Keep with your ethics, be honest, but also be observant and act according to the situation.

2) Give out incentives for top achievers. Treat everyone to a nice dinner or lunch every now and then.

3) Be fair. Don't take sides. Don't dwell on the past, but make note of them.

4) Set timelines. Don't leave it up to the people to set their own.

5) Compliment on their strengths and work, but don't do it too often. Work out a balance between a principled leader and coach, as well as a manager and boss.

Great post, I agree with everything you said. Learning this stuff takes years of experience.

Eagles910
03-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah. You can do a lot of things to motivate them by giving them incentives once in a while. Depending on the needs of your staff, you can give the incentives either in cash or goods and etc.

I do not believe in this. Why should I give an employee an incentive for doing their job? I refuse to do that. My policy is, either you do your job right, or your fired. There are too many people out there that need jobs for me to accept negligence from an employee.

SteakTartare
03-24-2014, 11:39 PM
I do not believe in this. Why should I give an employee an incentive for doing their job? I refuse to do that. My policy is, either you do your job right, or your fired. There are too many people out there that need jobs for me to accept negligence from an employee.

^ This, more or less. The company I am with does give year-end bonuses to key staff. Beyond that, though, a salary, benefits, and a steady job should be a pretty good motivation for staff to meet their responsibilities to the company. Particularly in this insane economy.

Lostvalleyguy
03-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Different types of businesses attract different types of employees. What might work to keep one group motivated may not work for another group. Perks can help, but it has to appeal to the employees. It does not have to be expensive but it does have to show that you are paying attention to their needs. Year end bonuses are always appreciated, but staff parties are not appreciated as much by some employees. Flexible timetables can be a free perk if you manage it correctly with the right staff and the staff don't make it impossible to get work done. Having a coffee service can be a perk if the employees routinely have to leave to get coffee.

Look to the reasons why they employees came to you in the first place. That should give you some idea of what motivates them. If there is nothing unique about the job, then there isn't likely much you can do but pay more (it will keep them happier, but wont truly motivate them).

Jane Hastings
03-26-2014, 12:00 AM
The best way to motivate your staff and to keep them motivated is to make sure you know them. Take a moment to talk to them and hear them out. Ask them if they're growing or improving and ask them for their ideas. Make them feel at home and interact with them like they are part of your family. If they are comfortable with you then everything will be smooth but of course, make sure they know their limitations. If they are doing good, let them know and congratulate them. If they are doing bad, let them know and teach them how to improve and be better. Employees want to work in a place where they know they will grow as an individual.

MahaKarthi
03-23-2015, 04:27 AM
I think everyone could take a leaf out of Piterion's book. They have very good employee satisfaction levels owing to their perks, benefits and transparent appraisal policies. My friend who works there keeps raving about her vacation trips and work life balance that sometimes it does get to me! I believe monetary rewards are ultimately what can keep employees from moving while a postivie work place will encourage them to come to work daily.

paulehug
11-12-2015, 09:42 PM
The one thing which I miss most about my past job is my worker benefits when it comes to hospitalisation. Since I'm no more a health care professional, I have to pay in my medicines, check-up, and so on.

In my opinion, to maintain your business working well, it doesn't end with getting professional people. It is also about discovering how you can strengthen your relationships together, and keep them within the firm for a long time. Most often, companies might have similar offerings to job applicants, which includes the pay. What sets companies aside from each other will be the benefits that they are giving to employees. It's also not a secret that hopeful employees do think about this when thinking when they should accept a job offer. To be able to welcome aboard skilled people, you’d should also keep the rewards system competitive.

donswift90
03-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Employee imagination and creativity can feed into the innovations made by a new business.
All businesses must evolve to remain competitive,if employees are not motivated, they will not offer ideas which will help the company maintain its market share or gain new clients.

littleHR
03-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Motivating employees is part of the manager's job requirements. Human Resources can support the manager by facilitating his or her needs to motivate employees. Although there are a number of methods that work well, I have most often come across motivation through accountability. People generally want the opportunity to leave their footprint in their work and have an impact on the company. So, managers should assign a project with expected results and HR could help provide training, if needed, for the employees to achieve those results. The employees would be accountable and have themselves to answer to first. The project could be small starting out, with all the same attributes: deadlines, expected results, workload balance, and accountability.

Charliedj
03-31-2016, 06:31 AM
Maybe financial bonuses for certain goals ?

donswift90
04-04-2016, 07:17 AM
I think to motivate the employes, company must celebrate the victories.... It can be small or big... does not matter..

SmallBusinessSamurai
04-12-2016, 10:48 AM
I discovered that active leadership is the best way to motivate my team. As a business owner it was a strange and unexpected awakening. And something I wish Iíd learnt a lot earlier!

I love Sundays and I was sleeping in after a long week when something snapped me awake, as if some strong hand reached down and pulled me toward the light.

