PDA

View Full Version : Home Based Business - Separate Work From Your Personal Life!

wahmsales
11-26-2005, 02:31 PM
If you are creating a business that you will run from home - one of the challenges of running it, is the ability to separate business from personal life.

At times when things are hectic and you get frustrated, you can't go home to get away, because youíre already there. Thatís why you have to condition yourself to understand that when you leave your home office or store, you also leave your frustrations and challenges there too.

Make sure your time is spent productively while running your home business. Make a list of what has to be done on a daily basis to generate more profit, and compare it to a list of what is actually accomplished. This will show you where you are wasting time, as opposed to generating revenue.

It's nice that you are at home, but try to establish ground rules for your family where you have work hours. This means that unless something is really important, you don't want to be disturbed. This inludes friends phoning you while you are trying to do something important during your normal business hours.

Sparky1
12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I have both a "real" job and a home based business. It can take up a huge amount of time and I usually end up doing it in the late evening.

I also find that I keep drifting downstairs to do work because I am having so much fun doing it but I have to make a conscious effort not to ignore my family. Terrible I know but true.

faeriebell
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
if you work from home it is exceedingly difficult to stop working and have a "home life".

I grew up with my parents running a home business, so it's somewat normal for me to work pretty much all the time.

However, I do want to be able to distance myself from the work after a certain hour.

I stay on the computer, wether I am working or not, so I try and close all the windows I was working on for work, and start fresh for my play time. it seems to help so I don't get straight back into work stuff when I sit back down to the computer. :)

scenery3
12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Work at home means you have more free time, and no need to worry about traffic jam, rush hour.

faeriebell
12-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Work at home means you have more free time, and no need to worry about traffic jam, rush hour.
That's a misconception. Working at home can make you work longer hours than you would if you had an office job. There is a smaller distinction between your home and business lives. So I have to disagree, it does not mean more free time.

arman
12-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Based on personal experience, it helps if there is a separate physical space within your home. One area should be dedicated to work.

This will also allow you peace and free from disturbance so you can concentrate on being productive.

Some people I know even dress up like going ot office even though they are working within the home.

Hence, once you leave the "work space" and get out of your clothes, it will help you to relax and be in your homely mode.

annieb43
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
My experience has been interesting.
I run a Professional Organizer and other design
services business. During the inital starting of my business
I worked 16 hour days. Forgetting to eat, see my
family for quality time and felt guilt for it.
But they did understand and were encouraging.

Friends on the other hand wanted my services for free.
I did a few practice jobs for the referrals and testimonials.
For the portfolio before and after pictures.
Which is where I went wrong. They now think I am
a free designer. Any questions they have on a home
improvement project I get a call. Which is fine to a
certain extent. I like to be helpful. But, hire me for a
consultaion instead of expecting it for free.
I'm trying to make a living here.

Now that I am established, yet still relatively unknown
in the area. I spend a lot of time on line marketing.
Or doing face to face meetings with real estate agents
and other businesses. I find myself feeling the need to
justify how I spent my day. It takes a lot of time to do
it well. I don't think people really understand that.

I still get calls from friends saying, "your not working so..."
Yes dang it I am working. I'm just not away from home doing it.

My kids still think that since I am home, I am a free taxi service.
But I think they are finally understanding that I too have business
hours. They are in their late teens to early 20's and can fend
for themselves for the most part anyway.

Thanks for letting me join here.
I have learned a lot from all of you already !

otobits
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Work from home is equal to the work outside the home 8O . do know that there is what we IAS-internet Adictive Syndrom. Sometime we might think that home base work is we can have time for ourself. you might agree with me that when we face to pc we almost forget the time for our meal,bodyand even family. so it is a must to have a good time management. :lol:

jfab
01-15-2014, 11:11 PM
I have to admit that home based business is cool but it could sometimes get into my nerves when I have to battle with procrastination most of the time. It's hard to work when you see your bed or your computer is in your bedroom. I learned that now! But I also learned how to deal with time management. It takes a while to get the hang of these things but it's worth it in the end.

owesem75
01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I have to admit that home based business is cool but it could sometimes get into my nerves when I have to battle with procrastination most of the time. It's hard to work when you see your bed or your computer is in your bedroom. I learned that now! But I also learned how to deal with time management. It takes a while to get the hang of these things but it's worth it in the end.

