PDA

View Full Version : Advice from freelance writers, please!

XebNotlaw
09-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi there,

Thanks in advance for reading and (hopefully) being able to answer some of my questions.

I've been freelance writing for over 3 years now, having worked in a plethora of industries beforehand (sales, recruitment, then marketing and copywriting). I have used two main freelancing job sites over those 3 years, both of which have now become pretty useless to me. Both have penalised me for taking time off this year, when my father passed away, and now trying to win work is almost impossible.

I'm looking at expanding my reach and not having to rely on freelancing sites anymore, but I'm pretty stumped as to what to do/where to go/how to tackle it. I still want to build business on freelancing sites where possible (if anyone knows of any good ones to focus on, please do let me know), but I also want to work on a more direct basis with clients. Currently, I have 3 key direct clients that I work with on a regular basis. Basically, I want to turn my 'job' into a fully fledged business and I need some direction as to how I go about this. I recently was given a free domain name, which was just my full name .com, but will this be of any use to me? Should I set up a company name, logo, branding and go down that route? Alternatively, should I create a portfolio style website, using my name, and work with that?

I have put this off for some time as the work I was getting from freelancing sites was quite sufficient, however I now know I cannot put all my eggs in one basket and I need to think outside the box.

Any advice you could give would be amazing, thank you.

Rebecca

stockbrokers
09-27-2014, 12:08 AM
also have these question ..........any one have answer

INSTANTPROXIES
01-20-2015, 03:09 AM
I am also interested on this type of business. Anyone got an answer yet?

Philips
01-27-2015, 09:31 AM
it seems you want to open a start-up. However, it goes far beyond my knowledge in this field.
I just was once a copywriter and did for a company, I worked with projects the boss gave me, not much interesting

DavidLewis
01-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Hi there,

Thanks in advance for reading and (hopefully) being able to answer some of my questions.

I've been freelance writing for over 3 years now, having worked in a plethora of industries beforehand (sales, recruitment, then marketing and copywriting). I have used two main freelancing job sites over those 3 years, both of which have now become pretty useless to me. Both have penalised me for taking time off this year, when my father passed away, and now trying to win work is almost impossible.

I'm looking at expanding my reach and not having to rely on freelancing sites anymore, but I'm pretty stumped as to what to do/where to go/how to tackle it. I still want to build business on freelancing sites where possible (if anyone knows of any good ones to focus on, please do let me know), but I also want to work on a more direct basis with clients. Currently, I have 3 key direct clients that I work with on a regular basis. Basically, I want to turn my 'job' into a fully fledged business and I need some direction as to how I go about this. I recently was given a free domain name, which was just my full name .com, but will this be of any use to me? Should I set up a company name, logo, branding and go down that route? Alternatively, should I create a portfolio style website, using my name, and work with that?

I have put this off for some time as the work I was getting from freelancing sites was quite sufficient, however I now know I cannot put all my eggs in one basket and I need to think outside the box.

Any advice you could give would be amazing, thank you.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Hopefully this finds you in good spirits. If there are any typos, please bear with me. It's getting late and it's been a long day.

Years ago, I wanted to become better at my craft so, in addition to normal client work (I'm a financial consultant), I also took up writing. They say that if you write about your subject expertise, you become better at it. It's true.

Initially, I was getting pretty terrible leads for that sort of stuff so started writing for a few "major" sites - one in particular that went public and subsequently flopped.

But, before it did, I learned some very valuable lessons.

I think you're on the right track with the website idea. Basically, if you want to do this full time, you need either a very reliable client that can give you a nice volume of work (so you don't need to actively market yourself) or you need several clients that you can invoice on a regular (i.e. monthly) basis.

Smaller clients are usually unreliable and thus give you unreliable/unsteady work volume (which I'm sure you've experienced).

But, first, you need to think about the areas in which you're very confient. As in, what subjects do you think you know really well? Those are gong to be your "core" subjects on which you're going to want to write. If you're stuck for ideas, hit up the Google Adwords keywoord tool. It will give you at least *some* idea about which keywords advertisers are paying good money for.

That's your "in."

For example, finance and law are very expensive for advertisers to compete in. And, they tend to pay a lot of money for content creation in their niche because they need it to convert those leads they're paying for. Higher paying niches usually mean higher paying writing gigs. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Once you've chosen a few topics you're comfortable with, you might want to start poking around in writer forums. Celeste Stewart is a good source (I know her from Constant Content (http://www.celestestewart.com/). You may also want to join forums in niches where you plan to write and start helping those people out - get "known."

Join Facebook groups dedicated to those clients
Join LinkedIn groups dedicated to those clients
etc.

As for website design, that's a whole 'nuther post. But, hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any questions on getting started.

Best,
David

healthcareinfo
01-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Hello Everyone

Build up your art and have a tough skin. It takes diligent work and constancy to be successful.If you generally spend your days in your home, set aside a few minutes to go outside or discover some kind of collaborating space where you can interface with other people.Learn to compose recommendations and hope to think of them all the time.

sofiaalissa4
01-27-2016, 09:00 AM
www.fiverr.com is also a good site for freelancers.