PDA

View Full Version : Hiring the man or the lady?

owesem75
03-28-2014, 05:08 PM
After a long recruitment campaign and a series of evaluations that filter the best of the best, you ended up with only 2 remaining candidates - a Man and a Lady. Both are almost equal in all the aspects and criteria.. except that one is a Man and the other is a Lady - It is now time to award the position (Operations Manager)... who would you choose and why?

Rainman
04-01-2014, 06:43 AM
It would depend on the nature of the job.

We can deceive each other that equality does exist but to be honest, it doesn't. There are some jobs that are best suited for men, and others which are best suited for women. If it came down to choosing between a man and a woman then I'd choose the woman because women are better at communication since business success hinges entirely on how well employees communicate with clients, with others employees and the boss.

ElvisPresley
04-01-2014, 09:13 AM
I agree with Rainman, it would depend on the job. If it was a job that dealt with the public I may be more inclined to hire the lady, but I'd need to know what they'd be doing day in and day out.

Lostvalleyguy
04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
If you are at the position you are at and asking this question, gender equity is already biasing your decision making.

Hire the woman and look good for promoting a female and create resentment from the man because it looks like she was hired for being female.

Hire the man and run the risk that you will look like it is an all boys club at the top of your business.

Who would those under them respond to better? Are you really down to a coin flip? Are you certain you are unbiased? Is there someone who can look over their qualifications without knowing their gender to give you an extra opinion?

sweetkymom
04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I agree with Rainman and Lostvalleyguy. It's a hard decision either way. I guess I would go by who has more experience in that field of work before deciding.

Ridge Hatrick
04-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I would have to agree that there are differences between men and women, and as stated previously, it'd depend on what the job is exactly.

It's been mentioned that the woman should be chosen, assuming they are equal in every way, because they're better with communication, but that's not entirely true.

Communication ability is measured generally through intelligence. Given that we're assuming they're equal, then they'd have the same ability to communicate.

The real difference between communication and gender comes down to the human interaction. Would your Operations Manager be dealing primarily with co-workers or customers? If it's co-workers, then a male would be better suited, as they're taken more seriously in power positions, so to speak. If it's customers, then you'd want to go by the majority of your clientele. While a man would love to flirt with a woman while checking out a new chainsaw, he'd far prefer to talk to the lumberjack-looking male behind the counter, the guy he believes knows his business.

The same rule applies for a position dealing in female-preferred products. A woman might enjoy flirting with a good looking guy for a while, but what she really wants, when it comes down to it, is to talk to the female behind the counter who has experience with the products and knows what she's talking about.

If, at the end of the day, you're entirely too torn and find yourself with a little extra funding, you're always able to hire them both for the same position and divide the team into two smaller teams. It increases your overhead, but it'd likely also increase your efficiency and quality control.

mikelouis
04-02-2014, 01:12 AM
It all depends on what they will be doing on a daily basis. If the job needs a lot of manpower than the man will be suitable but if it is just a metal job, then it will really hard to choose.

crimsonghost747
04-02-2014, 03:50 AM
This is a very good question. And honestly, I think there would be something else (either in their qualifications or more likely, something that popped up during the interview process) which would help me make my decision. In an Operations Managers job, I really don't see how the gender makes a difference.

canoe
04-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Well if they're the same in EVERY SINGLE aspect including skills, physical features, experience, and the like, I'd just go with picking the female since I'm a guy. The thing is, these types of questions aren't very insightful nor relevant to reality since this never happens. No two people are ever the same: not even identical twins.

crimsonghost747
04-03-2014, 04:26 AM
Well if they're the same in EVERY SINGLE aspect including skills, physical features, experience, and the like, I'd just go with picking the female since I'm a guy. The thing is, these types of questions aren't very insightful nor relevant to reality since this never happens. No two people are ever the same: not even identical twins.

Exactly. While the CV and their qualifications might be the same, as I said in my previous post there are always things that come up in interviews. Whether it be something they say or just the way they behave and present themselves. There are always differences.

fredkawig
04-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Those instances are not likely to happen, there are no 2 persons to equal or even almost equal in the same aspects as each, we're created uniquely so I don't think that will happen.

