PDA

View Full Version : Legal Highway Advertising?

vspin
04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I notice along a highway on agricultural property, there was a stationary trailer with an advertisement spray paint along the side of it.

Is this legal to do without any special permits?

I was considering doing the same thing and not having to get into a costly year contract with a billboard company.

Also, I notice the back of an outdoor theater screen faces the highway perfectly, would it be legal to put an ad on it? With the theater's permission of course.

RMMarketer
04-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I really like your thinking. Those kind of advertising tactics are regulated by state and local laws however for the most part if it is on private property and you have permission of the owner you can usually get by with it so long as it does not unduly distract traffic. It sort of goes back to the farmers who used to allow advertising on their barns.

In 96 when the Olympics were held in Atlanta and the Olympic committee had an exclusive agreement with Budweiser, Miller Brewing Company used some of the same tactics you are talking about and it worked very effectively. I would take some time to research your state laws but even if you would misinterpret them usually you would get a cease and desist order before they would fine you .... not always though.

Good luck and post and let us know how it goes.

vspin
04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Thank you. :)))

I'll let you know how it goes.

Richard

Maverick
04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
This type of advertising has been used for many years. Many years ago, a company marketing a product called Burma Shave built their business, much due to the effectiveness of roadside signs.

This type of advertising is regulated in many areas. Typically, the larger the city, the greater their regulations may be. There are city and county regulators that you will need to check with. Some cities are very tolerant and you can get away with mobile signs painted on the side of a vehicle and strategically placed. Other cities are wise to this attempt to skirt around their regulations and can be a problem if their ordinances aren't obeyed.

I suggest you check on your local regulations, and then decide if you will place strategic signs for display. Fines and your business credibility can be an issue. This way, you will at least know your options and risks. If you're in a very rural area, it may be of little concern. I've seen this issue many times and in many cities over the years. Following good business practices is the order of the day.

Regards,

Maverick

printer
10-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Nice post and great thinking you can use this for long time.you can check it on local suggestions and then decide strategic signs for display.with the help of this you will know about your issues.

dubaitourism
12-23-2019, 03:04 AM
The expression"billboard" is derived from"billing plank," a large outdoor advertising space made to capture the interest of motorists and pedestrians. Typically placed around foot and automotive high-traffic locations, billboards are supposed to be simple and striking.

holisticbuilder
05-21-2020, 03:22 AM
The Federal Highway Beautification Demonstration of 1965 requires the states to give ... REPORT 119, "Control of Parkway Publicizing Signs—Some Lawful Issues.