PDA

View Full Version : Home Based Business?

Web Design Company
08-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I am currently running a home based business programming web sites and hosting them. Anyone else out there not a huge corporation?

Eagle
08-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi there!

I'm not a "huge corporation". Does it make a difference? :D :wink:

datums
08-18-2004, 09:32 AM
This the small business forums, I would expect small business here, like myself.

BusinessMan
08-18-2004, 05:35 PM
It IS a small business forum... posts from large businesses, or individuals, are deleted unless they are of clear use to small businesses.

Rob
08-29-2004, 01:08 PM
I too have started a web design firm, and am using my apartment as a base of operations while in the process of securing office space. I was wondering how much of my rent I can deduct as a business expense, if any at all. I have heard a few different things: one of which is based on the frequency of usage for business purposes and the other based on the amount of space in the apartment occupied by business oriented furniture and equipment. I have looked at a few other resources for solutions but have not found any If anyone has ever had experience with this problem, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

WBF
08-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I talk to a lot of people who work at home, and using http://www.tollfreelive.com 800 numbers because they hide someone's home phone number and make the home business look big. Just a thought.

Minna
08-31-2004, 09:56 PM
I too have started a web design firm, and am using my apartment as a base of operations while in the process of securing office space. I was wondering how much of my rent I can deduct as a business expense, if any at all. I have heard a few different things: one of which is based on the frequency of usage for business purposes and the other based on the amount of space in the apartment occupied by business oriented furniture and equipment. I have looked at a few other resources for solutions but have not found any If anyone has ever had experience with this problem, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Hi Rob, it does depend on how you use your home office. Here is the site to help you out on figuring out your deduction <http://www.irs.gov/publications/p587/ar02.html#d0e856>

Hope it helps,

Minna

Rob
09-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks very much Minna. The site was a big help.

Jade456
09-13-2004, 03:19 AM
Rob, consult a cpa. You'll be happy you did. You definitely don't want to get into tax trouble. Plus there are things you can deduct that you may not have thought of. If not a cpa, then a tax attorney or professional qualified preparer. That way too you have some legal protection if things go awry.

10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
I also work from home and have written off that expense in my taxes for the last few years using Quicken. They are pretty strict that the room has to be used ONLY for that business....

discountdomains
11-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I started out, in a back bedroom then moved to the front room. Now I have an office in town!

I know what its like and it can be very tough!

Clare

rgs
11-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I too have just started a hosting service and dabbling in website design. Mostly on the simple side using Dreamweaver. Do you design your headers in Illustrator or a similar program or is it possible to purchase templates. ( headers only) I hope I'm using the right term.

Nexus
02-24-2005, 02:13 AM
It's all a one woman show over here. Building my website was entertaining, because I did it myself. I bet professional coders would wince at the sight.

TurnkeyWebsites4Sale
07-20-2005, 04:51 AM
My company started out small but i have since hired 6 employees to keep up with demand for our products

GeorgeE
07-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Has anyone here tried dropshipping, how effective is it, and can you make a decent income doing it all online through ebay etc.

Any info greatly appreciated.

pete
07-30-2005, 05:15 PM
George, I answered this in your other post.

NS-Icon
09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Most people like the sounds of the 0800 number to make the appearance of their own business appear larger, however, the most important factor is to be able to deliver.

I have heard about organisations that used this strategy and faked their appearance to their clients, once the clients realised they where a one man / women show and where unable to deliver, it became seriously bad publicity for the company.

There is no point attempting to appear as a large corporation if you can only deliver at the level of a smaller business, and sometimes it pays off to be honest.

Huge_Mike
09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I Started doing a online retail business selling clothing on a work at home basics. If home business is the main issue here, I suppose most people here own a small corporation like me.

I used dropshipping before and it work great for me. You need to find a good supplier that you trust if not you'll get yourself blacklisted by customer esp in ebay where you need to build reputation there. Prices are competitive there. I suggest you find a good niche or limited edition merchandise

va4life
11-12-2005, 02:29 AM
I too started up a home based business. Now the cost for start up is not as much as I invested but tools you need to market your business do add up. Whether it's paying every month for your website or buying tools such as dvds or cds this can hurt the pocket if you are not bringing in any money. The best thing I like about having my own HBB is that quite a few of the bills I pay every month I can write off in taxes at the end of the year. A big positive for me also is that I can make as little or as much as I want per month and don't have to worry about who's watching over my shoulder!!! lol

mari2246
11-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Im a small......very small but happy business.Does that count? :)

dk
03-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Probably the best way is to start the business is at home. There is little cost involved. Over here in Singapore there is alot of expenses you could incurred easily. For your kind of business , it's excellence doing it this way. I have seen some business which started at home firstly and bacome quite big. Formerly in Singapore we could not do it this way. I know of a swiss company which started at home and now has a factory just opposite his home. How wonderful. Annual Sales of 100 millions.
Hope you can encourage to do better and think of it as a bonus and someday you will be somebody somehow.

many thanks and simplify your life.
Dk

subprimeway
03-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I have been working in the Wholesale Mortgage side for the last 5 years, business has been good, however always looking to increase my income though home based businesses. I am very glad I found this site, thank-you Google!! :) I am actually trying to learn more about Google Adsense and affilite programs to advertise my links.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know you all!

Scott Schuhwerk

jjthemanjunaid
01-18-2014, 12:17 PM
yeah, i think this is a big home based business. any time work and any time leave it. :P and money also in large amount.

Axmen
01-21-2014, 04:47 AM
I have been running a website for a while but I sold everything for a pretty good price.
I'm thinking about to start something up again but it takes time and you have to handle a lot of things and I don't know if I'm able to do that at the moment. I have a lot of other stuff going on now.

But I really recommend it. I mean, if you have the knowledge and the idea to run a website that will bring in a lot of traffic then go for it. You'll earn a lot of money and you can sell like "Gold memberships" that will cost, let's say $2 for a month and just that will make you earn huge amounts if they are biting it.

However, good luck out there!
- Best regards, Axmen.

cpefley
01-28-2014, 03:24 AM
Well, I am definitely not a huge corporation. I don't think many of us are here. If we were, we'd probably be busying ourselves with buying a yacht or taking plane rides to Europe in our personal jet. Oh wait, I think I'm daydreaming here. Nope, definitely not a big corp.

Steven Becker
08-14-2015, 04:47 AM
I'm a small trader. My business is the online physical gold bar trading. It helps me to earn some cash (well, the risk also exists, but every business bears some risk!) For details follow the link! https://globalintergold.com/gold-news/read/official-video-by-global-igold-president-about-the-internet-shop-possibilities&cat=0&page=0

rvitsentzatou
08-14-2015, 10:51 AM
I am currently running a home based business programming web sites and hosting them. Anyone else out there not a huge corporation?

Hey, what are you exactly looking for?