PDA

View Full Version : Solid Business Ideas

EnigmaEmpire
12-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Jason and I'm new to this forum. I'm currently 17 years old, and consider myself an entrepreneur. However, lately I have been in somewhat of a slump.

I have a mobile computer repair business, which brings in some money, but not as much as I would like. I'm planning on revamping parts of that business to hopefully help it grow, but I'm also looking into other business possibilities. I'm curious as to how best weigh the pros and cons of a business, and whether it is worth it to enter the market.

For example, I had been thinking of purchasing goods at wholesale/liquidated prices and selling them on eBay, but I'm afraid that unless I have a very unique product, or a catchy marketing theme, or something else to set me apart, that I will only lose money and be further back from where I started. I've also been looking into becoming a distributer for an Asian company, but I don't know what a lucrative product would be.

I understand that if starting your own business was easy to do then everyone would be a success, but it seems as if I just can't pinpoint the market that is right for me. I'm great with technology, I have strong initiative and great ambitions, but I feel like I've hit a slump. So if you guys have any suggestions or guidance, I would really appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Jason

Pinnaclelancs
02-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Hi Jason,

Sounds like you have some good ideas and a sound technological knowledge which are both an excellent start! But rather than thinking of business ideas and finding a market for them, it may be better to reverse the process, ie. find out what people want and then expand your business based on the findings. As you already have a customer base with your existing business, the potential market is there. All you have to do (much more difficult than it sounds!) is find out what they want.

Keeping an ear to the ground is one way to do this but at only 17 you'll be in no rush so you've plenty of time to research properly. Use brief questionnaires for example. You may find your customers want access to affordable computer equiptment, in which case importing from Asia or buying wholesale might work. You could also build your own pc's using wholesale parts. Or they may need basic IT lessons which you could start out by providing at their own premises. What you should also think about though, is if you are expanding too early? Have you really exhausted the mobile IT repair market within your area or is there room for expansion there?

Whatever you do of course, there will be financial risk through investment in products or advertising etc and taking this risk is what makes someone an entrepeneur!

manatee123
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Jason and I'm new to this forum. I'm currently 17 years old, and consider myself an entrepreneur. However, lately I have been in somewhat of a slump.

I have a mobile computer repair business, which brings in some money, but not as much as I would like. I'm planning on revamping parts of that business to hopefully help it grow, but I'm also looking into other business possibilities. I'm curious as to how best weigh the pros and cons of a business, and whether it is worth it to enter the market.

For example, I had been thinking of purchasing goods at wholesale/liquidated prices and selling them on eBay, but I'm afraid that unless I have a very unique product, or a catchy marketing theme, or something else to set me apart, that I will only lose money and be further back from where I started. I've also been looking into becoming a distributer for an Asian company, but I don't know what a lucrative product would be.

I understand that if starting your own business was easy to do then everyone would be a success, but it seems as if I just can't pinpoint the market that is right for me. I'm great with technology, I have strong initiative and great ambitions, but I feel like I've hit a slump. So if you guys have any suggestions or guidance, I would really appreciate the help.

Sincerely,
Jason

Jason, keep up the good work. You are way ahead of most 17 year olds.

At the risk of sounding preachy, please don't let the your business ideas distract from school too much. Someone with your drive and talent definately wants to finish high school, and then on to get a business degree. That is my opinion.

Andrea
03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Your gonna be one rich 17 yrs old kid. How Nice of you planning your future. Just learn to manage your time in business and school. And everything will be just fine.

Tho
05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Jason question? have you been to the book store lately? Me, this is what I would do and maybe it might work Buy books on how Dell started and then buy books on how how apple started read both and take notes like you've never taken before.

Then see what the two have in common and what the two dont... By the time you finish that you will know exactly what direction you would like to go in......

printer
08-11-2014, 01:20 AM
Great work dear.The work you have done sounds great.Keep it up and all the best for you future.

francisdaniel
08-11-2014, 03:21 AM
Hi Jason,

why not try doing business online?
Me, I just started being an affiliate selling 3d filaments online.
if you think it suits you check this link J & R Filaments (http://jrfilaments.com/3d-filament-wholesale-distributor-drop_shipper/).