PDA

View Full Version : A business I wish to create

MacDougallSolution
03-17-2006, 11:19 PM
I am a 19 year old college graduate I recently graduated with a diploma in Advertising. I Live in Canada, and I wish to start a home based business which basically I advertise for clients in ways they choose. I need to know what I would need to basically start this up. I do have a computer, internet, etc. But what would I need to do to officially start my business, and what would you think I would need. (try to be as cheap as possible, because right now I only have a part time job). I even came up with a catchy name. "The MacDougall Solution"

Thank you very much.

Ryan MacDougall.

hostingdiva
03-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Ryan:

I don't know much about Canada because I'm in the US. But, here we have a the Small Business Administration - it is a goverment organization that works with small businesses. Check with your local offices and see if you all have something similar - if so, contact them :D They will definitely be able to point you in the right direction :)

cognitivechaos
03-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Ryan,

What kind of advertising did you study? Do you feel you are equipped with enough knowledge and experience to start a business based on said? If you seek to start a traditional advertising firm for high-budget projects, you might run into some barriers. I would start small and I'd learn copywriting -- that is, writing advertising copy for various applications, like direct marketing letters, websites, promotional material, brochures, etc. You can get paid serious money (we're talking $10,000-20,000 for a single sales letter) and have some fun, especially if you're naturally "sales"-inclined.

It's hard to get into traditional advertising, the stuff you've been used to for your entire life like the television commercials, billboard ads, and print ads that you see every day. That stuff is being gradually revolutionized anyway. It's better not to get into it and attempt to compete with the big players in the business.

jfab
01-15-2014, 10:56 PM
There are so many businesses you could start online. If you're good with graphics and design, you can always do some graphic designing gigs. You can also put up your own SEO business. These are so far your options online aside from web developing.

LindaKay
01-15-2014, 11:13 PM
That sounds like a relatively easy business to start up that shouldn't cost much. I wouldn't think you would have to do much legally for that type of business other than just get started and keep track of all of your financial records for tax purposes. It's great to see that you have such a business-oriented mind already. Good luck with your endeavor!

fredkawig
01-16-2014, 10:24 PM
You should have at least the capital to start the business. Calculate the cost when you advertise and whether or not you have other competitors and the prices they charge for advertising. You should also take into consideration the target customers that you are trying to sell your service to and whether they have the financial capabilities to pay tour service. You should also be knowledgeable and up to date with your planned business and the risks it includes.

aklaalnoe
01-18-2014, 08:57 AM
If you have decided to manufacture and sell your invention yourself, or are setting up a business in connection with your inventing, you will need to create a business plan, which will be essential when you try to raise capital.

oxpaulo
01-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Best thing to do is to start a blog and write articles based around your Advertising acumen. Blogs have very little startup costs, about 75 bucks for domain and hosting. If you give out solid advice and start ranking high in google and develop a following, it's all gravy from then on. Advertisers will find you if you have a following, trust me.

cpefley
01-19-2014, 11:13 AM
This seems like a great site to start with some resources: http://sbinfocanada.about.com/ I think it sounds like a great idea, and I hope that you pursue your business dream! Canada also offers help with financing a small business startup. You might want to check it out here: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/Home I'm not Canadian, but it looks like Canada offers just as many great resources as the US.

pandandesign
01-20-2014, 01:56 AM
I live in the United States, and I'm not sure what are some of the regulations in Canada such as tax and things that are similar to it. However, for me, I would first start to creating a website, which you can use blog-based websites such as Blogger and Wordpress because both of them are free to use. Both Blogger and Website are based on CSS, which is much easier to create, and there are a lot of business owners use Wordpress as the basic website for their businesses. Second, social medias really help to promote the website once you've created it. I would think it's because most people have at least one social network to connect with other people and/or use it as part of the bridge to promote the business or works they've done.

oregano
01-20-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm also not Canadian or in Canada, but a few minutes of research has shown me that it is indeed relatively cheap and simple to set up a small business there. When you're just starting out you might want to simply register as a sole trader, which means you don't even have to establish a company, and can start operating straight away. Your business' income counts a personal income, so you will only have one set of income taxes to pay, and your accounting will be relatively simple. Just be aware that you would be personally liable for any debts or other liabilities you incur in the course of doing business - but in your field that shouldn't be too much of a risk.

rastasnake
01-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi, I live in the UK, and if things are the same as they are here, then that would make this a very cheap business to run if you are only running it from your home. It would mainly depend on how you advertise your business, and since that's what your service is, then it should be relatively easy. I would also set up a website and start with some very low prices to get your customer base up, otherwise if you have high prices, people will just go elsewhere, to experienced businesses.

