PDA

View Full Version : To get a cofounder or not to get a cofounder...

ecommerce
12-16-2014, 09:52 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I am starting an E-commerce business and I am not able to create the website myself. I've had a number of offers to build it in a one-shot deal by freelance web designers, but I keep feeling that having a business partner to create the prototype and stay with me to grow it and enhance it would make more sense. Also, I can't afford to pay someone to create the prototype, so I would be willing to offer the business partner an equity stake and or salary once the site becomes profitable and I have proven the business concept. Business incubators say they are interested in the idea but the only thing that stands in the way is the minimum viable product, or prototype.

Should I accept someone's generous offer to build it for free in a one-shot deal (which has been offered), or be patient until I find someone (like a student) who would share the same vision and passion as me for this company and be willing to join me as a commited partner?

Thanks!

CarolF
10-14-2016, 08:47 PM
If you don't need a partner to run your ecommerce site, I would go it alone. You can hire awesome freelancers to build a website or use ecommerce solutions such as Shopify to create the site. Not knowing what your product is, or how many products you will offer, I would still say outsource the website and use a simple ecommerce solution that you can manage, eg Shopify, Big Commerce or similar.

You need to focus on marketing, content marketing, social media, customer engagement and the overall customer experience etc verses managing a partnership or building a website.

StartupSarah
10-28-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole startup world and still feeling my way around a bit. But I find this question fascinating.

The podcast "Startup" covered this concept pretty in-depth in their first season, actually.

When looking for a cofounder, it makes sense to me to find someone who's skillset balances out your own. If you can find someone who's tech-savvy, can build the product and (hopefully) has the same passion as you do then that seems like a pretty ideal solution. I'm a little suspicious of the idea of someone making a "generous offer to build it for free in a one-shot deal", but maybe I'm just being cynical.

The other option, as has been suggested, is to bootstrap the thing yourself now, outsource the build, and have someone else build it.

moverdubai12
11-19-2020, 12:17 AM
Running a startup today doesn't need different authors, however a decent warning board in any organization is a great idea to have on your side. Simultaneously, having a fellow benefactor himself, Francesco Magro brings up that: ... I can say that if the originator is sufficient a prime supporter isn't required.

speeduser
12-30-2020, 01:44 AM
It depends on what you are actually willing to spend. If you have enough resources, you are better off with your own. - Paul Savramis (https://paulsavramis.net/)