PDA

View Full Version : A Home Business Or A Hobby?

Cliff
03-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Hello,

My name is Cliff and I have read several previous posts to mine relative to designing web sites for home businesses.

Forgive me if I seem naive here, but am I to understand this is the priority for the forums goal operating a small home based business?

Since I operate two home based businesses now, I can assure you the last thing I concern myself with is web designing. Don't misunderstand me, to be successful with your business, your site must meet certain professional criteria. But in my opinion, your time is better spent on fine tuning your marketing strategies and let the pros handle the web site for you! (Again, this may have already have been discussed in prior posts that I have not seen yet!)

If not, then the caption above comes into play here asking if you are serious to making a profit with your home based business, or is it rather a hobby and thus the write offs you are submitting to uncle sam are not genuine!

I'm sure that no one on this forum will argue the fact that over 95% of home businesses or internet marketing FAIL! It is because they tend to put the cart before the horse with obvious consequences.

To be int the 5% that are making the big bucks, learn what they are doing in marketing strategy, their time, and duplicate their system which I outline in my book!

My two cents worth here!

Happy Easter to all

highcontrol
04-28-2005, 04:39 AM
As with most SEO stuff now, the usual advice for business owners wanting to use the internet to market and sell is not shell out money to pay for a professional site, and certainly not to attempt to create your own if you have a total lack of design skills.

SEO engineers all suggest creating a blog site or a forum site, both of which need mostly work with the content, so you dont need any skills in website creation.

Try Google's:
blogger.com

Just use each blog page to highlight a product and write a decent descriptive paragraph, with your pros (and cons if you wish) and bang it up.

It's the easiest and quickest avenue to Internet presence.
Beware, though, blog sites arent always accepted in web directories other than for blogs, but if you search for directories and engines which are of a relevant topic, and submit your site to them, more than likely, you'll improve your spread.

Try:
searchengineguide.com/searchengines.html
searchenginewatch.com/links/article.php/2156351

Lastly, if you have the capital, say about £2000 GBP, then you can afford a professional website and some decent SEO and marketing to start you off.

Check my signature to view the website we had made for us, it cost over £2000, and the marketing is still costing us money, but you cant argue with results!

Good luck!

NS-Icon
09-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I personally feel if you want your business to succeed then a professional internet presence is a requirement these days. If you display a website lacking in design and failing to meet certain W3C web standards criteria then it can look poorly on your company.

Besides W3C standards also helps a great deal on site load time and compatibility. Apparently, if you website does not load up in 12 seconds, you could have potentially lost a client.

You donít have to look far for professional site development at a low cost, we develop websites for companies on a day to day basis at a low cost, and you can view our portfolio. Get in touch if you are looking for website development for your business.

With regards to marketing, there are a number of factors as to why a considerable number of online business fail, there is a lot to learn and you do need plenty of time, patience and commitment to make a go of it. Also, I must stress on the level of research which is required on your target market.

Oneminutecards
09-20-2005, 01:58 PM
you want to market according to your business, i once was in the coffee industry and the best and most affective way to gain customers is by LETTING THEM TASTE IT
if you can offer a sample go for it

in a nutshell " every war is fought differently"

jfab
01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I think that it's good to have a business done from home. But, if you are just starting, it's not really a good idea to be 100 % on it alone. You must take side jobs online as well. It takes a while for a website to make money. What I do is I get some article writings on the side and some web designing and web dev going on to make quick money.

mmudd
01-16-2014, 11:54 AM
What we're doing is trying to turn our hobby into a home business! We both quit our jobs and went into it full steam, and so far it's paying the bills, but just barely. I'm still taking jobs on the side, trying to get to that tipping point where my time will be more valuable 100% dedicated to our projects than my side projects.

