PDA

View Full Version : "junkyard" type business and inventory

beatracing
02-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Hello.

i run something like a small-scale salvage yard, we buy and sell cars and salvage parts off of them at deep discounts. Things have gone well so far, we keep our overhead low and up until now my partner has been able to simply memorize condition, location, and quantity of all our parts.

Obviously that can only go on so long, with nearly 500 parts sellable per car x now 12 cars we are unable to continue in this method -- it also doesnt make sense as it's harder for our customers to track our inventory and harder for us to be efficient and grow.

so, is there software, preferably open source, that would be recommendable for inventory of parts that are really one-off: we typically dont have two of the same part in the same quality, etc, and nearly every part needs a picture to catalog condition. It is all very time consuming already.

Further, we are trying to generate a solution for tagging each part. Scanner systems and UPC bars are pretty cost prohibitive, we used to do hand-written tags which worked well but consumed a TON of time. any other ideas?

owesem75
01-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I wish I know some software or tools that you could use to help you with your business. But the reason why I am here responding to your post is that I find your business simple but sophisticated to some extent. I am sure you've already made a lot out of this business and your desire to get things organized is an indication that you probably now in the stage of expansion. I dont really know and given the year of your post (2006), you probably have gotten what you're looking for and I hope you return to this thread and share the current status of your business and so we could learn from your experience!

Kteabc
02-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Have you considered making a spreadsheet? Google documents has spreadsheets that are free and can be shared. You can add and remove items as much as you would like. You could have a column for part, condition, price, etc.
If you share your spreadsheet with someone else and they make a change to it, it will update in real time on your sheet as well. I will gladly send you and example that you are more than welcome to use. You would only need a gmail (google email) account to access it. Feel free to PM me if you would like.
I know it isn't a fancy option but it's something to start with and it wouldn't cost you anything.

sdsnook
02-11-2014, 04:16 AM
I would think an online store would be good. You would be able to inventory it all and keep a better track of stock, not to mention what you sale, how much and how many quantifies. I too would help in anyway I can. I would think you could tag them by price as well, rather then upc. Hope you find what you need!!

tspires2
02-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree an online storefront would be really good for you! Not only would you be able to keep up with your inventory but your customers could go to your web store and know your inventory as well. The customer can even choose to purchase online and then pick up just to give you a heads up and as long as your checkout through the online store for all of your purchases this will keep inventory on track and keep up with sales as well. This could be your one stop shop so to speak!