PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a right to know?

sublimity88
02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
My husband of two years works for his mother's company and will take over the business when she retires. (This will probably occur within the next 5 years.) The company is successful and she lives a seemingly comfortable lifestyle.
I know my husband's current salary but I have no idea what his future earnings will be. He feels he will be violating his mother's trust by divulging financial information to me. He has not discussed this with his mother.
I feel I have a right to know. It's seems unfair that he can see a more clear picture of our financial future. I feel distrusted and unimportant.

Is it my business to know his estimated future earnings?

FYI: I work full-time and manage our home, caring for our two children from a previous marriage.

BusinessMan
02-14-2006, 02:07 AM
To be honest, it sounds like a domestic issue between you and your husband. On this level though, and on the face of it, as this is clearly upsetting you... my personal take would be that he needs to look at this or himself somewhat (I can't work out what sort of guy hides important stuff from his wife, or perhaps why - maybe it's more complex than it appears though, as he may feel in a difficult position).

Really, confronting him and telling him that this IS a big issue might be the only route forward. You'll then have to decide where you stand and how to proceed based on the outcome.

Legally, I'm not sure where this falls on the spectrum.

printer
08-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Yes businessman is right this issue is between you and your husband.you will have to talk to him.

paul woodall
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
At this point, I would not worry about it as you say it will be in 5 years...unless there are other reasons why you have to know now (i.e. divorce).

Once his role and salary changes, yes you should know but right now it's probably not your business to know how much his mother makes (i.e. his future earnings).

I would suggest you calmly state that as the time nears, you guys should openly discuss what the opportunity is as I am sure he will be much busier and it will impact the bother of you.

Don't make it a big deal as it sounds like it could be an opportunity (and it could change) down the road.

farmerjohn1324
10-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes I think you have a right to know. You know him well enough to have children with him, he should be able to tell you this. That is my (not so) humble opinion.

kitchie
09-25-2015, 05:29 AM
I think in my opinion you just have to wait til your husband takes over the company. That would be the right time for you to ask him about it. But for the meantime be satisfied for what you know and trust your husband so that he will trust you in return..

aaabright
09-29-2015, 12:59 AM
YES!! you have a right to know this.