PDA

View Full Version : Should these be two separate businesses?

Magian
01-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Two themes:
1: Creative Digital Media
This is to include graphics, audio, web and page design.
2: Digital Training Services
These include software training, music/instrument training, language training. Content will be both streaming and downloadable video in addition to digital documents. Printed booklets are also a possibility.

Should these two distinct themes be two different businesses or is it feasible to to combine all of this under the umbrella of one business? I am uncertain what the advantages/disadvantages of separating or not separating these themes would be. Any advice or at least a reference to somewhere where I may research for myself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BusinessMan
01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Maybe two different websites... but if they are both owned by the same party, I can't see why you would go to the trouble of supporting two businesses (with the additional overheads, such as company returns).

Unless of course perhaps disposal was a possibility downstream.

Maverick
02-01-2006, 03:48 AM
As long as you're NOT established a formal school, requiring state licensing, I see no value to having two separate companies. I do see expensive disadvantages.

There are two clear cut issues here.
1. Entity legal structure
2. Marketing presence

One legal structure would be adequate providing neither of these services have high liability. If one did and the other was low, it might be prudent to keep them separate, so if one crash-and-burned, the other would stay active.

But if both are "low risk, ventures, as they appear to be, and are relatively same industry related, then I would follow BusinessMan's advice and have one legal entity, but two separate websites.
Regards,
Maverick

Brahmac
02-26-2006, 01:52 PM
It would probably be best to provide those services under the same company. They are both related to digital media, and you can even provide the training as an extra service that would of course be a useful one for your clients.

jubvman
01-29-2014, 02:20 AM
I would put both services under the same business. As far as I know, it's common for a digital media company to also offer training. Besides, offering the services under 1 company will save a lot of headache and will be much simpler for everyone involved!

delusional
01-29-2014, 03:44 AM
I would create one business to do the creative process but ALSO have an option to school people on how to manage their content and advertise online. This way you can give the people the choice of either letting you do the work and paying for them or letting them pay you to teach them. I'm not sure this is a perfect business model because you're teaching people to take over your work but I think it can work because a lot of people just don't want to put the effort in and if you are offering to teach them, you seem more inclined to help them instead of just sell them something.

Auror
01-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Yep, these businesses can be combined. Just try to create a name for your business which would cater to all things digital. If you are going to make a website for this business, you would just have to create sub-categories for both services. One main category would be the Creative Digital Media section and the other would be the Digital Training Services section. It would be much easier to manage if they are combined into one big business.

myepicdemise
01-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Like others have stated, you should combine these two businesses. A good reason would be that if one area of your business is successful, it may help to attract clients to the other area of your business, since both businesses are under the same entity. It might also save you money in terms of employing people to oversee your businesses as well, since you could just employ one person to look after both.

janineaa
03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
It would be better to just have the services under one company name. They are both in relation to digital media so it must be okay to have one website for this. The training can just be added services that would be beneficial to clients too.

stockbrokers
09-09-2014, 12:36 AM
I would definitely combine both of them under digital media business, it's easier and cheaper to manage 1 company rather than separating them

CarolKenneth
01-24-2016, 11:02 PM
It would probably be best to provide those services under the same company.

KaleyTapia
01-25-2016, 05:10 AM
I don't see the point in establishing two different companies. It will only increase the work and cash outflow. It may do good to society by increasing the jobs. The extra cash outflow part may be negated if the capital is structured (http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/06/capitalstructure.asp) properly.

Zimmy
01-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Same company for sure, but maybe use a fictitious name for one of them, so it appears as two businesses

conraddykstra
08-07-2017, 12:37 AM
It should be two different businesses because marketing will be hard when these two are put in one umbrella. In marketing, you have to have a specific niche you target and you should not be too broad. If you want to make more sales, you need to have a great marketing plan.

Ryan78
04-12-2020, 10:58 PM
Hi there, i am new to this forum!

Mathias2000
04-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Are you in need of a financial instrument such as; BG/SBLC for lease or purchase?? We can broker either both fresh cut. Both can also be monetized.

Contact Details;

Mathias Eberhart
+44 775 960 8431 - WhatsApp No
+44 745 239 3998 - Direct Call
Email: iameberhart@hotmail.com

speeduser
12-14-2020, 05:08 AM
If you want it to be, then it should be like that. The drive and the reason why you put up the business should be considered. - Phillip Elden (https://phillipeldenoregon.com/)