PDA

View Full Version : Do you have regular 'office hours'

kcareconnections
03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I know some of the reason to work from home can be flexibility. But I am wondering how you all look at your overall work time. Do you have pretty set hours that you try to work? If so, is your family supportive and helpful of this?

jswindell
03-25-2014, 11:55 PM
While there is flexibility, one thing that the business owner has to consider is what works for the client. For instance, if a proprietor finds that most of their clients are on the East and they are on Pacific Standard Time (PST), it may be advantageous for them to start their day a few hours earlier than if they were going to a brick and mortar building.

Since the Internet allows commerce from all around the globe, time differences should factor into all aspects of business. Communication should be made early on as to what is expected from customer and seller.

So to answer your question directly, I have hours set somewhat. This includes time that clients or prospects can reach me by email or Skype. If there is a family obligation, I try to plan for the long run. For instance, I may do what I can for a client that is easy to get along with such as work longer hours to make a faster submission.:)

Taru
03-26-2014, 03:45 AM
I do have a set time frame that I work in because I have to work within the schedule of other businesses that I utilize for payments and shipments, and my family is fairly supportive of this as they do not bother me too much during my working hours. It just gets difficult making them understand that I have work sometimes when they ask me to come with them to family outings because they kind of just assume that I can leave or take a break whenever I want, which is technically true, I have to admit, but I don't like doing it because the work tends to pile up when I mess with the set schedule.

Rainman
03-26-2014, 05:05 AM
I don't have a schedule or rather, don't need one. Currently I'm simply promoting my website and my goal is to post one article a day then post a few comments on other blogs to get some backlinks. Later, once I start getting decent traffic I can concentrate on working on my business eight hours a day like everyone else who has an office job.

gadgetised
03-26-2014, 05:45 AM
I don't work regular office hours. Just come and go as I please. I find that a better way and less stressful way to get things done. If I feel like working at midnight I will, If I don't want to work one day I won't.

jfab
03-26-2014, 07:03 AM
I have managed my time lately so I now keep my office hours straight in the morning. It makes me more productive that way and I really feel more relaxed in a way and not stressed. I suggest this to anyone working at home.

lizzief79
03-26-2014, 08:11 AM
My hours are flexible around my children and appointments etc. I do not keep regular office hours. However, I do have a pattern of hours I am usually working. A lot of my clients are from America and I am in the UK. If I am working between 9pm and 1am in the UK it is between 2-4pm and 6-8pm in the US. This give me a window of opportunity to communicate with clients via the Internet before I do work for them. I also work early afternoon when my youngest two children are having their nap. It is morning office hours in the US at the that time.

SteakTartare
03-26-2014, 08:55 AM
LOL! No, I don't have any real set hours. Yes, I'm guaranteed to be there from 8-5, but I pretty much work from sun up to sun down. There's just too much to do.

Lithium
03-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Lately, I've been trying to get a schedule and I have become more productive.

owesem75
03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
We have a set of schedule to follow, but our boss is so generous to allow us to be productive rather than watch the clock. We can come late or leave early provided we have completed our tasks for the day. And, I took the many break time to think about topics for my blogs and visit forums from time to time.
At night, before bed time, I see to it that I stay online for another 2-3 hours. It is just good to be single and you can do these things.

firelily99
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Its been a struggle but I am getting a sense of regularity with my schedule and in turn, gain in productivity. My work is fairly diverse so there are times when I really am unable to keep a nine to five schedule. The main thing is to keep my work stuff out of the house and off the bed and leave it in my home office.

sgreenwood
03-26-2014, 05:13 PM
I think that is the biggest challenge with a home business. You tend to let your home life and business blend together. You need to find a good balance between the two to avoid burnout.

fredkawig
03-27-2014, 12:42 AM
For business owners like us, we don' actually have a regular business hour, it really depends upon the customers who are coming in and the ability to endure waiting and tiring out oneself.

Lithium
03-27-2014, 12:10 PM
I do have a certain schedule because it makes me feel more productive.

TomRalphio
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a regular job, but at the same time I'm running a few side projects. It can be daunting at times, but if you work on optimising time, it's easy to schedule things to make everything work.

nevermore777
03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
I have a pretty solid schedule set up. After months of procrastinating and generally not getting anything done, I decided to handle my home business like I was in an actual office. I wake up at the same time everyday and actually get dressed properly. My productivity hasn't suffered since then.

