PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still buying and selling from home using Ebay and Amazon?

penann
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
At one point everyone was buying and selling from home using either Ebay or Amazon but l think things have calmed down now and it's only the big guns that are still making money on these two websites so l was wondering if there still is any little guys left that's making money and would it be worth a go?

Craigslist Goldmine
04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Yes, very profitable if done right and combined with Craigslist.

strokeontent
04-04-2014, 02:03 AM
I still sell on Ebay, but never sold on Amazon. I have to admit it really annoys me to see a 13.5% share of my profits going to Ebay and Paypal every month.

Some months ebay profits more from my business than I do myself, but unfortunately that's the only way I can reach my target audience.

I have to say I buy most of my products online, either from ebay and amazon, and also use international suppliers which I contact with online only to buy stock for my business.

nwitt
04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
I do see quite a bit of people of Facebook doing the DS domination stuff and they are getting things and re-selling them on both eBay and Amazon.

I will sometimes sell a couple of things on either platform, but it's stuff that I no longer need or that was given to me that I will never use. I would be lucky if I said I made $250 a year on this type of venture.

At this point in time, I really haven't researched doing it as a full-time venture.

SteakTartare
04-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I do sell on both sites, but neither are big movers of product. Basically we dump surplus equipment there so that it brings a little cash rather sitting in a storage room. That and sometimes I'll sell books on Amazon.

Strykstar
04-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I spend the weekend running through garage sales buying anything that looks very under-priced, just so I can flip them on eBay, I've yet to miss turning a profit doing this.
I don't do it every week though, as it takes up a fair amount of time, you lose the weekend and a good amount of time during the week handling the sales.

Limpie
04-04-2014, 11:40 AM
It may have calmed down a little bit but there are some people out there who still depend on ebay just like before. I never used to do it much but my friends go to ebay daily. I think if it's done properly then it can be really beneficial. One has to act wisely, that's it! Keep an eye on what others are doing, where the flow is going...

firelily99
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I haven't the need for it but I am rapidly reaching the point that its something that I have to consider doing. I am looking for as much info as I can get so that I am knowledgeable when it comes time for me to make the move.

Craigslist Goldmine
04-04-2014, 02:25 PM
EBay can be a great place to sell something as long as the 10% fee doesn't wipe out your profit margin. I tend to sell there if what I'm selling is rare enough that I can't find a large enough audience for it on Craigslist, where there is no fee. Amazon is okay for selling onesies of newer books, movies, and CDs. That's the only time I sell there.

dougblack
04-04-2014, 05:00 PM
I used to make a bit from Ebay, using the advanced search feature to target goods that had been under priced, and then using it again to check the average selling price over the last week or so. Looked for a minimum of 25% profit after fees. Worked best on console games and bundles of blu ray movies - bundles especially. People usually just wanted them out the house and didn't take the trouble to price them properly. I bought and then sold individually, and sometimes made the money back on 2 items when I'd bought a bundle of 5 - the rest were profit. Trouble is now some real tech savvy guys and girls have scripts to hunt out the bargains and it is slim pickings for the rest of us.

AB9100
04-04-2014, 06:30 PM
I do. Every once in a while.

I use to do it a lot, but i quickly discovered that it wasn't worth it. The seller fee's make it almost impossible to turn a profit.

Not to mention all of the scam artist out there. eBay does not care about it's sellers. I have heard so many horror stories about chargebacks, and disputes with eBay, and Paypal. That i had to quit. People buy things then file a chargeback with their credit card company. Then they file a complaint with Paypal. Saying that they never received the item.

That way they get their money back, and they keep the product. eBay is not for me.

coffee
04-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I buy on both of them. I haven't sold on Amazon ever, but I have sold on Ebay. You can do well on Ebay if you have the right product. Amazon has ridiculous fees, and it is hard to compete with the massive inventory sellers that get special discounts.

vendoya
10-14-2016, 07:05 PM
After years of working with ebay/amazon/etsy/etc/etc I hate them all. Last years following the way of amazon, they treat sellers like a garbage, like an empty space despite they benefits from sellers. There are many buyers who benefits from the helpless sellers. When there is international shipping involved, the selling there converting in absolute nighmare. Sometimes you think you might be spending more on doctors than you get with profit selling there.
Despite on all above there is money on all those platforms. Big money. And its understandable why people go and go there to sell. They like to benefit with the traffic those platforms are sending to products. For some people it may work well. I know the guy who sells handmade products and he stable earns at least 30-50k monthly, most of money he receives from sales on Amazon. I got these handmade no trademark issue involved products for the ~30% of the price that appears on Amazon. But no way to benefit with this unless you do it from USA and I dont like in USA. Comparing to ebay or etsy, its hard to pick up new product on amazon unless you sell a very special product, but only with amazon its easy to earn good money very fast if you list your version for the product under the existing products which are already well promoted there. Of course, for this you must have a source to be able to sell them cheaper than competitors. Handmade haitian metal art cost ~22 usd for 24" pieces with small wholesale and check how they sold everywhere especially at amazon at 70-80 usd per piece. Contact me if you need an information on good supply source.

certax
12-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Yes i am doing, i am selling my digital services on ebay and its got me alot of new buyers and relations with new clients.!!

Locke
12-14-2016, 06:13 AM
I was thinking about doing this myself just in my spare time. I see a lot of people making good from it, and whilst I don't trust everything I see or hear online, there still seems to be a huge amount of profit in it. It's just buying the right things to sell. If you get the right items there is definitely profit in it, but it seems like so many people these are going to car boot sales and garage sales to try and turn a profit. Still be interesting to try though.

As it's been said previously, the fees these days that eBay and Amazon are taking is quite ridiculous. It's not worth buying half the stuff you find just because the fees stop you from turning a decent profit.

luffy268
12-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Can be, but I think to make any real money from it, you need to brand your products and build the brand. Bear in mind, the brand doesn't have to be the products; the brand could be yourself, as a trusted importer of quality goods at good value.

ShawZim
09-12-2017, 02:58 AM
I still market on E Bay, however not marketed in Amazon. I must acknowledge it actually amazes me to observe that a 13.5 percent discuss of my gains visiting e bay and Paypal monthly.

manysolutions21
11-13-2017, 12:39 AM
I think people still love ebay and amazon though there are some commission differences and many more things to consider.But now with alibaba and esty in market markets have become very competitive.

Bintury
04-27-2018, 03:29 AM
Selling phone cases for one of my clients. Not big compay, but still not bad sales.

Harishb
10-09-2019, 05:20 AM
They do sell but it costs you a lot of regulations

Bika
11-28-2019, 09:58 AM
I think many people buy and sell