PDA

View Full Version : Motivating Employees Non-Monetarily

TheOtherAgentM
11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I work in industrial sales, and some of the employees need to be educated to understand the workings of the products. Others just need to know the basics for inside sales. These people are rarely educated past high school.

It's these individuals that don't seem to be motivated by monetary compensation after a certain point. Perhaps it's because most of these individuals never grew up with much, so they are quite content with what they are given.

I've found that people like to belong to and work for companies that are cutting edge or the big name in the industry. I look at my friends at Google and they are all brain-washed and work very hard for the company. My company is definitely not Google-like in that respect.

I'd be more than happy to compensate work with monetary rewards, but it doesn't seem to work. Perhaps it is the way monetary incentives are offered. Is there a better way to offer rewards? What have other people found to motivate employees?

qaconsulting
11-30-2005, 09:10 PM
One of the greatest rewards that a manager can get is the realization that he has helped his team find their potential to excel. To accomplish this feat, the manager must create the best environment, nurtured and encourage the spirit of the team, and create the opportunity and the conditions for them to succeed.

Everyone has potential. So many times our potential is repressed by others and ourselves. In the work environment, this untapped talent is a waste. Lack of productivity is a drain on the organization's bottom line.

Thankfully there are managers that see the true talent of their teams. They find the 'passion' within us and allow it to flourish in the workplace. They turn work teams from doing "good" results to "outstanding" results. By discovering and assigning tasks that employees are passionate about, we produce extraordinary results. But how do we get there?

The 'Passion Zone' was discovered as a way to seek and bring out the best in your team members, to maximize their output. It is discovering the strengths hidden within employees and liberating the talents for the benefit of the workplace.

It relies on you, as a manager, to understand and know your team members, to create the work environment that will bring out the 'passion' in the tasks that they do. It is all within your control.

The 'Passion Zone' will guide you through the process of understanding the passion in yourself, and then how to find the passion in your team members. It will also help you set up the working environment that will allow your team to complete your goals with extraordinary results.

Matthew Quasebarth, Quasebarth Advantage Small Business Consulting

Grumpy
12-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Sometimes giving an employee more responsibility is a great reward for them. It makes them feel more wanted and needed. Just a thought.

SuccessfulAdvice
12-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Hello!

Perhaps the method you can try is to motivate them by acknowledging a job well done! When you acknowledge the hard work your employees do or anyone you may manage they will make huge efforts to do it again from that moment on.

People appreicate good compliments and if they are not motivated by monetary incentives then the I would advise that you reward them with recognition and acknowledgement!

burste
12-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I agree. My old boss would come over to my desk at the end of each day and said "thank you for today". I'm not saying that you have to do this everyday - that was just his personality. But his respect for me made me put in my all everyday because I knew he appreciated it.

manatee123
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Regular and *specific* praise. As in, I good job on overcoming that customer objection and closing that sale! General praise comes across as mere flattery.

Another thing that works with some people is special projects and responsibility beyond the routine work. Some people really thrive on challenge and get bored with the same old job every day.

And of course be available and visible not one of those managers who is rarely around.

PrimeDirector
03-18-2006, 04:55 PM
If anyone has ever attended a seminar by Gary Smalley (marriage enrichment), he teaches about what he calls “Love Languages”. Since employment is a relationship (albeit perhaps not on the same par with a marriage), it seems worthwhile to find out exactly what each person, whether partner or employee, finds motivating. It’s not the same for everyone.

My wife has an Office Manager who loves gifts. She gets an annual raise and Christmas bonus, etc., but what really fires her up is to receive some simple (and possibly expensive) gift. I personally am driven by praise. One agent I have loves public recognition. My wife enjoys seeing her work (health care) benefiting others.

It takes a little effort, but getting to know each person’s “love language” can have HUGE payoffs.

PS – This is good with customers as well!

Sevenoaks
04-27-2006, 06:01 AM
What I appreciate the most is trust.

The best boss I had in my life was the one who used to tell me "keep me informed on how's going." and no more.

oregano
01-19-2014, 06:38 AM
These are all good suggestions - people certainly appreciate being recognized with a few words when they do a good job. And some, but not all, people will step up and do an even better job if they are given more responsibility and/or more influence in the management process.

These days, a lot of employees value extra "comfort" perks such as free lunch (yes , there is such a thing!), either cooked in-house or delivered from local restaurants. A well-stocked fridge and pantry in the lunch room is also very popular with employees, who can just help themselves to drinks and snacks etc. Another well-liked perk is a free gym membership, or an in-house gym. These are all facilities offered by big companies such as Google, and a lot of people in other businesses would surely appreciate getting these as well.

crimsonghost747
01-19-2014, 06:34 PM
While the original post is from years ago, I still feel that I should chip in.
If monetary rewards (as in, bonus etc) don't seem to mean much, then maybe you could use that money in a more creative way to make them feel better working for you. The amount of employees wasn't mentioned but as long as it's not too many, how about offering them dinner for their hard work. Fix a date that's fine with everyone and go have a great dinner in a restaurant at the company's expense, and make sure that they realize this is because they have been doing a great job.

