PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Web-Based Business

dp4
01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
I think i have a pretty good internet-based business idea, problem is, I don't have any web design knowledge or experience at all.

I know how to start and run a traditional business but i have no idea where to start with web design. I realize it's a huge dilemma for the type of business I'd like to start but I'd like to give it a shot.

If anyone has any insight or guidance I'd appreciate the feedback. Should I hire a web-hosting company, ask a friend with a computer science degree for some help, or throw the idea out the window like so many others...?

Thank you.

dp

qaconsulting
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Definately don't throw it out.

Research, Research, Research...Your local library usually carries great resources on web businesses.

Otherwise, consider outsourcing your web site development. Site are even available online already put together, you just purchase the template and update the content. Be sure to find a website that will meet your needs. If you idea is serviced based, make it easily navigable and provide opportunities for customer feedback. If it is product based, make sure that you have troubleshooting available to your customers.

Also, consider the how you are going to market or sell your product. Will the customer be purchasing online, or will they need to order via phone/email/or mail to purchase. Each of these variables require separate web needs.

But most of all...research,

Sincerely,

Matthew Quasebarth, Quasebarth Advantage Consulting

denel003
01-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Hire somebody to make the website for you. Depending on what your needs are, you can get some great websites for cheap with little to no work. But yes, research is definitely key. If you have any more specific questions, that would help.

Starting a web based business is so much easier in many ways. Go for it.

Tamazon
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
:D You could also try finding something that is "turn-key" meaning the initial lay-out, website etc is already done for you. Many turn-key businesses have excellent products and promotional tools available. The one I found is completed automated - the marketing, sales, website - everything - is done for you. THAT is a completely turn-key business! The nicest part about it is you're saving step after step and getting right to the money making part!

firebringer
01-16-2006, 06:31 PM
The first question you need to answer for yourself is "Exactly what do I need my website to do for me?".

Its easy enough to put up a website these days with the WYSIWYG editors most ISP's provide when you sign up, but those sites won't draw traffic or sales by themselves.

If you want a site that gets traffic, and has the chance of producing income you have - in my opinion - two choices. One is hire a professional. A profesionally designed e-commerce site will run you at least $700 on the low side. Like building a house, or buying a car, the price goes up from there depending on the trim, bells and whistles you add.

There are turn key sites, with proven track records and reasonably low price points available. I use one of the best. I chose this route because I didn't want to turn control of my business over to a web designer - but then - I'm the kind of guy who likes to know whats going on and why. If you choose to do it this way, you'll work long, learn a lot, save money and maintain control - BUT - it takes longer and requires some serious commitment on your part to learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Keyword Analysis, etc..

There is no way around spending either time, or money, or some combination of the two. Keep in mind its a business decision like any other. If the potential returns exceed the cost - go for it!

Good Luck!

Jess Huffman

evej13
01-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi dp4

Don't throw out the idea of having a website. In today's electronic age, it's really almost a necessity. When I first decided to start a small business, I tried a couple of those web design templates. What a mistake. They say they're easy to use, but they're not. And even if you do go that route, you still have to write the copy for your site. Anyway, what happened was I decided to learn HTML and CSS (webpage computer languages) and built my own. Now I design sites for other small businesses.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Eve
[No URLs Please]

Netlyte
05-28-2006, 03:30 PM
DP4:

Often entrepreneurs are not familiar with how to exactly get started, the overall picture of how everything fits on the web.

You mentioned:
" Should I hire a web-hosting company, ask a friend with a computer science degree for some help, or throw the idea out the window like so many others...? "

Hire a web-hosting company?
You need a web-hosting company to host a website. There's no way around it. They'll probably charge you a monthly fee depending on what webprogramming languages you'll use, and if you plan to use a database(Access / MYSQL / Microsoft SQL).

What kind of web hosting company? Well that depends on what kind of website you need and what it is going to be programmed in.

Should you ask you're friend with CIS degree?
That depends is he/she is familiar with webprogramming languages - (ColdFusion, .NET, or PHP). If you plan on having an a Business then more then likely you'll require a database that can store user information such as their email address and name. So find out if you're friend is familiar with database design and development(RDBMS), SQL Query Language, which is often used to manage data stored in the database.

When interviewing potential webmasters ask them questions such:
Will the website be cross browser compatible?
How fast will the website load in a 56k modem?
Will it be SEO Optimized - Search Engine Optimized?(optional)

Start from here and see how it goes.

- Sam

Sevenoaks
05-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Do not throw away any idea before being sure it is worthless.
The web is a bit particular and you should gather some expertise before diving in. If you are not a professional developer, you'll need to hire someone for sure.

SC
05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I suggest you do some research before you begin just to get a better idea of what you are venturing into. You can easily get someone to create a site for you or purchase a template which requires little work on your path.

