PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Catchy Name for a Business

mgreen26
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of creating a new business. I am not good at naming though. I am a certified forklift instructor and its all about forklift safety. I thought of "Safety Smarts" as a name but I dont know how catchy that would be. Any suggestions????

Thanks, Michelle

MD_Designs
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Lifting Standards
Safety Lifts

Tiffani
02-25-2006, 12:24 AM
saf_lif

8)

manus
02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Safe forklifting

Forklifting safety providers

Smart lifts

Wayne
02-25-2006, 08:34 PM
The Hi's and Lo's of Forklift Safety :lol:
Don't forget where to build your web site!

wilkins
02-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of creating a new business. I am not good at naming though. I am a certified forklift instructor and its all about forklift safety. I thought of "Safety Smarts" as a name but I dont know how catchy that would be. Any suggestions????

Thanks, Michelle

I always call a registered agent, like Harvard Business Services in Delaware. They have a salesman, Brett, who helps us create all our new names. Their 800 # is 800 345-2677 (CORP). He even reserves it for free. If you call the state dept of corporations yourself, they want to charge you.

Wayne
02-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Michelle

FSG - Forklift Safety Guidelines
FSP - " " Procedure
FAST - Forklift Applied Safety Techniques
FOSA - Forklift Operation Safety Applications
FIRST - Forklift Industry Required Safety Techniques

GoBlueFan
03-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Just some ideas

Lift Safe
Forklift Safety Training Center
F.A.S.T - Forklift Applications in Safety Training

I think short and sweet is better!

Good luck!

contentondemand
03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello.
Here is a creative process for coming up with a clever name or witty slogan.

Divide a sheet of paper into columns, or create a table in Excel or Word with about 5 columns.

Take a seat and get ready for a brainstorming session. Have a dictionary and book of quotes nearby.

In the first column write down all the words associated with your business (include business name, products, what people use them for, etc.) Review product lists, executive profiles, company history, and company documents to make sure you have them all.

In the second column write down words associated with the words in your first column (look for opposites too)

In the third column write down verbs associated with your company, products or services.

In the fourth column write down any words that have a double meaning that are associated with your company. Reference words in other columns and find double meanings, insinuations, and variations on spelling that can give you more double meanings and insinuations (this is where the humor comes in)

In column five write down any phrases, old quotes, old book titles, etc. associated with any word in any of your columns (use variations on spelling to.) Stay away from trendy catch phrases that are here today and gone tomorrow. This takes research!

Now look at all of your columns and get rid of anything too vague or offensive.

Somewhere in this list of columns is a very clever name---you just have to pair up words/phrases and work it out.

Good luck!

innovatize
04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Great post by contentondemand!

My suggestion would be to avoid using the word "forklift" in your name, as this is really narrow and will be too restricting in the future. Nobody really wants to hire a consultant only for forklifts.

Yeah, yeah, I know that narrowing your focus is a good strategy, but in this case, I think forklifts is too narrow for the long term.

Another suggestion: Think from the customer's point of view. Do your customers really care about forklift saftey? Well, sure...but what they REALLY care about is saving money or earning more money or lowering costs. Maybe think of a way to incorporate this concept into your name.

blueshift
05-01-2006, 01:16 AM
HEMACO (HEavy MAchinery COmpany)

If thats taken, you could try something along those lines.

rwb_66
05-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Hello!
I wish you much success. A good name would be something simple like, "Forklift Training House" or "Forklift Training School". We have a good business going that I hope I will be allowed to discuss later.

Thanks and God Bless,
rwb_66

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Michelle

aaronmp2003
06-01-2006, 08:33 PM
You could work backwards. Instead of trying to come up with a company name, come up with the name of your website FIRST! You'll need to make a website for whatever company you come up with, so get your domain name first.

Nameboy.com and Domaintools.com are good tools to use. Good luck!

taunon
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
You can try a domain name generator. I just checked one and found that domains like this are totally free and available to register:

forkliftabc.com
forkliftez.com
123forklift.com
abcforklift.com
forkliftsmart.com
liftabc.com
lifttips.com

good luck!

builderbob
07-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Have you tried using a name generator, something like makemy.name ? You could try using it with forklift in the related section. I find it takes a number of goes before getting any good names.
It's free, but I know there's a bunch of paid name generation companies out there, just google for name generator...
i hope that's helpful,
BB

her27
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
A business name is probably one of the most important aspects of your business and can even make or break a business, so I think that you are very wise in seeking the advice of others regarding this particular business matter; not only to obtain the opinions of others as far as a good business name, but, in addition, to gain some very valuable feedback and/or insight with regards to any names also. I think performing some research on the subject would be worth your while, too, since it is such an important aspect of your business just to see what some of the experts have to say on the subject.

canon_fan
02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
One of my personal favorites in this thread was Lift Safe. Short, sweet, to the point. Or, Safe Lift, I can actually imagine what the logo would look like in my head right now.

