PDA

View Full Version : Anything Else Worthwhile?

snowmaker_gregg
12-04-2005, 12:07 AM
I am glad i found this forum, it seems to be a place that i will be visiting frequently as i struggle with my own business i started a few months ago.

At first, all my advertising was by message boards and regular search engine results. I then started advertising with Google and Yahoo (overture) and my sales took a good jump up (well worth the small price i was paying for those visitors). However, things have leveled off and i am struggling to find a new way to advertise.

I sell home snowmaking machines (a mini version of what the ski resorts use) so my potential customers are spread out all over the place because 1) The places where its cold enough to make snow but still doesn't snow naturally are not bunched together 2) Even in those places there is only a small handful of people that would be interested enough by my product to buy it.

I am struggling to find a worthwhile way to advertise besides Google and Overture. I have heard that anything else that is pay-per-click just scams you or is too expensive. I have tried quite a few things and am just looking for a fresh new way to get the word out and get people coming to and getting interested in what i sell.

Any help would be appreciated!

GreenThumb
12-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Are you looking for online advertising menthods or offline? Some new business tend to segment their consumers geographically while others target specific lifestyles and ages.

I think your best approach would be to:-

1) Analyze your past consumer base. To me, it seems to be a need based one ie the need for a snowmaking machine. Still, try to see if there are any other linking characteristics. More often than not, there is insight to be had from secondary information. Once you nail that down, use that as a focal point for your marketing efforts.

2) Start a referral system/ incentive driven system that promotes a word of mouth dynamic for your business.

3) Up your community involvement. Being actively involved in the community almost always ensures a healthy social base that stabilizes you in hard times. Plus, once people associate your business with a friendly face, i.e YOU - it automatically makes for a good top of mind awareness.

4) Get involved in your local Chamber of Commerce. This will, once again, introduce you to other business owners around town and they will most likely see you as a friend rather than a threat since your business is extremely unique.

5) Start offering consulting advice to ski resorts. This might sound weird, but if you understand the schematics of what comprises a good snowmaking system, then you can consult for ski resorts for when they actually spend a huge amount of money on large machines. This should make for a nice supplemental income.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Lithium
02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
I think starting a referral system is the best option. A lot of successful businesses have done this.

pahagwl
02-28-2014, 07:55 AM
I would recommend you to start advertising your business on various tourism forums. This is due to the reason that the visitors of these forums include those people who might be the prospective customers for your business. You could also advertise on the various classifieds sites. I would also recommend you to use various sales promotion measures in order to increase sales.

coffee
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
A blog could be a powerful tool for you. You could write about your product (a little bit!) but write more of what your target market is into in relationship to your product. So for example your blog could focus on fun snow events, stories about how past customers used your snow to make their kid's birthday party the best ever, etc. Focus on writing to make the readers/potential customers feel something, and you can have an ad on the sidebar of your product or maybe include a brief blurb at the end of your posts something like:

Click here to purchase a home snowmaking machine to make this Christmas a guaranteed White Christmas.

cpefley
03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Have you thought about selling them through Amazon? It would definitely help widen your base, but might make a dent in profits. Social media, like having a Facebook page with useful info, might help but that is really a niche market. You might want to team up with a party supply rental company, because they might be interested in renting them out.

M.K
03-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Have you tried contacting your local stores? If there's a Home Depot, Rona, etc. nearby, they may be able to provide great advertising opportunities for you, of even carry your product! It's worth inquiring about.

crucider
03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
You should look into implementing an incentive system. And you could look into advertising on craigslist in places with a lot of snow like Alaska. You can redirect those users to your business and tell them to buy from there and even add a coupon for directly talking to you so they'll be more willing to buy since they got a discount.

delusional
03-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Your market is pretty small so you have to try to be the best in the market. Being the best has a lot to do with visibility. Do you own a website? If not, create on and try to be the top search result on Google for a lot off the related terms.

bonnieanna1986
03-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Make your presence known through as many social media channels as possible. Facebook and Twitter are powerful and often used forms of promotion for practically any type of business. Networking with similar companies is also very important. For advertising home snowmaking machines, even Youtube could be helpful for promotion of items.

foduu1
03-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Chance to find the you to start off marketing your business with various tourist boards. That is because of the explanation that the site visitors these boards include things like those individuals which could be your potential customers on your organization. You might promote about the various magazine sites. I'd personally likewise suggest you to make use of various revenue marketing measures in order to increase revenue.