Do you mind sharing what kind service or products you plan on selling?

Wishing you success!

Bisi

aaronmp2003
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I design websites myself, and I will back up what the others have said about doing your research! Decide what you need, and then you can figure out if you need a professional web designer, or if you need to go with one of the templates or online page generators.

Any reputable web designer should be more than willing to give you a consultation to determine what you need or don't need.

Gipper
02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Hello dp!

Building a website is not as scary as it seems. It is not necessary to throw your money away hiring a company that will design your site the way they want they want to design your site. I would suggest you design your dream site on paper then bring it to life by going on lien. For example, first decide what you want the world to know about your business? What image do you want to project to newcomers to your site? What are the topics you want to offer on your site, ie the prices, your satisfied customers, your products etc. The most difficult part to creating a website is deciding what you want the site to contain and then presenting the information in a way that appeals to your customer base. I am not a website designer and I have no web credentials but I designed a website for a friend. The site looks like she paid a lot of money for it. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I decided I was going to do it then I did it. You can do it too. If your schedule does not permit you to take the time to create the site then that is a different story. I could give you a little help if you'd like.

jubvman
02-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Check out the website in my signature. That's my first website and I've been learning about Internet Marketing for around 3 months now, and the sites been live for a month. I know diddly squat about programming and the great thing is, I don't need to. If you need me to help you out just send me a PM and we can discuss it more specifically. I don't mind helping you out.

To give you a general idea of cost:
you can pick up a domain name with a .com extension for $13 / 9 max
The cheapest hosting I've seen is around $90 / 60 per year. But I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper, depends on your growth plans.

That's pretty much all you need, a domain and hosting. Make sure your hosting plan has Wordpress also.

P.S. If you want to set up an e-Commerce site, there are companies which do this for a monthly fee (around $25 is standard I think).

delusional
02-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Check out the website in my signature. That's my first website and I've been learning about Internet Marketing for around 3 months now, and the sites been live for a month. I know diddly squat about programming and the great thing is, I don't need to. If you need me to help you out just send me a PM and we can discuss it more specifically. I don't mind helping you out.

To give you a general idea of cost:
you can pick up a domain name with a .com extension for $13 / 9 max
The cheapest hosting I've seen is around $90 / 60 per year. But I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper, depends on your growth plans.

That's pretty much all you need, a domain and hosting. Make sure your hosting plan has Wordpress also.

P.S. If you want to set up an e-Commerce site, there are companies which do this for a monthly fee (around $25 is standard I think).

Those prices are pretty high. I pay about $9-10 for a .com, $20 for a year worth of hosting and traffic (unlimited bandwith, 1.5GB hosting space, ...).
You can set up an eCommerce store yourself (using Magento or any other service) for free. The fee will probably go towards the payment system.

DianaPerk
03-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Are you planning to start an online business but have no idea where to start ,where to focus, and where to invest time and money and how to make best use of it.Here are few steps how to get started.

1. Get know your long and short term goals. Take research on how each online channels help you to reach your goals.

2. Create Business Plan which includes research on your target market, your competition,your products,fiances etc.

3. Find the market your are looking to target for your niche.

4. To Build a web based business,you need to have website.Try to make your website best that anyone has ever visited.

5. Spread your business through different marketing channels such as Facebook,Twitter and LinkedIn

If you are looking for getting online,start with building your website.For creating website that has ever visit, consult with innovative and experienced website designer.

If you need any help regarding web professional let me know.I will recommend you best website builder in the market

All the Best !!

Thanks

stockbrokers
09-20-2014, 01:51 PM
find a reliable partner, and offer her/him to split the profit

Chris_Tax
09-20-2014, 10:03 PM
I cannot stress this enough. You need to be selling a very unique product to be successful with an internet business. Even if it is weird or strange. I see tons of internet businesses failing

gandu
02-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Find a partner who can handle the technical side of things. Ie. like a friend who is in computer science.

avtecus
09-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Online businesses can definitely pay off in long run. I just recently started my online store, I have been in this business for a while but did not have much online presence. check my site and let me know what you guys think. www.avtechus.com

Roland
07-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Wow this is an old thread but one I see a lot. If you're thinking of starting a web based business, make sure your website and accompanying systems support all the other business functions you'll need to support any business: customer support, payments, invoicing, feedback, reporting. With the availability of Software as a Service (SaaS) platforms like Shopify and Etsy, it can be cheap and quick to test out new ideas.

That being said, you'll want to make sure before you invest any money or significant effort that you understand what your target customer's needs and pains are.

"Ask not what your website can do for you, but what your website can do for your customers" - JFK, no wait - Me

Good luck and have fun!

- Roland

AarushiAashi
05-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Look at these 16 online business thoughts, from beginning your own apparel and visual creators can begin a business dependent on their gifts.