PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to put your home-based business online?

bingaguilar
03-22-2014, 01:59 AM
I have a small, home-based business. I make custom-made jewelry and beaded bags. Although I have posted an online gallery of my products I haven't really started selling them online. I am not sure if it's already time to put the business online since right now, I only sell to friends and family and sometimes to people they refer. Should I maintain an inventory of my products or can I still continue doing them on a per order basis if it's already online? How will I know if I'm ready to start selling online? :confused:

Rainman
03-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Everything involves taking risks. There's no right or wrong time to get online. The difference between having a real store and selling your stuff online is that it takes a little longer to make your presence felt on the net. That's why it's advisable to dive in at the earliest time possible and get busy marketing your products because the sooner you start, the faster you'll get the basics of promoting your site behind you.

As for your question regarding making more stuff to sale, I think it would be better to play it safe. Get to work only after you get orders.

All the best!

gadgetised
03-26-2014, 05:44 AM
As soon as you can in my opinion. Even if you just have a coming soon page, creating an online presence is a great way to create hype around your business.

lizzief79
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
I had a similar business a couple of years back. I would say go for it. Word of advice though- make sure you have enough stock/ materials to be able to supply customers with the things that you have listed on your website. I know you say your items are custom made, but you still need to be prepared as customers will not want to wait long. Also, make sure you have thorough and well thought through information about returns and refunds on your website. This will reduce the problems that you experience selling online.

SteakTartare
03-26-2014, 09:01 AM
As soon as you can in my opinion.

^ This. The goal is to move product and move it fast. Tapping in to multiple markets on the web can help accomplish that like no other mediums. How you want to tap said is another topic unto itself, but get online sooner rather than later.

owesem75
03-26-2014, 10:43 AM
As soon as you can in my opinion. Even if you just have a coming soon page, creating an online presence is a great way to create hype around your business.

I very much agree with this suggestion. Creating a buzz is an advertising itself. I look forward to see your business going online. I have a sister who died of diabetes 3 years back and she was fond of creating bracelets (and other designs) made of beads. Earlier, I thought of creating a business (in her memory) out of it, but I just really don't know where to start.

loanfunding
03-28-2014, 10:18 AM
The sooner you get your website online the better, if you really want to be successful you must have an online presence.

ElvisPresley
03-28-2014, 10:59 AM
A lot of people think that once they put a business online it will get flooded with traffic. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It can take months for your blog to get visitors, unless you are using paid advertising.

eagle22
03-28-2014, 01:15 PM
I say the best time to put your business online is right away! You want to get as much attention to your business as early as possible, and even if you aren't ready to handle the sales yet you can tell them you aren't ready yet but will be soon. You can also collect their email addresses and notify them when you are ready.

TomRalphio
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
If you find the idea of setting up your own website daunting try out one of the marketplace websites. Etsy has quite an extensive range and a product like yours would be very suitable on it. Also you can try working on a business plan and try for crowd funding