Athenagdlyt
04-02-2014, 02:51 AM
I don't have a strict set of working hours when I'm working on my blogs. The schedule becomes more regular only when a client specifies it, like when I have to adjust to a certain time zone. On all other cases, I often work a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon as needed. I leave when I want to and I face the desk when work calls. Of course, when more results are needed, I'd have to double my working hours.

crimsonghost747
04-02-2014, 03:57 AM
If you have a home based business, then isn't half of the idea to NOT have regular hours? Mainly because some days there is a lot to do, while on other days it might be really quiet. Also depending on what type of business it is, sometimes you might need to work early in the morning or late at night to make it easier for customers.

It's also an advantage for you if you can plan to do things throughout the day. Especially if you have a family.

ElvisPresley
04-02-2014, 09:27 AM
My hours are all over the place, and I get distracted easily from hobbies and from people who always think I'm free to do something. The best scenario is to rent out an office and go there as if you would for a regular job. Sure it would cost extra, but likely the productivity that you would have would earn you much more anyways.

harpy
04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I used to live by the ticking of the bundy clock but now that I am running an offline business with a friend and an online shop, I no longer have a specific set of hours for my office duties but I've also noticed that I am spending more than 8 hours at work everyday. Where to start... in the morning, I am entertaining calls for landscaping services. By mid-day, I am off to various work sites to check on my landscapers' output, and in the afternoon, I am back in the office sorting out orders for pastry molds. Since my online clientele come from all over the world, sometimes, I have to follow their timezone. Doing so means I have to stay in front of the computer until my clients are awake. It's crazy, but it's fun and I get to dictate my own earnings.

I've had friends tell me that staying awake till the wee hours of the morning is unhealthy though, so I am trying to set a fixed work schedule for myself. I might set 7 AM to 7 PM as my new work schedule. Or not, haha!

imteabwoi
04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
At first when I started out I thought that I could just work on whatever I wanted to work on whenever I felt like it. That worked for a little while until I began to not work on anything at all. It was only then that I realized that although I may be running my own business I still need the discipline to work everyday. The easiest habit to slip into when working for yourself is that you have time. The greatest trick that I have used to run my business effectively is having set hours that I work for each day. Not only do I have set hours but I have downloaded cool timer on my computer and use a list of small task to accomplish for the day. With cool timer I set the timer for the amount of time that I want to spend on a certain part of my business and when that timer reaches zero I have to stop and move on to the next task. This forces me to work more and think less about goofing off because I have to get the task done before the timer hits zero.

mikelouis
04-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Of course you have to set the hours that you are supposed to work. It is all about getting the perfect time to work. You can decide to hire a room to act as your office that will be free from the distractions at home. That way no one will be disturbing you.

dezibooluvsyou
04-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't have set hours. I am just focused on putting blog out there so i can get some traffic, i only like post couple times a month. sometimes I work all night doing little things online for me earn money, but hopefully soon i will set my own office hours.

strokeontent
04-04-2014, 01:44 AM
I set my own schedule, some days I don't need to go out to drop orders in the post, and other times I need to go out several times a day to send orders or purchase stock, so I always try to plan for the day ahead in order to try and maximize my time.

My wife helps me manage the business, so yeah, she is fully supportive of it. Sometimes I spend long nights taking care of bureaucratic work when I know I won't need to go out of the house the following day and other times I go to bed early so I can go out in the morning to sort out as much as possible and come back before lunch.

johndill419
12-08-2019, 12:16 PM
I work in an office and think this is better than work at home

kirill.forbs
12-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Hi! I have been working at home for a year now. And to control my working time I use the online stopwatch (https://123stopwatch.com), it is very simple and convenient to use. When I start working, I turn it on when the bell rings, the working time is over.

Bigplans101
01-31-2020, 05:32 AM
Yes I do. 9am to 6opm

sheebakaran
02-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Chennai Architects | Best Architects in Chennai

Studio7india is revolving as a trustworthy chennai architects firm construct the newest model of buildings using well-known experienced group.

CONTACT INFO
STUDIO7 India 334, Futura Tech Park, Behind Paypal Building, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Shollinganallur,

044-65151580

prasana.studio7@gmail.com