Hostinv.com
02-14-2014, 04:59 PM
As aaronmp said, I'd check the website name first. Try to get a catchy ".com" domain name, and if your brand ".com" is not available, think on another name. I'm with the idea that it's better to change your business name before starting it, than try to stick to it, getting a .net or .org instead of a .com, because finally what your clients will remember is your brand name, and they'll just put a .com after it when trying to reach it in the www world, and if that .com domain is owned by a competitor, you'll not be only loosing customers, but also you'll be advertising his business for free.
Another suggestion is to get a short domain/brand name, so it's easy to remember. Let us know what was your decision. Good luck!

delusional
02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Hello.
Here is a creative process for coming up with a clever name or witty slogan.

Divide a sheet of paper into columns, or create a table in Excel or Word with about 5 columns.

Take a seat and get ready for a brainstorming session. Have a dictionary and book of quotes nearby.

In the first column write down all the words associated with your business (include business name, products, what people use them for, etc.) Review product lists, executive profiles, company history, and company documents to make sure you have them all.

In the second column write down words associated with the words in your first column (look for opposites too)

In the third column write down verbs associated with your company, products or services.

In the fourth column write down any words that have a double meaning that are associated with your company. Reference words in other columns and find double meanings, insinuations, and variations on spelling that can give you more double meanings and insinuations (this is where the humor comes in)

In column five write down any phrases, old quotes, old book titles, etc. associated with any word in any of your columns (use variations on spelling to.) Stay away from trendy catch phrases that are here today and gone tomorrow. This takes research!

Now look at all of your columns and get rid of anything too vague or offensive.

Somewhere in this list of columns is a very clever name---you just have to pair up words/phrases and work it out.

Good luck!

Incredible guide contentondemand! It's still no guarantee but it will get you a long way. Last time I needed to come up with a name, I wrote down all kinds of keywords about the business and put some together.

SamTheMan
03-27-2014, 09:10 AM
As aaronmp said, I'd check the website name first. Try to get a catchy ".com" domain name, and if your brand ".com" is not available, think on another name. I'm with the idea that it's better to change your business name before starting it, than try to stick to it, getting a .net or .org instead of a .com, because finally what your clients will remember is your brand name, and they'll just put a .com after it when trying to reach it in the www world, and if that .com domain is owned by a competitor, you'll not be only loosing customers, but also you'll be advertising his business for free.
Another suggestion is to get a short domain/brand name, so it's easy to remember. Let us know what was your decision. Good luck!

Totally agree here, something simple that you can just add .com to will make it much more memorable for potential clients

Work1099
11-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Michelle

I recommend the book "Positioning" by al ries and jack trout. It covers how to effectively select a name for businesses and products. It does so well.

RobertML
05-17-2016, 04:13 AM
Rule number one! Pick a name that doesn't mean anything. That way you can keep the name if your business changes direction in the future. My company is called Stratus-Pikpuk, that name is good for anything. When I first started out 17 years ago I was selling campstoves, now I run a fulfillment center. Kept the name all these years.

Zimmy
05-17-2016, 08:01 AM
I'd like the name a lot more without the s at the end.

cuong24081995
12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Have you tried using a name generator, something like makemy.name ? You could try using it with forklift in the related section. I find it takes a number of goes before getting any good names.
It's free, but I know there's a bunch of paid name generation companies out there, just google for name generator...
i hope that's helpful

bandbconsulting
06-29-2020, 12:16 AM
In my opinion, the name is extremely important. Because the name is the identity of your business and your product. Finding a great business name is tricky, and when you take a pen and paper and start thinking and juggle the words, phrases, and sentences.

Exa: We offer a bed and breakfast consulting services. Then I choose a business name like B&B Consulting because people can easily understand which services we provide.

Lilykevin86
06-29-2020, 02:51 AM
Infectious Business Name Ideas

SwipeWire. Item/Industry: eCommerce, Technology, App Developer.
SecureSmarter. Item/Industry: Security, Web Security Services.
Dwellsmith. Item/Industry: Real Estate.
SaleSmarts. Item/Industry: Sales Training, Sales Consultin.
Industrus.
AgencyStack.
CloudQuota.
Overseek.

Anju700
03-26-2021, 12:00 PM
International breaking news and current affairs from US, Europe, Middle East, Asia, Africa and more. The WOWWNEWS Al the Latest International News & hedlines from around the world with breaking news, live updates & much more. watch news on demand anytime , anywhere! whether it's breaking news alerts, the latest, trending articles, US and world news or opinion pieces on politics. Business news, small business news, business financial news from wowwnews. The news you want it. Follow wowwnews .
Plese visit.. www.wowwnews.com