Let me give you some background. I used to own a cocktail bar and I was a pretty intense boss Ė a control freak convinced that no one could do a better job than me. In some ways that was true- I had been working in bars since I was 18 and had nearly 20 years experience working at some of the best bars in the world. I was extremely confident in my job and I took great pride in the way that I did it.

This attitude also got results. The bar was successful, it had won numerous awards and as a result I only hired the best people. It was a great bar.

Yet for all of that I was still working 80-hour weeks and only just getting by financially. There was always someone or something I could blame, so it took me a long time to figure out that I was actually my biggest problem.

Like most bartenders I was a glory hog. My default style of management was to take tasks away from my team, rather than empowering them to do a great job without me. When they messed up I would resign myself to my falsely held truth Ė you just canít find good staff!

Sound familiar?

Then it all started to fall apart. A couple of great guys quit because they couldnít stand my management style. Iím fortunate that one of them cared enough to tell me, and Iím grateful I had the humility to take it on board.

Once I gave my team more responsibility a funny thing started to happen. They responded to my trust and really started taking the tasks on board. They were so enthusiastic that they started to come up with their own ideas on how we might improve things. And for the first time I was actually open to receive them. The tide of control had turned and I gained a very helpful insightÖ

Itís not hard to find great staff, itís to find great bosses.

Basically we are talking about becoming a leader in your business, not just an owner or a manager. And this change in approach is a two-step process.

The first step is to cut the criticism. Very few people actually work harder when you criticize everything they do. Most people try their best for a while and then settle into average performance. They know that youíll never appreciate their best efforts so thereís no incentive to be better. Instead, set up clear performance guidelines so that everyone knows what success and failure look like, take the time to support your team and then give them the freedom to find their own way to the goal.

The second step is to pounce on the positive. Actively look for opportunities to praise your team celebrate their success. There is a reason that sporting teams celebrate each time they score (and itís not because they like group hugs). When you celebrate your victories you reinforce the behaviour that created that result.

Before this Iíd never really thought about leadership. It always seemed to relate to people greater than me Ė sporting heroes, politicians, captains of industry. But that morning I realized that it relates to all of us. There is always an opportunity for each of us to be leaders in our life. As a small business owner it definitely relates to how we choose to lead our team. Once I gave my team clear goals and actively celebrated their efforts they blossomed in the light of my recognition and praise. Without really trying I moved from manager to leader and my team moved from good to great.

Small shifts in thinking can lead to big shifts in results. For me, this was one of those small shifts. And the result was the difference between working 80 hours a week and just getting by, to working 30 hours a week and getting rich.

So if youíre a small business owner then hopefully this simple idea can help move you from stuck to inspired, it can help you take your business to the next level and it can finally allow you to claim back your life.

If youíd like to receive more insights from my life in business please register for my mailing list at http://small-business-samurai.launchrock.com

loyaanderson
04-13-2016, 02:31 AM
Yes, Motivating an employee brings out efficient work. Recognizing the work brings in continuous improvement.

Christine Andola
04-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Getting to know your employees is a good place to start. Many of my clients are so extremely focused on the success of their business that they do not bother to consider the workplace from the staff's point of view. Understanding that what motivates you is not necessarily the same as what motivates them is an important premise to begin from.

nick@orioleadvisors.com
08-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Employer sponsored Profit Sharing or 401(k) plans can be great motivators. Employer contributions to a retirement plan are tax deductible and are not subject to payroll taxes. Therefore, it is a more efficient way to bonus an employee than simply running a bonus payroll. Also, employer contributions can be setup with a vesting schedule so that an employee must reach a certain level of seniority before they are eligible to withdraw those funds from their retirement account. Should an employee terminate employment prior to reaching the required seniority, the unvested portion of their account is forfeited... thus, reducing the actual cost to the employer to provide the benefit. Just note, retirement plans require some work to maintain... Send me an email to discuss further. Helping businesses with their retirement plans and employee financial wellness programs is what I do all day.

SZ Alliance
08-29-2016, 03:09 AM
Always try to hire the right people. When you first hire them, look at their personal history and references. Try to set the bar up high when you hire and make sure they understand that they will need to perform at the highest level.

In terms of motivating the staff, you can always run contests, offer commissions and also other things like competitions.

ipap2
09-14-2016, 12:52 AM
Companies should go out to travel to motivate employees IMO.

ArvidBenyev
10-05-2016, 01:11 PM
For me, how to motivate you staff is to make them feel at home into your company. Give them some Awards in every achievement that they done. Feel them like a family not just only an employee.

wandi09
01-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Are you trying to make it systematically? such as creating a Key Performance Indicator for your employees?

At the company where I work, the company's sales of office equipment such as fax machines, and Panasonic Panaboard PABX implement such a system. so that they are motivated.

dmankit
01-20-2017, 03:19 AM
One can motivate his/her staff by giving his/ her a little time to their staff. You can listen what problems they face while working and giving some relief to them.

TheDogLine
01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
I was a staff before and I have subordinates of my own. One of the biggest motivation is bonuses. If they know they can get something of worth because of their hardwork, they will definitely work harder. Bonuses are not just money given to staff, they are appreciative gestures to let them know that they gave value to the company and thus they got their bonus.