Since things have changed quite a bit since this thread was started, how would you change your approach to websites and internet presence in general? I am starting to believe that social media presence is as important, if not more important for small businesses than a professional website.

jjthemanjunaid
01-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I think that it's good to have a business done from home. But, if you are just starting, it's not really a good idea to be 100 % on it alone. You must take side jobs online as well. It takes a while for a website to make money. What I do is I get some article writings on the side and some web designing and web dev going on to make quick money.

oxpaulo
01-18-2014, 06:34 PM
If you write well and you are very passionate about the subject you're writing then having a pretty website isn't all that important, but if you become successful enough why not pay a little to spruce it up and make it more user friendly? Once you have a following it doesn't make a huge difference, but for new users of your site it could make the difference in them coming back or not.

oregano
01-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Some good points made here already. I agree that, depending on how much money you have put aside to pay your bills while you get your new online business up and running, it can make a lot of sense to take on jobs for other people on a part-time basis, for a while. And it can be very lonely running your own show, so partnering up with someone else can be a really good way to help ensure your success. Working with a buddy, you have someone to keep your spirits up when the going gets tough, someone who might be able to offer skills and experience that complement yours, and someone to bounce ideas off and formulate strategies and plans with. Two brains are better than one, in other words!

hillaryNC
01-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I think it can be a serious business depending on how bad you want it. Although there are MANY sites out there that are considered home based businesses, many don't make enough to pay to support a family. Many of these businesses are just considered hobbies and many of them receive freebies and such to promote. While there are many blogs and such like this, there are the select few that are serious businesses. Some of these may start on the internet and expand into a store. Sites like etsy.com are businesses. So I guess, you should design your website according to how you want it. If you want to become a serious, big businesses, maybe you should consider hiring a web designer.

firelily99
03-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I don't see it as a hobby at all, I have taken a serious approach to making this work so I doubt it could be classified as a hobby. Many people talk about homebased business but it is a hobby with business card. I spend too much time working on things to ever call what I do a hobby.

ursell
03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
If I wanted to get a website how much could it cost to get a web designer for my site? Do people make money writing blogs?
What are some of the jobs that you can do on the side while you make money from your business?

mikelouis
03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
I think in your case it should be both. If you like something and it is generating a lot money for you, then why don't you do it as a home based business. That way you will be enjoying yourself at the same time earning money.

fredkawig
03-29-2014, 04:40 AM
That's true. So what;s the title of your book?

wandering wildman
03-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I actually just got designing my own web site. There are many easy to follow videos on youtube that can walk you through the entire process. I actually found it quite rewarding to do it on my own. It may have suffered in quality of not having a pro do it. However, I still enjoyed it!

nevermore777
03-31-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a friend that sells replicas of video game and movie weapons which gives him some solid revenue. I asked if he ever considered leaving his current job. All he said was that once he turns his hobby into a full time business, it's going to turn into a job and he might not like it as much.

firelily99
04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
If I had wanted a hobby I would have taken up stamp collecting. This is a business for me and I have invested all of me to try and make it successful.

strokeontent
04-04-2014, 02:42 AM
If you spend time fine tuning marketing strategies you need to keep in mind that owning a website is in itself a marketing strategy.

Websites give your brand credibility, if I am buying a product from a company I haven't seen before the first thing I do is to google that product or the shop that sells it and make up my mind based on the results.

Also, leaving the websites for professionals may work for you, but most home based businesses are small, and many of us actually prefer to roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty by making our own websites. Anyway, making a professional looking website takes no longer than a few hours nowadays with so many templates and solutions available online.

I worked as a manger in 3 different companies who are in the 5% that are making the big bucks, and 80% of their marketing was done through social media and online channels, offering facebook and twitter discounts, holding contests on their websites. Only 20% or less of their marketing was done through postal mail.

So it doesn't seem to me like you are learning what the 5% companies making the big bucks are doing in marketing strategy. Either that, or you underestimate the power of having an online presence even if just to show a phone number and e-mail address that reassures your customers of the seriousness of your business.

nwitt
04-04-2014, 06:45 AM
I do think some people do their home business as mostly hobby - maybe a mom who stayed home to raise the kids and they're off in school now - so she started to do purse or makeup parties to socialize more and do something different...

I think a lot of businesses though, when you're dedicated and making a lot of money, it really is a full time business - not a hobby. I NEED mine to pay my bills, so it's no hobby.

itworksjowenna
07-02-2014, 02:03 AM
Hi,

Let me share a business idea which can be a sideline. This will not take up most of your time. I'm looking to generate customers or wrap reps for my business. Find the details in my website: http://www.itworksjowenna.com/

Looking forward to hearing from you.

JeffreyForeman
07-06-2014, 07:31 AM
I think that if you want to be successful in any way, shape, or form, you are going to have to invest. There are countless .blog sites available Ė why do you stand out? Unless you are able to offer exceptional content from day one, people are going to turn away rather quickly. I think having your own webspace is vital.

adaskotles147
07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm an IT freelancer and it's my home business.

