PDA

View Full Version : Temp or Hire

mbtmd
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I really need to hire a secretary but I am nervous to dish out the money. Should I use a temp agency to see how it goes or simply bite the bullet??

BusinessMan
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
It can't do any harm to try first. At least you will then be able to work out how cost effective it will be, and whether you can justify a full time salary.

profitxchange
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
List out exactly what you want this person to do.

Then see if you can outsource to a local agency.

Outsourcing may seem expensive BUT you can turn the tap on and off as the work load demands, and you do not have the problems of employees.

bizguy
05-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi mbtmd,

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit confused :? :)

Is it the money, fear of hiring someone who doesn't work out, or being unsure if they will have enough work to keep themselves busy?

If it is truly the money and you know that there is enough work, don't hire a temp agency, you won't save any money you will spend more. Go through the hiring process and find the right person, make sure you are clear on a probation period and keep the wages to what will fit your budget and still land a good candidate. Worried about taxes and paperwork, outsource that part of it. Use your strengths and hire your weaknesses.

If you are worried about hiring the right person and you know there is enough work, see above.

If you are worried about there being enough work, do a short term run with an agency, make sure you check references on the agency. Be vigilent on how much it is costing you. I have seen companies just continue to pay for the temp because of the convenience, when they could have hired someone for about 30-50% less.

Screening will be the key to both a temp and a hire.

One other thing you could do to reduce your cost and exposure to risk, is start them off in a part-time temp posiiton, no benefits, let them know it is with the potential for full time but no promises. This would also allow you to incrementally increase the amount of time you give them depending on what the workload demands and your budget allows.

Hope that helps.

oregano
01-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Hiring someone as a temp can actually be a great way to try them out with no firm commitment from either party. If you like your temp secretary, offer her a permanent job as a regular employee once you're sure. I worked a series of temp jobs in my early twenties, and was offered permanent positions at several of the companies where I was temping.

And if you're really not happy with the person the temp agency sends you, you can just ask for a replacement, no hard feelings. And if you think you might not need a secretary on a full-time basis, you can always try to get a temp who works a few days a week, or a few hours a day - just as you can hire someone directly on a part-time basis.

fredkawig
01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
If you have friends or family members who are qualified, I suggest you try to talk to them first. It's better when the money circulates within your family rather than elsewhere especially when you are tight-fisted with money. Other than that, you should definitely post an ad for the qualifications of your work or work through an agency. You should also indicate your budget so that people would know ahead of time how much or how little you are paying. What exactly do you need a secretary for? You can actually use internet sites, freelancing sites to help you out with paper work.

pandandesign
01-23-2014, 01:17 AM
I think if you want to hire someone, have a detailed interviews and ask all the questions you need that you think they are necessary for the work the person can do. You should tell the person the job description, and maybe do a 30 to 60-day training to see how the person does. You are going to pay either temp or hire anyways, which I think it is better if you set a 30-day as a testing period. If you think you really need a person, there's no time for a temp because some people may not be interested in a temp job.

crimsonghost747
01-23-2014, 03:36 AM
I'd start with a part time position. This way you will see how well they manage and how much it actually helps. Not sure about the laws in your area, but if you can make a part time contract with say, a month or two month probation period, then that would be enough for you to estimate if he/she is worth the price to pay.

ZekeCabnCrk
01-25-2014, 08:11 PM
For a position like a secretary, going the temp route would be ideal. Temp agencies everywhere typically hire workers with office experience so you'll have plenty to choose from. If the employee doesn't work out, then you don't have to worry about the commitment a full-time hire would bring.

delusional
01-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Hire a temp. Just see how he/she is and if he/she does his/her job well and try to estimate how much hours you would need him/her to spend every day/week to get the work done.
A lot of people go through a trial period so this is absolutely normal. If you don't want to go through an agency, just put a temp ad online.

mbland
01-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Do the cost analysis. For what you will be paying the temp agency you may be able to afford a full time secretary. If the need for a secretary is that great go with the temp agency as a quick fix and use that as measurement for the need for the position. If the temp agency provides you with a quality temp then you should consider offering the full time position to the temp. If the temp agency allows for such action... This way you are getting experience and a trail run with the secretary as well. Good Luck!

swagger
01-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Hire a temp to see how he/she's working ethics are. If you like that person, hire them full-time. If not, hire another temp.

jfab
01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Try to hire a temp first to test the waters. If you really need one so bad then you'd have to risk on it anyway. It's okay to go for a temp secretary when you're just starting so you could also adjust to the pay that you have budgeted for it.

blaze4545
01-27-2014, 10:48 AM
As others have mentioned, go with hiring a temp first. This will allow you to build trust and develop a relationship with that individual. If you like them, you can hire them to be full time. If not, it is alot easier to dismiss a temp than a full time employee. Also from a cost perspective, you will be able to decide if it is financially beneficial to actually have a secretary working for you. You can also decide whether you can justify keeping that person full time.

gHiros
01-28-2014, 12:27 AM
I agree with those members who felt that hiring a temp for the secretary position is the way to go. However, I believe it should only be for the short-term if you are looking at cost. One good advantage of hiring a temp is that you can evaluate the performance of the individual with a "no-strings-attached" mentality. That is, it you feel that it's not working out, you call the temp agency and let them do the "dirty work". If your temp is doing a great job and you feel that he/she is a good fit for your company, then you have the potential to hire the individual long term.