This is why it is important to have a separate space in your home that you would call the HOME OFFICE. It is where you will do your work and NOT IN YOUR BEDROOM which surely make you feel like your bed is calling you more than the thought of doing what you need to do.

pandandesign
01-20-2014, 01:32 AM
I think when comes to home-based business, there are three things I have to follow: Productive, Plan, and Manage. These are three important factors I have to follow and sometimes people have different thoughts than mine because these three actually help me to keep my business going. I don't own a business, my dad does, and I am on my way to becoming a Real Estate agent, which I work on my own schedule and I can work at home if I want to. When I work at home, which I have done a few times, I manage my time and have to plan ahead because I have projects that are often due within a week. Being productive is the key because I just think that even though I work from home, I manage to get all the works done within the 8-hour period because that way I can get the project done ahead of time. I think it depends on how well you manage your time, because I think one thing about working at home is that some people procrastinate, which I think plan, manage, and productive can help to solve the procrastination issue or at least lessen the severity.

Sunshinegurl
01-20-2014, 04:30 AM
I agree, you have to have a separate Office room or the family will constantly bug you even though you are truly working! They seem to think well mom is here so she can taxi me at any given time, wrong! Work is work, and Family time is family time! They need to be understanding and basically have respect for what you do even if it is at home.

smartmom
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
This is great information. I work at home and sometimes you get these calls even from people that know you are working. I've even had to turn my phone down or off. They know the hours you work but choose to be annoying. These are the people that I have made a conscience decision to keep a distance. My family needs my income to help ends meet so I do not have time for things that do not contribute to my home. This is very helpful and true.

wahmbrenda
01-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Working at home is made even more difficult if you don't have a home office. If you're working in the living room around your family, then it's hard to concentrate. If you're working in the bedroom, it's hard to sleep in the same room. While you can live without a home office, you definitely need to be even more disciplined than if you'd had 1.

MLeoCasas
01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
It's interesting to note the level of variation in home-based business approaches nowadays. I mean, while it is very important to separate your personal life from work if you're, say, an independent accounting consultant, it may be advantageous to mix business and pleasure if you work in a field like social networking. Fields like Search Engine Optimization and Social Media Advertising almost rely on your willingness to incorporate your personal interests into your work. The new question then becomes; where is the line? In the age of big data and 'salable realism', how much of yourself is not open for business?

cpefley
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I really wish I had that option, but I often find myself squeezing work into my crazy, hectic day. I have 5 kids, and so many responsibilities. Sometimes i have to work from bed, so my toddler doesn't wake up and disrupt me. It is tough, for sure, separately work from personal responsibilities.

LindaKay
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
I LOVE working from home so much, but I have to say that I agree it can be difficult to separate work life from home life when your work IS at home. Having a separate office helps, but there are still challenges. For example, people don't seem to understand that I'm working during the day. They bother me and ask me to do things for or with them, and they get their feelings hurt when I decline. It can be tricky to explain to people that even though I work from home, I still need to work.

cpefley
01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
That is great! It is hard to separate work and home life. It is easy to say, "Oh I need to do some laundry" and not be completely focused on the work. Too many distractions. I wish I ad a proper office in my home.

LindaKay
01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
That is exactly what I mean, cpefley! Even though I do have a separate office here at home, it's still distracting. The phone rings constantly. Dishes need to be done. The dogs beg to be taken outside every hour. The BF wants me to "look something up real quick" for him online. And so on and so on lol. I still wouldn't trade it for the world.

mikelouis
02-05-2014, 12:54 AM
It is possible to separate work at home and personal life. It is all about time management. If you feel like you will be distracted when you sit at home, then a cyber cafe is always another option or any other place free from distractions. So long as you can work at your own pace in a distraction free environment, the concept is possible.

sdsnook
02-05-2014, 01:35 AM
I think this would be a better perspective. Number one with any job, you still have a living, breathing life outside of it. It is sometimes impossible to stop life so work can go on. I tried and tried to keep things separated, but the fact of the matter is you can't always control life! I have worked in the home, outside of the home with help without help.... circumstances do not matter. What matters is Time, your time management. I have thrown out the different to do list and stuck with a Master to do list, I found that if I had a list for this and a list for that.... I in fact was separating myself as a person. I am all things in my life and need to be mindful of all things going on in my life. With the age of information overload and technology, we have things simpler and more congruent then say 10 yrs ago. We also have things hitting us at faster rates, so we have to be on top of who's taking the kid to the doctor and who's running the report for this evening which oh btw WAS the night of your daughter's rehearsal...... Vaca, anyone?!