Roger R96
07-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Now a days its not difficult to earn money online. If you re a good writer then the best business for you is to start writing blogs.Now a days more and more bloggers are finding that blogging is a profitable medium. Whether it be to earn a few extra dollars a week to feed their coffee habit, or making enough money to stop them having to get a part time job to get through college, or whether they’ve got it to a point where they are able to make a full time living from their blogging – there are tens of thousands of bloggers who make money through this medium.I am doing this work from the past 4 years and trust me my overhead expenses are fulfilled from this money. Recently I have read a very good content related to web earning on this site http://www.snagthecash.com
For the beginners i will suggest to visit and read content because it will create awareness in you regarding web earning.

taxcpa
09-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Beware schemes or people trying to sell you their method of make quick, easy money. Hard work is required for all businesses.

Domolimo
09-03-2014, 01:17 AM
All home business start as hobby. At least my business started this way. I was employed full time and I wanted more cash and step by step I managed to make them. It was hard first but once I managed to create a decent funnel I even quit the job. It was hard for few months, but at the end I WOULDN'T go back ever!!

ecohomes
09-09-2014, 04:35 AM
90% from online business started as a hobby. The others are real business or test business as I like to name them. No one knows how they will work and if they will be feasible on the long run. My best strategy is to invest time and a lot of devotion otherwise you will never see results. All the business requires patience now days especially when everybody is doing something and competition is so high . My advice for all entrepreneurs is to think twice and cut once. Don't make a business plan and start the business over night. You will end up in failing especially if the competition is big.

taxcpa
09-09-2014, 11:50 AM
There is a big difference between a business and a hobby in the view of the IRS. All businesses are definitely not started as a hobby. Sometimes a hobby can grow into a business, but most businesses are not started as a hobby. Rather they are started as a business. Starting small does not mean you are a hobby, just a small business that may or may not be making money. The business v. hobby question will directly impact your taxes. See this page for a discussion of a business v. a hobby (http://www.newcompanyinfo.com/business-v-hobby).

runbch
09-12-2014, 01:20 PM
It is definitely tough to make the leap from hobby to a home business that can generate solid revenue. Takes a lot of hard work and belief in yourself.

Terry Hopper
09-17-2014, 08:21 AM
I would like to prefer home business, my home based business is online data entry job. I really like this.

Terry Hopper
11-21-2014, 07:59 AM
It depends up on you and your idea that which resources is good for you to start your online business or starting your home based business. The good selection of resources or a brand is the best way for money making.

Yes.... I think it is a great way.

panchal interiors
11-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Panchal Interiors is an interior design firm in bangalore. It was creativity and a passion to make your house with interior design solutions. They are creative interior designers in bangalore.

We create your home a snug palce that enriches your sensibilities, tastes and preferences whereas at a similar time keeping individualism and comfortability. Panchal Interiors is help you to design your home recent style,they are awesome interior decorators in bangalore.

Pancha lnteriors (http://www.panchalinteriors.in/)

redsparktechnologies
11-26-2014, 04:52 AM
In today's world most of businesses are having online presence. It is inevitable to have a website if you are going to run long time business. If you wish to put money in your bank account one must market the business with both conventional as well as digital means. Designing a website for home based business or full fledged business is must. Both the business is carried out with an intention of earning money. It is advisable to have an website for national as well as global presence.

lakshvenetia
11-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Most of the youngsters are interested in ‘work from home opportunity’ because it is profitable and time saving. You will not have to submit any work report to anyone because you are the boss. But most of the people have a slight fear to start a home based business as they worried about the overall costs. But I think in home based business the cost is generally low. Now there are a number of recognized firms like Global Wealth Coach who provides the tools and training to build up a solid income from home. So if you want to start a business from home it is better to consult them first and seek their advice.

DYTW
12-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Most of the youngsters are interested in ‘work from home opportunity’ because it is profitable and time saving. You will not have to submit any work report to anyone because you are the boss. But most of the people have a slight fear to start a home based business as they worried about the overall costs. But I think in home based business the cost is generally low. Now there are a number of recognized firms like Global Wealth Coach who provides the tools and training to build up a solid income from home. So if you want to start a business (http://www.businessguru.sg) from home it is better to consult them first and seek their advice.

