PDA

View Full Version : Employee Performance Problems - Need Some Advice

Azmoon
04-14-2006, 02:19 PM
The employee who does only the minimum to prevent himself from getting into a serious problem. He has been counseled several times before by his previous supervisors of different Sections and has not shown any improvement.

He is easily irritated whenever changes to working rules or methods are made. He also dislikes any form of additional responsibilities. His quality of output is also barely meeting standard. He is slow in learning new skills and performing his duties. He was cautioned 2 years ago for putting up a "less-than-satisfactory" performance.

How to guiding him in work or emotional support?

ByteFortressAaron
04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
In my personal experience, I wouldn't have let it get that far in the first place. It seems as if he is ungrateful for the position he has, and unless he was of some relation, I would think seriously of removing him from your company. It is hard giving chance after chance, when a person is unwilling to take the advice and encouragement in stride. Thes types of issues can be hard to deal with. More so if your company would spend alot of money trying to replace him. I wish you luck in this.

Azmoon
04-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Last time he was bright and hardworking person. After promotion he transferred to another branch. Because he is not very familiar with the internal procedures and work environment, he tends to make mistakes every now and then. He gets upset whenever a mistake is made

EASJennifer
04-17-2006, 06:16 AM
At the very least, he needs to be formally written up. It should state anything that you find unsatisfactory, what he needs to do, and the time line to do it (i.e. In 3 months he needs to do this, in 6 months he needs to do this....), consequences if he doesn't hit the targets, and make him sign it. And then stick to it.

He continues to do it because you aren't giving him consequences, he knows he can get away with it.

Also, if he's getting annual reviews, he shouldn't be getting a yearly raise.

LindaKay
01-16-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm sort of surprised that you have been putting up with this for two years. There are enough people out there who want to work that you don't really have to put up with subpar employees. I would definitely think about looking for other employees if things don't change very soon, but that's just my two cents. Everyone deserves a second chance, but two years' worth of second chances? Nah.

fredkawig
01-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Wow that seems like a play at work employee. Is he your relative or friend? If I was the employer I would have fired him a long time ago. There are others who are more qualified for work and are hard up in finding a decent job. I suggest you give him an ultimatum and if he still does not care, then you should let him go already. Unless He's your son or a close friend for that matter, it's still up to you.

owesem75
01-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Last time he was bright and hardworking person. After promotion he transferred to another branch. Because he is not very familiar with the internal procedures and work environment, he tends to make mistakes every now and then. He gets upset whenever a mistake is made

Sometimes, a change in working environment affects the motivation of a certain worker. He must be consulted with it because if he is working so hard on the first assignment given to him and then a change in work attitude becomes evident when he was moved to another function then there must be something wrong.. NOT with the person, but to the "change". I believe this can be fixed. Either you put him back to the branch or the position where he is so good at, or send him to training and associate a small incentive to it. He may have perceive the change to be something like a demotion unless it was properly explained to him prior to the move.

xwolfiex13x
01-18-2014, 11:46 AM
I have had a similar problem. I ended up having to let the employee go because they would not change. The mistakes took place more often and nothing I could do would help. I sincerely hope that you will have much better luck than I did. Because your employee was promoted at one point, I am hopeful that the attitude may change. Good luck!

ap4aaron
01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
If the employees are not trustworthy, I usually start out with a warning. If they continue to do badly, don't feel bad about threatining them. Remember, you have the power over their jobs, they don't own your business.

LindaKay
01-20-2014, 06:08 PM
If the employees are not trustworthy, I usually start out with a warning. If they continue to do badly, don't feel bad about threatining them. Remember, you have the power over their jobs, they don't own your business.

Although this sounds a bit harsh, I think that's how you are going to have to be with an employee who has been letting you down for so long. By letting it go, you are only encouraging the behavior and letting him think that he is the boss. Don't stand for it! Take control of the situation. Let him know that you will be more than happy to let him go and find someone else who will appreciate the job if he doesn't start appreciating it himself very soon. That is how I would feel about it, anyway.

hillaryNC
01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
It seems to be that he may be past the point of helping. He doesn't seem grateful for the job, or like he respects you. He must not think that you are serious about the warnings or he would have improved his work habits. Although it may be hard, and you may feel sorry for him, when you own a business sometimes you have to do what you have to do! Maybe you firing him would be a rude awakening for him and would help him to improve his habits in a new job!

gHiros
01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Your employee appears to be afraid of failure, and that's why he works the minimum amount of work, avoids increased responsibility and does not want to be accountable for his actions. However, one thing going for you and him is that fact that he was a "bright and hardworking person". Try to build on that aspect.