Lodismel
02-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I think the best thing to do if you work at home, and have the space available, is set up an office. Set up a specific space in which you do all of your work. That way you can say this room is off limits. You can go there for work and when you are done you can leave. It is somewhat of an illusion but it still works. I've heard about a lot of people who work from home like this and it seems to work for them very well.

DomDom
02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
I think the best thing to do if you work at home, and have the space available, is set up an office. Set up a specific space in which you do all of your work. That way you can say this room is off limits. You can go there for work and when you are done you can leave. It is somewhat of an illusion but it still works. I've heard about a lot of people who work from home like this and it seems to work for them very well.

This combined with a specific time schedule is the best thing you can do for your home business I think! Do work only in your office and do it only in the alloted time and thats it! Perfect recipe!

alec
02-05-2014, 04:05 PM
As with any business ran from home you have to do two things. First: separate the living space from the work space by converting a room, the garage or other free space in the 'company headquarters'. Second: separate your personal time from business time. Sure, you like to work long hours to assure your success, that's fine. But after those hours end stop interacting and thinking about it.

By separating both the living space and personal time from your business, besides the usual benefits: like better rest, time with the family you also get to properly check on your progress, tweak and return with a fresh mind and inspiration to face a new day.

cpefley
02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
I think those are all great tips, but it also depends on your work ethic. I often find myself working, while feeding my daughter, and trying to help my son with his homework. Sometimes, when it gets too crazy, I will have to leave and find some place quiet to work, but sometimes I don't have that luxury. At the present time, I can't afford daycare for when I need to work, so I have to make do. I really with that I could have regular work hours, but at the present time, it isn't plausible.

cassylexandra
02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
I am not good with time management, so sometimes it interferes with my personal life. However, I don't spend an enormous amount of time on my store. It's a small business so it doesn't last long. I actually try not to tell friends that I run a small business, and I like to keep it that way. So I keep the paperwork and my PC on a small table, just made for the small business.

wahmbrenda
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
cpefley I remember those days... Fortunately, my daughter is 12 now but that brings about a whole new set of challenges, especially since I homeschool her LOL

LindaKay, my own parents are the biggest offenders when it comes to me working from home and them thinking this means that I can do anything with them at any time. It's so irritating. Lately my Mom is on the kick of "Why don't you call me during the day? Are you ignoring me?" We keep telling her we're busy but she doesn't seem to be getting the message LOL

SmartPea85
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I agree that keeping work and play separate is the best advice, yet I know personally that this can be easier said than done. I have started my own cupcake business from home, and especially now that I am trying to get my name out there, entice new clients and spread the word about my business, it's always on my mind, even when I'm not in "business mode". When I'm out with friends I want to network and am always on the lookout for new marketing strategies; when I'm online I want to share my website updates and specials with my friends on facebook, twitter, linkdin and other social media; when I meet new people I want to gush about my project and load them up with business cards.

I believe a LITTLE bit of this mix can be helpful for spreading the word about a new business, but I know too much can be annoying to others and an easy path to a quick burn out for me.

her27
02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Although working from home takes some ingenuity in the beginning in order for things to fall into place I think that it does get easier after a while. My family respects my work hours and doesn't disturb me during these times. I would highly recommend designating a space exclusively for your home office and this helps to keep your business well organized also.

karmaskeeper
02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Working from home , takes a certain amount of discipline. It may sound easy, but really it's more difficult. It has its pros and cons. When you have taught yourself self discipline. It can be very beneficial and rewarding.

Bonyi
02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes it is important to separate work from home even if your business is home based. That you have a home based business does not mean free time. It means that you have to pu in more effort to grow that home business.

fredkawig
02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
A home based business is what I want but I have to ask permission first for the house which I have already given hints before and they responded negatively. Anyway a home based business will definitely work for a neighborhood who is supportive and would likely avail of your products and services either for personal or business reasons. It really is good to have a home based business to get money from.

RickGrantham
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I wrote an article on my site not too long ago that attacks this exact problem of the Homepreneur.

The article is here (http://rickgrantham.com/articles/small-business-advice/the-new-corporation-tips-for-the-home-preneur/)

The article points out four tips
1) Handling the Business Phone Line
2) Avoid the "Always Working" Trap
3) Business is about Relationships
4) Separation of Work and Home

Is there a specific problem that anyone is having related to their home-business?

Rick

nicolefiore90
02-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I agree you should have a sepereate space in your home for your business/home office and your personal use office. When you work from home you have to be concentrating on working at home not anything else going on around you. It is very important to be organized and be able to multi-task.