Another motivating move is to appreciate their little efforts by talking to them or even telling them "Nice Work" or "Good Job". This will let them know that they are being observed and appreciated for their good work.

smartkpis
01-21-2017, 03:37 AM

I think kindness is key. We can be strict and set high standards, but being professional does not mean that one cannot be nice. On the other hand, I see your point that we cannot persistently be kind and nice but let others do whatever they want without following the rules. Instead, I think it is better to be both professional with setting high standards by implementing kindness elements. The most important thing is to set clear instructions with setting how you want it done to what it should be in the final result.

SamuelKennedy
02-21-2020, 01:48 AM
There are multiple ways to motivate staff & every business owner apply various trick to motivate their staff such as Interaction with Staff, Going Out for Lunch with Staff, Presenting some Gifts to them, etc.
Even most of the business use Employee Tracking Software to monitor their work activities & motivate them according to their working performance.

annedroee
02-26-2020, 02:31 AM
yes, you are right. I appreciate it. I am also a worker and i am also facing this problem.

annedroee
03-05-2020, 01:20 AM
No. There is nothing like that.

Degetin
03-14-2020, 12:55 PM
When your employees are motivated - and ideally engaged - a company can benefit greatly. Therefore it is a topic close to my heart as well. Besides good communication, it is important to set clear expectations and to recognize their contributions. Moreover, providing training and development opportunities helps with motivation as well.

SamuelKennedy
04-06-2020, 03:15 AM
Effective ways to motivate your business staff are as follows:-
Share your vision and set clear goals
Communicate with your staff
Encourage teamwork
A healthy office environment
Give positive feedback and reward your team
Provide opportunities for development
Don't punish failure
Foster collaboration within the team
Pay your people what they are worth
Avoid useless meetings, etc.

Carol_Smith
05-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Keeping up the staff motivation during this crisis when the majority of businesses had to go for remote work (https://scalefusion.com/mdm-for-work-from-home) is very crucial. Encouraging and empowering employees with motivational activities work best.

MMPR
06-15-2020, 04:38 AM
Gamify and Incentivize. ...

Tell Them You Trust Them. ...

Set Smaller Weekly Goals. ...

Give Your Employees Purpose. ...

Transmit Positivity. ...

Be Transparent. ...

Spur Individuals Rather Than the Team. ...

Realize What Makes Each Employee Tick.

Martiniwiz
06-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Hello Heinrich! Check this platform out, and let me know what you think. Swiff is a start-up application that's main focus is assisting people and companies to get back to work efficiently post-COVID-19. The application offers screening, wellness, and tracking tools, the three things any company needs to get back to work. The objective is to get people back to work as safe and as efficient as possible. https://www.swiffdev.com/

TangelThor
11-03-2020, 12:35 AM
8 Highly Effective Ways to Motivate Employees
1. Gamify and Incentivize.
2. Let Them Know You Trust Them.
3. Set Smaller Weekly Goals.
4. Give Your Employees Purpose.
5. Radiate Positivity.
6. Be Transparent.
7. Motivate Individuals Rather Than the Team.
8. Learn What Makes Each Employee Tick.

c.m.t
02-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Employee feedback and recognition (https://www.pavestep.com/post/employee-recognition) are two cost effective ways to motivate employees! Employees want to feel valued for their work. If they aren't feeling like they are contributing to anything or if they feel like their work goes unnoticed, they will be demotivated and disengaged.

Effective goal alignment is also critical. As said above, employees want to feel like their work is contributing to something. Make sure to align their individual goals to overall team objectives and organizational objectives.

Goal alignment, feedback, and recognition don't cost a cent!

I would suggest meeting with your employees twice a month and give them feedback on their progress, see if they need help with any tasks, and recognize their efforts and work. The meeting doesn't have to be long - 10 minutes can be sufficient. These meetings might seem frivolous, but they are a great way to show your employees you value them.

kfirco2
02-20-2021, 07:36 PM
Locksmiths (https://dknylocksmith.com/) know about metal locking frameworks, just as electronic security frameworks and card-actuated frameworks. Hire a Locksmith to introduce, fix, and change secures everything from vehicles to office buildings, and they additionally offer administrations to individuals who are bolted out or people who need to talk with somebody about their security frameworks.

Vancouverwe34
02-24-2021, 04:42 PM
You don’t need to call “your guy” or to go to a dispensary anymore! You can order weed on your phone and get that weed delivered (https://cannascore.net/weed-delivery-vancouver/) directly to your door

johngordon
03-19-2021, 09:24 AM
You can also look at this from a turnover You can also look at this as a turnover problem. When your staff is unmotivated it will lead to higher turnover. There is this blog article (https://www.hyrestaff.com/what-is-employee-turnover-rate/) that explained how to reduce turnover rates by having positive team culture, competitive perks, setting upp a rewarding workplace and have opportunities for growth. I would really suggest having a look at the article.