PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Stone Age (Finally!)

BusiTab
05-16-2005, 09:51 PM
After owning a small business for 25 years, my mother has finally decided she is ready to automate her office. Until now, she has done all her invoicing/payroll/accounting/bookkeeping etc by hand or with a typewriter. She has asked me to help bring her into the 21st century.

I am spending the next few weeks learning her business. I am looking for advice in regards to system and software selection. I am very competent using computers for personal use and in a "worker bee" capacity, but I've never owned a business and need a little direction to help her.

Any help is appreciated! Here are some specs on her business:

# Employees: 8
Est. Gross Sales: $500k
Type of business: Furniture Repair & Refinishing

If there is other information you need to give advice, please let me know!

Thank you for your time!

owesem75
01-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Your post was dated 2005 and now it is 2014 and I wonder what happened to your business. Did you successfully updated your processes? what software did you finally use? Can you share your experiences with us?

delusional
01-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Your post was dated 2005 and now it is 2014 and I wonder what happened to your business. Did you successfully updated your processes? what software did you finally use? Can you share your experiences with us?

Unless you email him/her or send him/her a PM, I don't think she will ever know you replied to her old topic.

Is Microsoft Books still used? I haven't heard of it before. I should really check this out if it is. Maybe I can automate more things that way.

crimsonghost747
01-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Unless you email him/her or send him/her a PM, I don't think she will ever know you replied to her old topic.

Is Microsoft Books still used? I haven't heard of it before. I should really check this out if it is. Maybe I can automate more things that way.

I'd stay away from anything with Microsoft in it's name! :p
Yes would be interested in knowing what happened to the company, guess we will never know.

owesem75
01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Oh well, at least we tried to check. Also, my replied refreshed this thread and I can see other people are replying and hopefully someone will just throw in some much timely and relevant suggestion based on the question.

GordonTheComputerGuy
01-25-2014, 07:02 AM
I would use a program that doesn't cost if it's just a small business.

Try something like GNUCash: http://www.gnucash.org/features.phtml

It will import from microsoft and quicken/quickbooks so you can set yourself free.

Best of Luck to you

owesem75
01-26-2014, 05:59 AM
Wow! This is what I am talking about! I have seen the website and it is really nice to know that there are FREE ACCOUNTING software that small and starting businesses could use. I wonder what's the catch though...

oregano
01-26-2014, 09:48 AM
These days there is really no need to buy an expensive accounting program for your small business as there are many good programs you can use for no charge.

Some of them are open source, which means they will always be free and get upgraded and enhanced regularly. GnuCash is one of these, and is very highly regarded as it's easy to use yet very flexible. Another open source package is xTuple PostBooks, which comes with additional modules for CRM, Sales, Inventory, Purchasing, Products and more, making it useful for more complex businesses. TurboCASH 5 is another good, open source package that is popular.

If you only need a very simple accounting program, you might prefer VT Cash Book, which takes next to no time to learn, and does all the basics well. Other examples of accounting software you can use for no charge include Adminsoft Accounts, which is rather complex and uses a double entry system. There are also free packages that focus on invoicing, such as Invoice Expert XE and NCH Express Invoice.

novasparker
01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
I know that Quickbooks takes a lot of hits by folks because it's a little unwieldy in some of the functions it performs and takes a little bit to learn, but this is the accounting software my husband and I use to run our home remodeling business. We love the interfaces and the way it imports data into Turbo Tax. It makes our lives so much more simple. I don't know if I would recommend it to someone who is not computer savvy, but overall, this is a solid software application.

alanski2
02-15-2014, 08:06 PM
I've been using Zoho Books, which is pretty cheap (no, not free!) and does accounting and time tracking, which I need since I bill by time. I've been doing my invoicing with FetchFlow, which is free for up to 5 clients and $3 a month for up to 100. That works for me: As a writing and design firm working B2B, my monthly invoices are only a couple dozen at most. Fetchflow has a lot of good features for all kinds of businesses: http://www.fetchflow.com/blog/authorize-net-invoicing.

Good luck!

karmaskeeper
02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
There are literally an unlimited amount of programs to choose from. Do your research test drive free trails and find your best fit.

mikelouis
02-16-2014, 03:21 AM
Of course you cannot even start to compare the two. Quickbooks has won many awards as the best accounting software so you can safely use it without any worries. Though you need to be trained on how to use it or else it can be a bit intimidating.

DomDom
02-16-2014, 02:44 PM
I voted for Quickbooks because from my friends experience its really an awesome program!

alanski2
02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I've been using Zoho Books, which is pretty cheap (no, not free!) and does accounting and time tracking, which I need since I bill by time. I've been doing my invoicing with FetchFlow, which is free for up to 5 clients and $3 a month for up to 100. That works for me: As a writing and design firm working B2B, my monthly invoices are only a couple dozen at most. Fetchflow has a lot of good features for all kinds of businesses: http://www.fetchflow.com/Features.

Good luck!

I've been setting up my FetchFlow today to integrate with my authorize.net account. Very tight, well written! Works like a charm. :D

For the curious and those who need it: http://www.smallbusinessforums.org/showthread.php?342-Out-of-the-Stone-Age-(Finally!)

speeduser
12-23-2020, 07:38 AM
That is certainly possible to get the information. I am sure that it is lying there somewhere waiting to be discovered. - Steven C Wyer (http://stevenwyer.org/)

raviseo121
01-10-2021, 08:52 AM
thanks for sharing with us