PDA

View Full Version : Should the Owners Children be Allowed in a Small Office?

dearwill
03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
I am a small business owner that started a company with a partner last July. We are an IT consulting firm, as well as doing retail computer sales and repair. My partner and I both have children, and kids are some of the most wonderful things in the world. My partner's wife started as our secretary, but has an 8 year old and a 5 year old. Our business has seen phenomenal growth, and we are now up to 6 employees. When we started, having the kids in the office was a necessity due to limited starting capital, but now that we are profitable, I feel the kids should not be in the office because it is unprofessional. My partner feels somewhat differently.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether an employee should be allowed to bring their kids to work every day? Is it as unprofessional as I feel it is to have children running around in a small retail store? Does it diminish the perception of a professional work environment? What would you do, yes or no to kids in the office? Thank you everyone for your feedback.

BusinessMan
03-27-2006, 01:48 AM
IMHO the question is whether it adversely affects productivity, or sales.

If it doesn't affect the work itself, and if customers don't see them (and hence aren't put off purchasing in any way), then I can't really see a problem, assuming there are no H&S legislative issues. If it's just the customer issue, then maybe they could just disappear when they are due on the premises.

I'd be inclined to break the issue down to the practical impacts, rather than view it as a subjective issue of what is or isn't 'professional' (whatever that actually is in reality).