Bryan Cassidy
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
While of course it depends on the nature of the job, it also depends on the make-up of the company. If you have predominantly men (likely the case) then a female perspective would be a great balance. I just quit my job at an investment bank where it was all guys and we definitely could have used the feminine touch every once in a while. It's amazing how men and women have different perspectives.

AB9100
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I do not know. The question is too vague.

You would have to give us the job description. If the job requires heavy lifting, or extreme physical strength. It would be obvious that you should hire the Man.

If not. I say flip a coin. You said that they are equal in all areas except their gender. So, it would not matter who you hire. Just pick one.

Athenagdlyt
04-04-2014, 10:09 PM
I'd say go investigate deeper and look at the family background of each candidate you're eyeing. Usually, a person who knows how to manage a family can also be a good manager in the office. He or she knows how to use both empathy and discipline in an effective way. Though this is not 100% assurance, doing so may help you with your decision.

wandering wildman
04-04-2014, 11:16 PM
If I honestly thought, it was split 50/50 between a man and a lady, I would not use gender to make my final decision. Have you considered asking them to come in for one more interview? Maybe, you could do this one less formal. This way you can see what they are like on a more personal note.

someshets
07-09-2014, 07:04 AM
lady is the first preference. and also depends on the job

Westsmb
07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
If they are truly "equal" in qualification, then flip a coin. But I think in every position of responsibility, there is a social element that can't be equal simply because people are people.

jesslee
07-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Firstly the two people can not be same and if they are so gender does not matter. Only matters is the position where we are going to place them.

MahaKarthi
09-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Don’t bias your decision on the basis of gender. Check the suitable candidate who can fulfill all the requirements of the position you are offering in the company.
Just for info - But study reveals that Women's interest in being leaders increases as they progress from entry level to middle management

MahaKarthi
02-09-2015, 05:10 AM
I think choosing the right candidate for a job does not depends on the gender of the candidate rather it depends on the qualifications or the skills. Two candidates might be similar in their education qualification or in other technical skills but they may surely differ in their communication or any other aspect. So, it is responsible of the interviewer to choose the right candidate for the position.

Robert01
06-10-2015, 03:11 AM
If I'm the owner and both of them are equal in all aspects and if the job is symmetric for male or female then I will take the man. Because, maybe are will be a time when I have to give her a maternity leave. It will be a long time for me to face an absence of one of my employee. Many people may not like my opinion but I'm just saying the truth.

Gaurav Halade
11-13-2015, 12:58 PM
I would have to agree that there are differences between men and women, and as stated previously, it'd depend on what the job is exactly.

It's been mentioned that the woman should be chosen, assuming they are equal in every way, because they're better with communication, but that's not entirely true.

Communication ability is measured generally through intelligence. Given that we're assuming they're equal, then they'd have the same ability to communicate.

The real difference between communication and gender comes down to the human interaction. Would your Operations Manager be dealing primarily with co-workers or customers? If it's co-workers, then a male would be better suited, as they're taken more seriously in power positions, so to speak. If it's customers, then you'd want to go by the majority of your clientele. While a man would love to flirt with a woman while checking out a new chainsaw, he'd far prefer to talk to the lumberjack-looking male behind the counter, the guy he believes knows his business.

The same rule applies for a position dealing in female-preferred products. A woman might enjoy flirting with a good looking guy for a while, but what she really wants, when it comes down to it, is to talk to the female behind the counter who has experience with the products and knows what she's talking about.

If, at the end of the day, you're entirely too torn and find yourself with a little extra funding, you're always able to hire them both for the same position and divide the team into two smaller teams. It increases your overhead, but it'd likely also increase your efficiency and quality control.

Very True. I would suggest to take decision based on the profile best-suited for the work.

Vanathi
11-23-2015, 07:35 AM
I go with sweetkymom... depends on the amount of experience... what if both are of same gender and both are equally qualified?

Yield
11-24-2015, 01:50 PM
In this condition I prefer to choose both of them for part time instead of full time job. Because, if their skills are same they both can deliver good work.