Maybe what you need to do is create a set of detailed instructions for him to follow for all his tasks. That way, you can create some level of success and he can minimize his errors, and the fact that he can refer to the instructions provides him with a safety-net. As he accomplishes each task, praise him for his accomplishment and his attention to detail. As time goes by, hopefully he can break out of his shell and start to show more initiative and be a proactive member of your office.

oregano
01-21-2014, 01:25 AM
It sounds like your employee is in the wrong job now - you say he used to perform well before he was promoted and transferred. I'm guessing his job description is quite different now and it's simply not suitable for his skills, experience and interests. I've seen this happen with a lot of good sales people, for example, who get promoted to sales management and find themselves completely lost. They typically hate managing other people, having to make tough decisions and sitting in an office all day, and it shows in their job performance. They end up switching jobs or getting fired, then the company picks another sales star to promote, and the problem cycle is repeated.

You really have to decide whether there is another position in the company that this guy would be more suited to, or if you simply need to terminate him. Right now he's not doing the company or himself any good, so something needs to be done. If you think he's worth moving to a different function, have a frank talk with him, then put him through some psychometric and aptitude tests to help pin down what he should be doing.

Alternatively, you need to bite the bullet and start the necessary procedures for terminating his employment, while looking for someone who can take his current place.

wahmbrenda
01-21-2014, 01:48 PM
There are some people who are simply lazy or have no initiative. If this has been an ongoing problem, which seemingly this is, then there might not be anything that you can do. I hate to give up on anyone but I'd probably give them a final warning, let them know it's a final warning and be done with it.

LindaKay
01-21-2014, 02:54 PM
There are some people who are simply lazy or have no initiative. If this has been an ongoing problem, which seemingly this is, then there might not be anything that you can do. I hate to give up on anyone but I'd probably give them a final warning, let them know it's a final warning and be done with it.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

I mean, it's nice to look out for other people and give them second chances. This doesn't sound like this particular employee was having a bad day or a bad week, though. We all have bad days, but there is really no excuse for having "bad years."

I'm with WAHMBrenda -- give him one last chance and let it be known that this is the last chance. After that, it's time to find someone else who will do a better job.

Andy1982
02-07-2014, 06:42 AM
The employee who does only the minimum to prevent himself from getting into a serious problem. He has been counseled several times before by his previous supervisors of different Sections and has not shown any improvement.

He is easily irritated whenever changes to working rules or methods are made. He also dislikes any form of additional responsibilities. His quality of output is also barely meeting standard. He is slow in learning new skills and performing his duties. He was cautioned 2 years ago for putting up a "less-than-satisfactory" performance.

How to guiding him in work or emotional support?

If this person doesn't like how you are expanding or changing the workings of the business to improve it, then you should let them that they might want to begin looking for other employment. I would alway start off with an "in office" chat to let them know they are not doing enough and you'll be getting harder on thi point. Give a timeframe of a month with a review at the end and keep a very keen eye on their production. Move from there with more written warnings if the standard is not improving. Then the boot if you have to; not a nice thing to do but it's not their money on the line here. Good Luck.

sylviakanash
02-09-2014, 06:41 AM
I think your company should consider hiring another worker who is willing and able to work. Tolerating a person for such a long time is not doing good to the company. He will keep pulling the company behind and I am worried this might at the long run affect the performance of the entire company. You should consider firing him.I am sure the person signed a performance contract before he started working and he is not obeying it. Let him go.

delusional
02-10-2014, 05:11 AM
I think your company should consider hiring another worker who is willing and able to work. Tolerating a person for such a long time is not doing good to the company. He will keep pulling the company behind and I am worried this might at the long run affect the performance of the entire company. You should consider firing him.I am sure the person signed a performance contract before he started working and he is not obeying it. Let him go.

Very valuable information. It's bad for your company to have someone slacking off. Better to let him go when you find someone who will replace him.

Lodismel
02-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I think that the best solution might be to fire him. That will definitely show him that he is not performing up to standard. If somebody doesn't meet the minimum requirements there is no reason to keep them on. It may sound even more harsh than what a lot of people are saying, but sometimes that is the best solution.

mameeker@cuse
02-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Are you sure that this employee's actions are not due to him/her feeling under compensated for what they are doing for your business? Is this employee's pay the same as other people who is doing the same job as them? I would suggest sitting down with this employee and asking them why they feel that they should not put their best effort towards your business. My unorthodox suggestion would be to give them a slight raise and let the employee know that they are now in a position to work harder or be terminated due to this raise.