PDA

View Full Version : How to handle redundancy

jenita.richardson
03-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Can any one tell me how to handle redundancy or prepare for the threat of losing your job? Suggest some legal advice.

alec
03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
I think the best way to handle redundancy is to make yourself needed at your job, if possible. Do they need help with something? Get involved and learn how to do that thing. I'm not saying you should do extra hours but that every time an opportunity arises try to be the person that gets things done. This way you'll become the go to person for all sorts of problems instead of being limited to one thing only and thus becoming redundant.

sgreenwood
03-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Absolutely take any opportunity for cross training, that way you will be more valuable to the company.

fredkawig
03-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Credentials and the work you exert are usually the reason why people are maintained at their work. You should definitely try to become a cut above the rest.

gHiros
03-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Can any one tell me how to handle redundancy or prepare for the threat of losing your job? Suggest some legal advice.

I guess the first step would be to contact your HR Dept. and get informed regarding your rights if selected for redundancy. That may include transfer rights to another office, as well as receiving some amount of redundancy payment. As others have mentioned, it's good if you can get some cross-training so that it can prepare you for other opportunities when the time comes.

wandering wildman
03-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Cross training is a great start to this. Also, start making suggestions for operational improvements of the business. If one tactfully, people within your organization will see you as a great leader when you do this!

Taru
03-27-2014, 04:25 AM
If you like working for your particular company, then make it known by taking an interest on the overall workings. I think most employers are keen to notice those who aren't in the workplace just to collect a salary. Your enthusiasm alone can provide for a great advantage to them, and it would be wise for them to see it, and if not, then your efforts and time might be worth more elsewhere anyway.

owesem75
03-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Think to be different and acquire new skills to be different. You cannot be redundant unless you are doing your job perfectly. Sometimes, we have to check our stand in the organization once in a while. Some managers pass on tasks to somebody else when the person they hire seems not meeting his expectations.. this is the start of redundancy.. so either you improve what you do.. or learn new things to be totally different.

george.shepard
03-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Yes, they can ask as they have a duty of care to their employees and need to know how it could affect her/his daily work.