It gives a personal touch, gives you an opportunity to know them better, and makes them realize that their work really is appreciated.

hillaryNC
01-19-2014, 08:57 PM
In some places, if there are like some employees who are doing exceptionally good that week they will let them pick straws and whoever picks the shortest one gets to take the afternoon off. Also you could give them a longer lunch break or add more vacation days!! People love money, but they love time off too! There are lots of ways to motivate employees, I hope this helps!

pandandesign
01-23-2014, 01:00 AM
I think an appreciation will help employees to keep working because they acknowledge that you understand how hard they work for the company sometimes that money may not be the main factor. I used to work as a Registered Nurse, which I worked at the emergency room for 12 hours a day for 5 days. Yes, I know I'm making money, but I like what I do. Plus, I really feel appreciated when my boss or manager actually understand that I work hard and I'm more about people because as a Registered Nurse, I have gotten the lowest paid out of all the Nurses in the ER. I didn't mind because I cared about my patients and I wanted my boss or manager to understand my work ethics and so on.

delusional
01-27-2014, 02:33 AM
We have studied this is business school. You can describe what motivates and demotivates people by using the two factor theory of Herzberg. You can see a diagram here: http://brad-crooks.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/herzberg.gif
The pink dot is the job description, the circle around that is what motivates people and the circle around that is what demotivates people if these things tend to be bad.

jfab
01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
You can definitely give some incentives to your employees that doesn't involve money. You can probably give them some travel opportunities or some showcase like appliances or for entertainment purposes. Some grocery goods would do too.

owesem75
01-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Appreciation and show of trust are to me the best way to motivate employees and it makes them happy. People whose work are appreciated tend to work efficiently well and very productive. Financial reward is a BONUS so they could enjoy and share their happiness with their loved ones.

mikka254
01-28-2014, 06:02 AM
Employees are not your friends. Deadlines need to met and a chain of command has to be established. What you're asking is how to make your employees like you. That's a bad question. Why should they, you're the boss. What you should ask is how to make your employees like working at your company. That's all you really need. A productive workforce ready to make that bank for your company instead of spending lunch time writing resumes. All you have to do is create an environment that is worthy of the type of business you conduct. You require loyal employees, I'm sure you have enough friends. Retreats are for the rowdy employees, daycare is for the female employees, discounts are for the money saving employees, healthcare and dental are for the employees with kids, cars are for the employees who can get a better offer, housing bonus is for the employee who helps bring the millions home. Just take a look at what is needed and make it impossible to leave. Not make friends, because even friends can stop being friends overnight. But cold hard cash always says the right thing.

LindaKay
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Let's be honest -- when it comes to work, the only reason why anyone really does it is for the money. It might be different when you're talking about running your own business, but when you're talking about people who work for you, you can't expect them to give 100 percent when you're only paying minimum wage or close to it.

But, you would be surprised by how much small monetary awards can make a difference. You don't have to pay six figures, but try paying just a little more than your competition. You might find that it is worth it when you have loyal employees who are willing to work as hard for you as possible. Showing respect and being a bit easier to work for and work with than other places can really make a difference as well. You have to give people a reason to cherish their jobs; otherwise, their attitude will be that they might be able to do better somewhere else.

swagger
01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Treat employees like friends, have bonding experiences where all of you go to a bar together, have fun opportunities outside of work with all them. One thing one of my old bosses did was have a monthly contest where whoever got the most work done/best quality work would receive a 6 months raise.

wander_n_wonder
01-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Working for a reputable company is usually a very good form of motivation for employees. Almost everyone likes to be proud of where they work at. It does not always have to be a very big brand name such as Google or Yahoo, but at least people should feel proud whenever they mention that they are working for a certain company. This allows them to continue working for that company.

cpefley
01-28-2014, 03:34 PM
That seems strange. I wonder why monetary motivation isn't working for you. I thought money was a great motivator for everyone. I know it would be for me, if I were an employee. Maybe they have just lost their passion. Have you tried to make their work environment more pleasurable? It the moral down? Maybe hosting a BBQ or an office party?

jordan wilkins
01-28-2014, 04:08 PM
If it comes down to it you might have to let some people go. If your guys won't be leaders you have to find somebody that will and it will benifit your company greatly.

ap4aaron
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
I always just give them small bonuses, like a free dinner for all your employees. Just show them you appreciate them. This is the cheapest way in my opinion.

DomDom
01-29-2014, 09:08 AM
I always just give them small bonuses, like a free dinner for all your employees. Just show them you appreciate them. This is the cheapest way in my opinion.

I agree with the dinner idea. Not only does it motivate them to work harder for you because you develop a bit of a friend attitude (be careful with it though) it also expands the team spirit and increases teamwork in the company!

LindaKay
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
That is a good idea. You could take them all out for a nice dinner after a particularly well-done job, or you can even do something simple like buy a couple of pizzas for lunch one day.

ksparks155
01-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Motivate your employee through giving them regards and special bonus and providing gifts to them.

jubvman
01-30-2014, 05:05 AM
I don't have any employees (yet!) so I can't give much of an insight. But I would definitely recommend reading 'How To Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. Its a great book for learning how to deal with people and it should help you motivate your employees.

fredkawig
01-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Rewards can either be material or non-material like the good feeling your employees have when they accomplish something or when they know that you as a boss was made proud by their actions. A lot of rewards either material or non-material can help the employees boost their confidence and makes them work because of the reward or the feeling that they will get after working. Give your employees treats once in a while to make them feel that you really care.

LindaKay
01-30-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't have any employees (yet!) so I can't give much of an insight. But I would definitely recommend reading 'How To Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie. Its a great book for learning how to deal with people and it should help you motivate your employees.

Thanks for the lead. I would love to read that book. I wonder if it's available through the Kindle store? I'll have to look for it today.

blaze4545
01-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I know that you said monetary compensation does not work, but how about promotions? In addition to the money a higher new status might motivate individuals to work harder to achieve this status. When employees do not have a decent education, receiving a higher status at their previous place of employment should count for something. Maybe connect with the employees and let them know that they are like family. Also, introduce other forms of rewards for good behavior and better work ethic. For instance, an employee who always shows up on time and does more than the average worker can pick the best shifts to work.