I don't quite agree with your view that "most of the youngsters are interested in ‘work from home opportunity’ because it is profitable and time saving. (http://www.businessguru.sg)" It requires a lot of hard work then ever before given the hundreds of millions of websites/blogs out there shouting for attention.

akibsoft
12-28-2014, 10:50 AM
have a good idea.

Scott58
09-15-2015, 06:27 AM
I think that a good idea to have business from home.

jamesbyrns
09-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Good idea to have business from home Keep it up!

abm5272
09-30-2015, 12:11 AM
If you are looking to run your business from home, then running referral program would be the best option. Visit ABM's Referral Program for earning a residual income and found free postcards every six months. :)

Vernnwhite
10-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Good idea!

Tygabilly
10-17-2015, 07:21 AM
I think that it is great to truly have a business performed from your home. But, if you're only beginning, it isn't a really good idea to be totally alone on it.

Its3darchitecturals
10-24-2015, 05:36 AM
I personally feel if you want your business to succeed then a professional internet presence is a requirement these days. If you display a website lacking in design and failing to meet certain W3C web standards criteria then it can look poorly on your company.

earnrupee
10-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Home business is always good but should have knowledge how and where to sell, need lot of organic traffic to your site SEO ON PAGE optimization is important along with that should know how to promote your products on social networking sites. depends on what type of business you doing, suppose your are making home made crafts how to sell online with social networking sites (http://www.earnrupee.in/BLOGGING/HomeMade-Crafts-Selling-Online). read the article hope will helpful

http://www.earnrupee.in/images/Make-Money-Home-Made-Crafts.jpg

joshuakredford
11-05-2015, 12:42 AM
good idea i like that.

Malik Suleman
11-27-2015, 02:30 PM
yeah agree with you for blogger and home based business is good

Sensitive
02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Home business as hobby :)
I'm programmer and freelancer, so I do in my life, what i love and i get money for this :)

Tanya101
02-17-2016, 01:45 PM
What is Earn Honey? Never head before

MikeJ
10-27-2019, 02:06 AM
I used to spend a lot of time playing games on the Internet, but then I realized that it was wrong, because I was not developing in this direction. Now I have turned my hobby into a permanent income. I make good money here https://1xbet.mobi/en/ Now I'm betting on sports. This is my second hobby, which brings a good income.

ruhiangel
11-08-2019, 02:01 AM
Generally speaking, your hobby is a business if: Some or all of your income comes from the hobby. For example, you sell handmade candy on an e-commerce store, and the earnings account for half of your annual income. Your hobby experiences profits and losses.

johndill419
11-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Of course, I would like to create my own business. But now I'm just on my way to this. Iím working at home on predicting football matches https://777score.co.uk/. I do not know whether you can call it a start to your business, but I like it. I like that I do not depend on anyone, I made a forecast and if he took the profit correctly.

Bika
11-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Your business is a good thing

kirill.forbs
01-28-2020, 05:20 PM
Hello! I have an unusual hobby for our time, I like to collect the smells of perfumes, cosmetics, and oils. Oils take an honorable place in my collection as I also use them. I recently ordered myself an oil that verified cbd (https://naturalwellnesscbdoil.com/brand-reviews/verified-cbd/) with a very good smell and texture.

Astellas
02-26-2020, 12:25 PM
It all depends on what brings you pleasure. That's not all. Work should bring both pleasure and money.

Lemans
02-29-2020, 09:51 AM
And me seems that everything is somewhat different. Your hobby is the path to your enjoyment and independence. When it is associated with your work, it is a breakthrough. My Friend works according to his own interests. He's a capper. And his sports betting pays off. If he had done something else, maybe it wouldn't have happened. It works on this site - https://1xbet-messenger-ph.com/ . As an option for you.

garoldn1
03-11-2020, 02:02 AM
I tried the home business on dropshipping and commodity sales. Unfortunately, my experience was not the best, and somehow I just went to zero. Now I'm experimenting on online games in casinos, but I'm not in a hurry, as here there is a bitter experience. I try to follow the https://casinocanada.com/ tips, review and re-read all the reviews and try to choose the casino that really helps me earn. So far, everything is working out for me, I hope it will work out for you too. Good luck!

