PDA

View Full Version : Hours and Hours of Unsuccessful Searching

Deb
02-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I have spent countless hours searching for information/guides on opening a gourmet popcorn shop. Even though it's the world wide web it seems nothing exists out there for this! :(

Does anyone have any advice on where to get this information? Whenever I was not interested in opening a business I saw countless "How To" books and now that I want a specific one, of course it's nowhere to be found.

The only other thing I've thought of to do is to e-mail some specific sites that offer this produce over the web. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they are going to respond with any information (even though I've clearly told them I'm in a completely different state).

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Deb

glb2
02-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Try searching Google for popcorn shop franchise. Not suggesting you get a franchise, but there are at least a couple of franchises that pop up and you can contact for information.

Good luck.

Gary

Kteabc
02-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Would this be an online only store or would you have an actual location? I would offer more products than just popcorn but keep it related, corn related items, not necessarily food. Where I live we have a hot sauce store, they sell basically nothing but a ton of hot sauces and are located in our outdoor style "mall" close to the larger restaurants that have long wait times at night. Maybe find a store like that to start with some ideas.
Also look for suppliers, maybe they have some advice for you. I would also cater to restaurants too, such as selling counter top popcorn popping machines and offer to service them for a small additional fee. Just some thoughts.

sdsnook
02-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Don't give up there is hope we have an amazing popcorn place here and its called http://www.topsyspopcorn.com/ this place has been here in our area forever! Nobody can resist this and during holidays, I just know the sells must go way up. You can do it!! I can't wait to see your website for it! Good luck.

oregano
02-11-2014, 03:58 AM
I agree that a specialty popcorn store would be a great idea, especially if you sell online too and ship your products far and wide. With many people becoming more health-conscious these days, there is a growing market for snacks that are tasty but not too high in fat or sugar. There is really no end to the different flavorings and other permutations of popcorn you can offer, with special seasonal flavors and all kinds of gift packages you can sell too. With the right branding and marketing you can become known around the country for delicious, healthy popcorn that everyone wants to receive as a gift, or just buy for themselves.

Check out what other companies in this niche business are doing, including the franchises, to get some ideas for how you can create your popcorn company. Put your own twist on it, though, as you want to be unique yet appealing to a lot of people. I don't think you will find any books specifically about how to start a popcorn business, but perhaps there is one about snack foods, holiday snacks or gift baskets that might help you (think of the companies that sell almonds, fruit, Christmas cakes, candies etc. via catalogs and online, for instance).

Spiff
02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
The only place that I can think of where this would be appropriate is at a mall! Whenever I go to the mall, I am walking around, hungry, and I usually always go for the popcorn. It is one of my weaknesses, I guess. There are always tons of people at our local mall and they are hungry from walking around. Maybe you could try something in that direction? I can't really imagine someone driving to the store specifically for popcorn, so I think that's sort of out of the question unless you plan to sell something more than popcorn, like some other people already mentioned above. An online business might work too, but you would think that people would want warm, fresh buttery popcorn that was recently made. Do some more research and I hope you the best of luck.

owesem75
02-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Sometimes, when you have exhausted a lot of effort researching for something that you are interested the most and cannot find anything (as you said), it should give you the courage to rely on your own ability to do it based on how you think how it should be (in the case of popcorn). You may have something in mind that does not exist yet so a very good opportunity to introduce a new product.. new blend of popcorn variety that never existed yet so it is really your good chance! who knows, you could be the next big thing in the pop corn industry... good luck to you.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
You might not find any advice on how to actually set up your popcorn business, but try looking up gourmet popcorn competitors.

Check out their websites, visit their stores, and try to sink in what they offer to their customers. I'm not saying your should steal their ideas, I'm saying you should see how they project their business so you could learn how to do better than them once you finally start yours.

I hope my advice helped!

SmartPea85
02-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Honestly, your idea sounds so unique I'm not surprised you can't find much information about it. However, I think that the idea of a popcorn shop is so different and cool, you could get some general business sense and figure the rest out on your own and still be INCREDIBLY successful. People would flock to a gourmet popcorn shop just for the novelty, and because it would be like nothing else in the area! Around where I live there was a place that sold nothing but variations on mac and cheese, and it was hit! People love quirky, new places that are something fresh and different from the monotony of sandwich and burger joints. I say go for it! There may not be resources on it yet, but your place could be the next man's reference!