Good luck and that is a catchy name! :)

itjustjamo
01-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Start something small and local. It's great that you have a degree in advertising. My suggestion would be to go to local businesses and tell them that you have a local advertising business where you put out a quarterly/monthly/weekly (your choice) newspaper talking about the best local businesses in the area. If you can convince them to subscribe, say.. $50 a month or more then you are off to the races. On of my college professors did this up in Ontario when she was getting her Bachelor's degree, and it basically paid for her schooling.

Axmen
01-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Have you any knowledge of programming?
If you have it, don't hesitate to code a website. A community of some kind that will get a lot of traffic, that will give you a lot of cash.
Options can be through Youtube, Facebook, make E-books.
Yes, there're a lot of things you can earn money on through internet, just use your brain in a right way.
Be creative.

Good luck.
- Best regards, Axmen.

Chuck’s Confectionery
01-21-2014, 08:43 AM
I agree with ITSJUSTAMO. When we first got our feet off the ground most of our business came from our area and clients were referred to us by “word of mouth”. Small and local is the way to start off.
I incorporated prior to taking in any clients simply for tax purposes; I didn’t want to mix business and personal finances. As far as the web goes, there are a lot of hosting companies that have click-and-build sites which give your company a professional appearance and are extremely easy to setup. I think these days it’s imperative to have both websites and social media pages up in order to become successful.

Hostinv.com
02-14-2014, 05:12 PM
My business is oriented to providing the necessary tools to have presence online. So my strategy is divided in two parts: One local, in the "real/offline world" talking to small businesses owners, and explaining them why they need online presence (website, corporate e-mails, etc.). And the other part is in the "online world". Posting in forums like this one, e-mail campaigns, PPC, etc. I recommend you to do the same, promote offline, that will get you local customers, but also online, so you can go a little bit global.

BTW, my business is one of those companies mentioned by Chunk's. And right now I'm trying to promote our very easy Website Builder. Feel free to PM me if I can help you in anything :)

Good luck!

delusional
02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
I would look for some kind of small business administration office and ask your questions there. Unless someone from Canada can provide more information as to how they did it.
You can already start by building a beautiful website and trying to get the SEO in order.

mramirsking
03-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Get some advice from your university, they should be able to help you. I like the name of your brand. Check the competition and the market your aiming for. I'm a newbie myself so I can't offer much advice other than generic pointers. Advertising is big business and I'm sure there's lots of money to be made from it. What do your lecturers say? Maybe you could start up a blog and start small just to test the waters.

stockbrokers
10-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I really like your spirit, you might need to be very specific on type of business, then you can start thinking what is necessary to build the business, how to attract people to use your services

noface0711
04-05-2016, 06:01 AM
If you have decided to manufacture and sell your invention yourself, or are setting up a business in connection with your inventing, you will need to create a business plan, which will be essential when you try to raise capital.

snegyK
11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Website Building is good way to start your online business, especially if you have knowledges in advertising.

We went on a cruise to the Caribbeans this summer and when we were "preparing" for the trip we were told to use a business forum called KnowYourPros (www.knowyourpros.com) to find local business that offer services in which we might be interested in. It made a lot of sense and it was very easy to use this as a reference, as the website gave a very easy way to find what we were looking for. Since we've came back I have been trying to find a similar service for small businesses in NA, but I have not been able to. I believe such a tool may bring more business to small ventures that otherwise may be missed by people interested in their services. May be you can build this? I would definitely be interested in enlisting my business in such a place. Let me know if you or anyone else decides to do it.

EdwardParkernl
03-13-2019, 11:49 PM
You should create a proper plan and than you should know about marketing to grow your business.

jassica12
12-02-2020, 03:30 PM
you can take a start from freelancing at various online forums as most of the businesses are affected due to the corona pandemic many people have shifted to work from home and freelancing is the best slowly you can grow your business with the help of a small team into a big one