Brownii
04-22-2020, 09:48 PM
I think this is not a hobby at all. This is a small business But I am sorry that you failed. Everybody goes through ups and downs and you should understand it. However, you can try your luck on casino med snabb utbetalning (https://www.casinorus.se/casino-snabb-utbetalning/). Maybe this time you'll get lucky

imaani
07-06-2020, 08:33 AM
I would like to start collecting coins as I've heard it is not only an interesting hobby but can also make a profit if their price goes up. To get a valuable collection I am looking for collections all over the internet, the most useful for me in this was the site UC coins it provides a wide range of coins of different types and ages https://uc-coins.com/.

amelyjcob
07-15-2020, 02:25 AM
Generally, the IRS classifies your business as a hobby, it won't allow you to deduct any expenses or take any loss for it on your tax return. If you have a hobby loss expense that you could otherwise claim as a personal expense, such as the home mortgage deduction, you can claim those expenses in full.

jacobhill0258
07-16-2020, 11:14 AM
As the entire world is struggling with financial problems during this covid time we have a perfect solution that works for you. Just by working from 30 minutes to 1 hours daily from home you can earn 3 to 5K USD per month.
In order to qualify for the offer, you need to meet with these criteria.
1. Need to be a US/UK/AUSTRALIAN Citizen.
2. Registered Company in US/UK/AUSTRALIAN (Inc or LLC). (if you donít have exiting company can Setup a new one for which you will be paid)
3. Current Account for the company.
4. Address and ID proof (For both company and yourself).

Reply to me... If you are interested.

muneeb
10-01-2020, 06:38 AM
One of the best parts of starting a home business is the ability to turn something you love into your career. Not only will you be able to spend your days immersed in something you enjoy while making a living, but also it's often an ideal business to start because you already know how to do it, thereby shortening the learning curve and ​startup time.

While there are many hobbies that can be turned into home businesses, here are five common hobbies that you can easily start to make money from.

trisy
12-07-2020, 08:34 AM
////////////////

myaccountinglab
12-08-2020, 06:15 AM
I don't think, it is a hobby. I will consider it as business. Because hobby normally we consider the free time we spent or something extra we do. When we are spending days and nights. Other we can say, 24/7 we are working. There is no family time, there is not the time for exercise. This is only business. We can't say it its a hobby.

Brownii
12-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Since you've talked about the pleasures, I think that you need to try scuba diving. In my opinion, it's one of the best things that I've done on the vacation. So next time you go on a trip then I definitely would recommend you to try it. If you don't know anything about it then here is a link for you https://www.startscubadiving.com/scuba-diving-bali/, so you could learn more.

Famil
06-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Today, a huge number of sites, clubs and whole portals with gambling have appeared on the Internet. Each web site offers a certain number of gambling games, slots and other various games. I found the site 1casino-mate (https://1casino-mate.com/) for myself. There is a large selection of casinos where you can play and not worry about not getting paid. As for me, this is the best casino in australia.

lenaleo
06-03-2021, 10:28 AM
The IRS characterizes a diversion as an action that an individual seeks after without purpose to produce a benefit. Nearly everybody participates in a type of leisure activity without stressing over whether it will create pay. Notwithstanding, when you find ways to endeavor to create a benefit you have a business on your hands.

Lans
07-14-2021, 07:45 AM
Hi. Home business and hobbies can always be combined, as for example, it is always very interesting for me to play the most popular classic casino slots free (https://bonuscasinoisland.com/free-slots/free-classic-slots/) after several hours of work at the computer. These games always affect me with an amazing charge. You may find them somewhat old-fashioned, but there are plenty of other slots on this site.

trisy
07-24-2021, 10:21 AM
I believe that the most important thing is faith in yourself and your business. We often doubt ourselves and underestimate our strengths. Although we can do more than we think.
A similar situation was with me 2 years ago. My life was terrible, and I just complained and dreamed that one day I would become an interesting and successful businesswoman. But I had no hope, I lacked money for my business, and my life was like the movie "Groundhog Day".
But one day I got tired of it. I decided that I would try, maybe something will come of it. I started learning how to start my own business, I worked a lot. I managed to raise money for my business, I borrowed part, I managed to get part here online bet (https://mr.bet/at/casino/vendors). I changed my life completely, although 2 years ago it seemed impossible.