PDA

View Full Version : How Many Employees Can I Hire?

DrakeD
03-19-2014, 09:13 PM
With all the new laws and Obama Care, I am nervouse about hiring employees. I had always planned to do so. I have only just now gottenin to a position where I am ready to begin hiring staff.

How many employees can I hire before things start getting complex with laws and the taxman? Would it be better to just take people on as contractors, and save myself all the hassles of employees?

Rainman
03-22-2014, 07:13 AM
How many employees you hire or [don't] if it's not good for you is entirely dependent on the kind of business you own, the profits you expect to make after you pay all your employees - - among other factors. Of course considering hiring workers as independent contractors is an option there's always the possibility that a contractor won't hang around if they don't like you, get someone who pays them better or if they just don't feel like coming to work.

Before deciding to hire an employee full-time or as a part-time independent contractor, you'll have to weight all the pros and cons. For a brick and mortar business I'd suggest getting yourself employees, who'll come to work every day.

Taru
03-22-2014, 08:10 AM
I agree with Rainman, you can just hire contractors first then just slowly build up your employment base from there if you are nervous about having to deal with taxes and insurance. In my opinion, it's best to not rush into things as much as you can, especially if you are left feeling uneasy with such decisions. If you do still prefer to hire employees, then just get a professional as well to keep you safe and on the right track.

autograph
03-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Since you mentioned you are just ready to start hiring people, it might be a good idea to only hire as minimum staffs as possible. Just make sure that the people you hired is able to carry out your day to day operations. You can then decide to expand your employees number based on your experience. If you want to play it safe, as others have mentioned, start off with contractors.

DrakeD
03-22-2014, 03:03 PM
I own 20 properties, and a total of 25 units. I want to make a lot of profit and pay as little as possible in taxes and employment benefits. I have had people work for me who I paid with cash, and if they reported it, well that is their problem.

Your right, these people can not really be trusted. Since my employees have to be able to go out to houses, some with renters. I need people I can trust.

That is why I have only just now started thinking about getting official employees. One of my "workers" stole something out of a tenants home! I thought people had better morals than that here in Ohio, but it is Dayton, so I guess I was wrong.

So, what your saying is that people i hire on as employees are more likely to do their job and not try to rip me off? I guess that saves me money that could go towards having the employee.

useruseruser
03-22-2014, 05:44 PM
To be honest, I cant really tell without you supplying more details. I can say that you shouldn't rush into hiring a huge staff. I would recommend that you slowly hire one person at a time. This will help you avoid stressing out over the matter.

Lostvalleyguy
03-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Begin by defining your staffing budget. Is it $100 per week or $10,000 per week? Ask yourself how much experience is needed to do the job(s). If it is no experience needed, then minimum wage can determine the number of hours you hire. If skills are required (sounds like you may be looking for a handyman type), find out what the going rate is and make your determination from there. You can hire independent contractors who will cover their own medical etc., but you will likely want to pay a little more for reliability and expertise.

Don't pay cash or under-the-table as employees who want to circumnavigate taxes are already untrustworthy.

mikelouis
03-23-2014, 01:47 AM
It all depends with what your business needs to thrive. If your business needs more employees then am sure you will not have any other option other than hiring new employees or else watch your business fall.

difrancprod
03-23-2014, 05:51 AM
I will actually advice that you don't hire right away. Start building on your own first. Then hire one or two people along the way.

fredkawig
03-23-2014, 10:28 AM
That's what's really awful. People tend to hire people for a short term like on a contractual basis because of the scare that gets to people.

DomDom
03-23-2014, 02:57 PM
You should hire as many as you can afford and need for your business to function normally!

career123
03-21-2017, 04:45 AM
employment very important in any company.
http://www.colblog.com/the-best-career-options/

tonmoy07
05-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Hire the minimum employees you need to hire to done the job. That's the best option.