PDA

View Full Version : A Computer Help Business?

brettK
09-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey guys im new to this forum. First post.

Im just out of high school and in college at ITT Tech. Ive been thinking of starting my own LITTLE business. Ive done some reading on starting your own business but i definately need more. I'm just starting so bear with me.

I was simply thinking of a computer help business. I AM SEEING FROM HOW MY PARENTS ARE that there are many people around these days that have no idea how to fix, install, unistall, replace a part in a computer.

So I was thinking of starting out advertising by good old door to door fliers saying something about "NEED HELP WITH YOUR COMPUTER??" and leave my number, then people can call me and tell me what they think is wrong or watever, then i can look up the solution on the internet if i dont already know( i know alot about computers so ill probably know). Then i can head to their house or they can bring it to my house(kind of lame) and fix there problem.

I was thinking of charging either hourly or the difficulty of the problem. but to start out i will charge a very small price to maybe get the word out.

Thanks. ALL CRITICISM IS WELCOMED, i will not take it offensively, if any of you have tried this please tell me how it went, and and ideas for me are welcomed and if theres any good reading that you know of on this sort of business i would appreciate.

Thank you and i look forward to you replies!!!

brettK

NS-Icon
09-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I think you have a great idea and it may help plenty of folks in the community. However, as another long-term marketing feature you may want to make a website too which provide further details and place the website address on the leaflets you hand out or put through the door.

You could at a later stage make a members only section on your website providing people with a subscription service to recommended fixes / programs etc. As you already seem to know quite a bit about computers this should not be such a difficult task.

And with regards to payment, I would consider a fixed price hourly rate, otherwise you could end up charging too little for a job that could take a considerable long time to fix, something like a home network which is infected with Agent.CX virus.

Best of luck, let me know if you need help with the website idea :D

fredkawig
01-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Has your business bloomed? That was about 10 years ago. Today maybe a lot of people are computer literate already and are very knowledgeable about computers so they could troubleshoot their own computers already. In an age where technology is the number one fashion, there are still those people who do not know their basic tech and troubleshooting. It's kind of sad to be one of those ignorant people.

GordonTheComputerGuy
01-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I am wondering how he is doing as well. Computer help & repair can work if you know how to go after the customers you want to service.
You can either go the personal consultant route or open a shop. One thing for sure that I have learned is that people will not seek help until their system doesn't boot or they can't get on the internet.
Short of that they will put up with almost anything to avoid spending money on repairs. At this point your prospective customer has to already know your phone number because there is likely no way they can contact you via the internet since their system is down.
If you go the personal consultant route you can build up a clientele over time with a lot of face to face time.
Otherwise open a shop and do a lot of advertising and stay open on weekends and evenings.

oregano
01-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Computer help and repair is indeed an excellent service to offer if you're knowledgeable about such things, and you like keeping up with the ever-changing technology. I was also wondering how the original poster is doing, and if he's still in this business.

These days, with all the new technology coming out and so many people upgrading to the latest computers, tablets, smartphones and everything else, there is an enormous need for people who can help all the ordinary users out there with any problems they encounter. And even if a user knows, for example, how to deal with their laptop when it crashes, they might have no clue how to tell what's wrong with their new iPhone. Of course this could be combined with offering other services such as web design or app building, and you would have a great business that could be started with very little financial investment as long as you have a laptop, smartphone and the things that most of us own anyway. You could also offer lessons in how to use these gadgets, or how to set up a Facebook page or Wordpress site, or whatever - so many people need that and would pay to learn!

I would suggest working from home rather than setting up a shopfront, and promoting your services heavily in your local area (online, flyers, your local free newspaper, word of mouth etc.). If you're prepared to make yourself available weekends and evenings too, and you offer fast, effective service, you'll soon build up a big client base who will also recommend you to others.

MahaKarthi
07-11-2015, 06:53 AM
The idea is good because you wish to help those who are not computer savvy. You can upgrade with latest services because the world of technology is very competitive and advanced. New improved services will bring you more customers than focusing on a small segment of target audience.

raguraminfotech
02-11-2019, 11:15 PM
I have read your forum .i thought you were looking for some great ideas in servicing laptops .i hope my answer will definitely help you i am willing share my idea about replacing the laptop screen.

On the lower part of the display bezel you’ll find two covers hiding screws.You can remove screw covers with a sharp object. After that glue cover to the bezel so they don’t get lost.Remove two screws found under those covers.

STEP 2.

Start separating the bezel from the display back cover on the top of the display assembly.Use a piece of soft plastic.Insert it between the bezel and cover and separate them from each other.

STEP 3.

Continue removing the bezel with your fingers.First on the top and then on the bottom part of the display.

STEP 4:

Separate the bezel from the display assembly and remove it.

STEP 5.

Carefully unplug the cable from the left side of the web camera module

STEP 6.

Remove three screws from the right hinge bracket.

STEP 7.

Remove three more screws from the left hinge bracket.

STEP 8.

Now you should be able to separate the cracked LCD from the display cover and place it front side down on the top cover.Be careful, the video cable still connected to the back of the screen.

STEP 9.

Now you can access the video cable connector.By the way, the web camera cable is part of the video harness.Carefully unglue the web camera cable.

STEP 10.

Remove clear tape securing the video cable connector. Unglue the video cable and disconnect it.

STEP 11.

Remove the broken LCD and replace it with a new one.You can search for a new screen by the model number.

Hope my answer will help you..
Visit toshiba laptop service center in chennai (http://www.toshibalaptopservice.com/) .

Paganino
03-09-2019, 06:00 AM
As I understood you studied in college at ITT Tech and as I can see you know a lot about new trends in computer industry. So can you advise me a program or service which is similar to bitcoin mixer (https://bestmixer.io/en) and helps to protect money working with cryptocurrency and stuff like that. I'll appreciate it, thank you.