Lithium
03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
YT users would hate to see promotional videos and I don't think they would be very successful there.

jubvman
03-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Firstly, you need to realise your target audience. Who are your buyers? What is their average age? Income level? Country of residence? The more you know, the easier it will be to market your product.

fredkawig
03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
You can use today's social media networking sites which can give your business a very big boost. Your friends will know and can help recommend to people they know who are interested in buying your snow machines.

the_jamal
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
I would get as present as possible on social networking sites. Meaning, having your own website/blog, being on facebook, being on twitter, being on instagram, etc. The more exposure you have on the internet, the more opportunities you'll have to reach your target audience.

albertj786
03-11-2014, 02:09 AM
personally i prefer social sites,blogs the use of these things that more and more people can be able to see your business and this the best way to spread your business all over the world by using these sites forums,blog and social media

ha777yya
03-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Make sure you site is optimised from an SEO point of view. And make sure you get a social following / presence. These are vital to maintain your success.

Eagles910
03-19-2014, 01:12 PM
I would get as present as possible on social networking sites. Meaning, having your own website/blog, being on facebook, being on twitter, being on instagram, etc. The more exposure you have on the internet, the more opportunities you'll have to reach your target audience.

I disagree with this to a certain extent. i do not think you will be able to collect enough friends, or followers on these sites for it to be effective. Twitter closed my account because i followed 100 people in 1 day. Facebook, and Instagram do the same. These sites are cracking down on that sort of thing. They want people to pay to advertise on their site.

angelicagapit
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Are you looking for online advertising menthods or offline? Some new business tend to segment their consumers geographically while others target specific lifestyles and ages.

I think your best approach would be to:-

1) Analyze your past consumer base. To me, it seems to be a need based one ie the need for a snowmaking machine. Still, try to see if there are any other linking characteristics. More often than not, there is insight to be had from secondary information. Once you nail that down, use that as a focal point for your marketing efforts.

2) Start a referral system/ incentive driven system that promotes a word of mouth dynamic for your business.

3) Up your community involvement. Being actively involved in the community almost always ensures a healthy social base that stabilizes you in hard times. Plus, once people associate your business with a friendly face, i.e YOU - it automatically makes for a good top of mind awareness.

4) Get involved in your local Chamber of Commerce. This will, once again, introduce you to other business owners around town and they will most likely see you as a friend rather than a threat since your business is extremely unique.

5) Start offering consulting advice to ski resorts. This might sound weird, but if you understand the schematics of what comprises a good snowmaking system, then you can consult for ski resorts for when they actually spend a huge amount of money on large machines. This should make for a nice supplemental income.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

This is some really helpful advice! Even though I didn't ask the question in the first place, I'll be following what you said once I start up my own business. I, also, was planning on just promoting my websites through Google & Overture, but thanks to you, I have more opportunities to take in terms of advertising.

Thanks again!

Eagles910
03-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I disagree with this to a certain extent. i do not think you will be able to collect enough friends, or followers on these sites for it to be effective. Twitter closed my account because i followed 100 people in 1 day. Facebook, and Instagram do the same. These sites are cracking down on that sort of thing. They want people to pay to advertise on their site.

Right. The social media promotion niche is slowly becoming extinct. Like you say those sites are cracking down on it. It is becoming harder, and harder to do.

Gmac9100
03-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Right. The social media promotion niche is slowly becoming extinct. Like you say those sites are cracking down on it. It is becoming harder, and harder to do.

I have noticed this trend as well, but it doesn't matter to me because i do not use it any way. It never really worked for me. Good luck to the rest of you though.

mikelouis
03-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Marketing your services should not be hard. At the moment I would suggest that you go for social media marketing. In most cases asocial media marketing has been working for a lot of people and it might also work for you.

Lithium
03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Sites like SurveySavvy have increasingly become more popular too.

jfab
03-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Facebook actually really works for advertising. I have done it and I am very happy with it. Twitter, not so much.

garfish
03-28-2014, 12:10 PM
isn't this a dilemma of the ice seller in frozen movie?
this should be a very challenging business and you might travel every now and then if possible to have a sale every now and then particularly to the tropical counties or to Africa. Can't you do that?

eagle22
03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
I would for sure start a social media campaign. This sounds like it is something that would go big on Facebook, so you could try doing some PPC to get likes and shares to your Facebook fan page. I also recommend collecting email addresses so you can market to them via email and offer them discounts on special occasions.

Starting an affiliate program would really help if you can afford to do that because then you will have an army of affiliates helping you with the sales so you don't have to go at it alone.

Lithium
03-29-2014, 10:49 AM
If you need to develop an early business, FB is the best tool indeed.