PDA

View Full Version : HELP - What Type of Business Goes Well Next To A Busy Deli?

John71
05-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Dear All,

I recently came across an empty retail space located right next to a busy deli. The deli is located on one corner and there's an 24 hour laundromat located on the other corner.
Heavy car traffic, average foot traffic, free parking in rear, located near a big hospital, huge residental population.

The space is approx. 900 sqare feet with full basement (13x67).

The rent and lease arrangement is excellent, therefore I don't want to let this opportunity go.

Also... since this retail space is located near a major hospital, I believe a neighborhood pharmacy will thrive here, but the overhead is just way too much. The pharmacist(s) salaries for being open 6 days a week is around $125,000 - $150,000 annually.

Therefore, what type of business do you think could flourish here?

I thank you in advance for your valued suggestions and opinions.

esearing
05-16-2006, 03:23 PM
An ice cream shop perhaps. Franchised or Your own brand. Desert after the sandwiches.

A bagel and/or donut place. The deli is busy at lunch and will extend your morning hours productivity. Serve great coffee!

A news stand/ used book store? Something to read while they eat.

broadwaylady57
02-25-2014, 11:13 AM
I think esearing has some nice suggestions. I would also look to see what type of deli it is and research it. There are some delis in my town that are basically "grab and go" whereas others encourage more lounging. You also want to see the customers; if it looks like a quick stop for high-powered executives, it may be good to sell higher priced items.

tspires2
02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Possibly a thrift store of some sort! Everyone loves to shop after a lunch outing if that is the type of deli it is. Also with the laundry mat close by they can shop around while the clothes are washing or drying! Depending on the type of customers you receive will make the difference on the type and price of your merchandise!

I do love the Ice Cream / Coffee Shop with a Book Store and maybe even a magazine or two! The only thing that would worry me about this is the online presence of books and magazines!

Errebey
03-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Ask the customers of the stores beside the one you want to start what they would like to see here. If you manage to find their need and fulfill it you have your idea and already some customers.

DennisChang
03-17-2014, 06:52 AM
I guess an icecream or dessert shop would be nice.

angelicagapit
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
An ice cream shop perhaps. Franchised or Your own brand. Desert after the sandwiches.

A bagel and/or donut place. The deli is busy at lunch and will extend your morning hours productivity. Serve great coffee!

A news stand/ used book store? Something to read while they eat.

Great choices. I'd probably put up a place where people can get snacks. I like the bagel, donut, and ice cream idea, but these are unhealthy choices, and you'll be putting yourself up next to hospitals.

Maybe you can put up a healthy options store, where you can sell on-the-go snacks since people in the medical industry are always working fast-paced and they have a tight schedule. Make it cozy, as well, so people can rest there during their break times.

crimsonghost747
03-19-2014, 04:21 AM
I'd concentrate more on the fact that the hospital is there. What do people need in a hospital? Entertainment for the patients, and food for the people who work there. That's what comes to my mind first.

With regards to food, it needs to be something fast and something that can also easily be taken with the customer. Most people working in hospitals don't have huge lunch hours so they will really go to something that is easy, fast and good. Ohh and word of mouth travels like a plague (pun intended) inside a hospital, so if you manage to impress even a couple of customers you could see a lot more coming in fast.