PDA

View Full Version : How to Open a Coffee Place

coffeeman33
03-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi

I want to open a coffee business but I am confused about the regulations, what I need to know about if I need or not to have restroom, and emergency exit ...And where can I get all the info I need. Also what is best for me do I need to be a corp or LLC. please I need some help
Thank you and have great day

Joe

BusinessMan
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Franchise or not? Either way, the big franchises may have some info for you.

You could also try your local authorities (town, sity, state), or Chamber of Commerce or similar. You might find some contact details in the phone book if you can't find them online.

firebringer
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Your city health department and licensing departments will have all of the answers you need for this type of question - and it differs for every city.

There is also a walk through for a basic business plan on my site - its free, and a coffee shop startup manual on the Traditional Business page - not free.

Best of luck,

Jess Huffman

cognitivechaos
03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I think your concerns--whether to have a restroom, emergency exit, etc.--are the least of your worries. What about your plan and the business itself? Have you done adequate research? Are you confident of your plan and business model? Will they work, even against stiff competition coming from established folks like Starbucks? Just some things to think about.

-Robert

coffee_kid
06-19-2006, 02:01 PM
First, what kind of experience do you have?

Obviously, there are regulations regarding food preparation that you will be subject to. I know that here in Houston, you have to have a Manager Certification and a Food Dealer's Permit. You may need to have your construction blueprints

What part of the country are you in?

/* Advice provided is give without guarantee or warrantee and is only based on personal experience. Please follow all road signs and adhere to local laws and regulations. */

Andy1982
02-04-2014, 04:45 AM
If you give your local council or authority a call they can send an agent out to the site you had in mind and will give you a list of things that they need to see before allowing you to trade. Things like wheelchair access, toilets perhaps, access to water and the make up of equipment you might need that you haven't thought of.

delusional
02-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Do you want to be something like a Starbucks or do you want to sell the beans? Both businesses are very different with regards to regulations so can you please provide us with this information? Both can be very successful if you are in the right area. If you are near a college campus, you can be really successful. If you are near a Starbucks, it's better not to even start.

cpefley
02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
This depends in what state that you are opening a coffee shop and whether or not it is a franchise. Emergency exits and a bathroom in any establishment that serves food is usually a must. About the S Corp or LLC question, that depends on a few things too. Here is a great page I found with the benefits of both: http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/llc-scorp.htm

delusional
02-05-2014, 05:56 AM
This depends in what state that you are opening a coffee shop and whether or not it is a franchise. Emergency exits and a bathroom in any establishment that serves food is usually a must. About the S Corp or LLC question, that depends on a few things too. Here is a great page I found with the benefits of both: http://www.businessknowhow.com/startup/llc-scorp.htm

Great link! Also great website! I didn't know it existed. I have been reading up on some technicalities and this seems to help a lot.

touqeer
03-14-2014, 08:03 AM
But there are also the disadvantage of the LLC
The member who use the LLC are consider as self employed and they must pay the self employment tax.
When the company is dissolved they must fulfill all remaining legal issue to close the business.

farmerjohn1324
10-05-2014, 11:45 PM
You're going to compete with Starbucks? I hope it works out for you, but I would never try it. I think someone else said this, but the government and business regulations are the least of your worries. Those problems have nothing specific to do with the "coffee shop" industry. Look at your state building code and if you can't find the specific department, call some state office and ask where to find the regulations you are looking for.

You're also competing with grocery store coffee. That's where I go if I ever buy coffee.

sam07
03-23-2016, 03:23 AM
try to read this site. http://articles.bplans.com/13-tips-open-successful-coffee-shop/
i also apply the steps and advice that they told, its good and will help us

rajveer12
11-28-2017, 03:41 AM
franchise is the better option as you want to enter in the coffee shop business.:)

Delliar
03-12-2019, 08:53 AM
It's also important to assess fire detection and warning systems regularly and make sure that they are in working order. I think, no one wants the systems to stay idle when a fire happens, so I recommend applying to this service https://www.americanbackflowprevention.com/service-backflow-testing.php

Anglinia
03-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Yes, restroom, and emergency exit is important for the coffee shop. Comfortable environment and quality service and also delicious coffee are the basic requirement for any coffee shop.

Emily_R
09-10-2019, 02:50 PM
That's so cool you want to open your own coffee shop! I know it can be pretty confusing starting up your own business. So many things to think about!

I'm also interested in running a business. And as I was doing research, I came across a few articles about buying an existing business. It made me start to think that maybe until I got some experience under my belt, I should consider managing or purchasing a business that is already up-and-running. I found an article called, "Reasons to Buy an Existing Franchise (https://sigmamergers.com/reasons-to-consider-buying-an-existing-franchise/)," that had some really insightful points, such as the franchise will train you on what needs to be done and how (and no worries about restroom and emergency exit codes since those should already be in place!), the business will already have brand recognition, and you'll start generating revenue right away. With these things taken care of, I can learn how to properly manage a company and understand which things need priority. All of that will help me be better prepared for running my own business one day.

I hope my ramblings were at least a little helpful! Good luck in your endeavors!

Kevin Joseph
08-02-2020, 07:09 AM
As a member rightly pointed out, it depends largely on the state that you're in.

My sister runs a restaurant in NY state and she mentioned licenses from the health as well as the fire department.

I do remember that she struggled with fire approvals.

If you need help on this, let me know, I can ask her for more details.

lishmaliny
05-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Start in a restaurant incubator.
Apply for restaurant loans or explore capital opportunities.
Find an investor or even better, an angel investor.
Get creative with crowdfunding.
Consider starting with a pop-up, food truck, or catering business first.
Ask your landlord for options.