PDA

View Full Version : Computer Service Business: Need your opinions

clangton
10-02-2005, 11:59 AM
My dad and I have talked quite a bit about me starting my own business. One thing we talked about was basically computer repairs.

How it would work is that a small business most likely would pay me a monthly fee to be on call at all times. If they have problems with their computers, etc, it would basically be like the army reserves. Client pays me each month for being on call - if they do have a problem they call me, I show up immediately, fix it and thats it.

I was wondering a few things....
- Should i charge at all for labor in any repairs I do or is it covered in the monthly fee?
- How much would you be willing to pay? My dad says he would pay $200/month.
- Should I work it as a contract for a month, 6 months, year, or just pay for a month and your covered?

Please be honest and all criticism is welcomed

Thank you,

chad

tei
10-03-2005, 10:23 PM
It is real hard to answer something like that. Is your target market home users? If so, you must keep in mind that they are cheap. They don't usually want to spend money. That being said, you need to ask your self, when do you want to take calls. Is that a 24/7? or during certain hours. I use to work with my brother and we had contract that were 24/7. We did it for the financal market. I have been called in on every holiday and every hour of the day. Getting calls aat 2:00am is not unusal. However we got paid alot more than $200 for that service. Me personally I am getting ready to open my own based on the "Service Contract" Business model with tighter restrictions. My brothers company went bankrupt. Economy went to crap and he didn't budget very well.

Contract time I would do 3 months at a time. I would say for $200 per month for home users you should give them 4 or 5 hours then maybe a trip fee if it is farther than say 20 miles. Anything over 4 or 5 hours should be billed at a discounted rate like $30 per hour. Also, do you have some to back you up ay if you are sick or out of town?

Anyway this may help or not. Any more questions just ask. Where are you located?

Hamidifire
10-07-2005, 08:16 AM
be ready to work hard . i think you should target the small to medium business for monthly service contract. for them i think you should go at least for a six months contract. it's also a good idea to give them a free bee, like three months free if they sign-up for a year or something like that. and if they pay a service contract you shouldn’t charge them a monthly fee. what you can do is to put a clause in the contract that if they exceed certain number of hours there would be a additional fee or you could cancel the contract. because some people are just can't understand the computer technology and they are the source of all their computer problems. so leave a way out for yourself.
also you should set operating hours and a very high hourly rate on top of the service contract fees for overnight and weekends.
also go after the home market but only on hourly bases. but give them incentive if they refer you to a new client.
and most important of all BE PROMPT AND PROFASSIONAL at all times.
Good luck :D

FutureBusiness
10-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Yes be ready to work hard. I started out a small computer company and we are now the biggest office integrator in our region. Good luck!

I would be ready to work hard! - We started in 1990.

We now have a computer company, security cameras, office furniture liquidation, leasing company (for furniture), communications company (cabling, networking, phones, ect.) - all of this is under one corporation.

We also have a consutling company and photography/graphics company.

As well as a cirtus stand, tree farm and moving company (its under the enterprise)

gururaja
10-14-2005, 03:57 AM
1. Please make it very clear to your customers about the responsibility of procuring and stocking spares. If the variety of systems and peripherals increase you will not be able to stock the spares for immediately fixing the problems.

2. Also it will be a good idea to make preventive maintenance calls on your customers once in a while (if you are in the neighbourhood to fix some one else's system). This may prevent those 2 am calls.