View Full Version : EIN# SS-4 Form Help/ LLC Co.

01-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I just started my first website business with one (1) partner. We've set the business up as a Nevada LLC. No employees. We need an EIN# in order to get a bank account and a business license. We're going to split the profits 50/50.

I have two questions regarding the form SS-4:

#1). Under item 7b SSN, ITIN, EIN-
It's asking for an EIN number when I am applying for one. I don't want to use my personal social security number as a partner is involved and I dont want to mix my personal with the business. Do I have to list a social security number there or can I leave it blank since I'm applying for an EIN#?

#2). Under item 8a* Type of entity:
I'm reviewing the IRS SS-4 form and under number 8a (Type of entity) I checked other and listed Limited Liability Company. Then I noticed on the IRS website that the IRS listed that an LLC is NOT considered an entity type see link (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...152949,00.html) but in Nevada an LLC is considered an entity type so now I'm confused.

Should I select Partnership as the entity type? If yes, why and what forms do my partner and I need to complete monthly/annually and send to the IRS?

This is our first business and we both are currently learning all areas of business and do appreciate any advice. We do plan on talking to an accountant but have no idea where to start as far as finding a good business accountant. We just want to get the EIN# today and register it accurately to avoid any future problems with the IRS.

Thanks in advance for your help with this form.[/b]

02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Well just do i as i did. Im not a US person, so getting a ITIN take months, and i dont have a SS#. So how i did get a TAx ID, i paid for those services out on the web, they sign for you the SS4 form with their SS# so you would not put yours on it. It helps but costs 200$ just do they fill the form for you.

02-22-2006, 04:52 AM
I know you have probably already filed the SS4. But as a two person LLC, the default rule is that unless you specifically request to be treated as a corporation, you are treated as a partnership, as such, you should select the partnership box as the entity type. Under line 7a-b you enter the name and SSN of the partner completing the SS-4. Most mult-member LLCs accept the default of being treated as a partnership instead of a corporation because of the double taxation factor of being treated as a corporation.