PDA

View Full Version : Spouses role in partners sole propietorship

Elkay
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I would greatly appreciate any and all perspectives on my situation. My partner began a business about 10 years ago when we first met. It is structured as a sole proprietorship. My partner deals in sales and he is absolutely wonderful in that regard. He is good, ethical and his clients love him. Problem is, he is not a good businesss or money manager. Evidence of that is in the fact that he is approaching retirement age and has virtually no retirement funds. Not that I have a track record in business as much of my life involved raising kids but I do have some very good valid input of which my spouse will totally disregard. If ever I confront him as to why he won't take any of my advice, the response I get is "my business is none of your business". I am nowhere even close to trying to take control, I just want some input in the business and I feel I have a right to it as a partner. Unfortunately I feel he would sooner leave the relationship than let me have any say. Please, please, please I would so appreciate any and all perspectives on this.

xwolfiex13x
01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I understand. My mother and father are the same way. He deals with our money and basically buys whatever he feels like. We are in constant need of money. When we buy something, it is a horrible thing. How could we? But when he spends some money, of course he needed it. His argument is always that he made the money and he is going to do whatever he wants with it. He is not good at saving either. We have virtually nothing in the savings account. My mom is actually pretty good at dealing with money. She used to save and have backup money before she was with my dad. She can't even get a job because he starts spending more than usual. She has tried to take the reins and make some changes, but he is a very stubborn man. He will not listen to anything. I am sorry I can not offer you advice, but I do feel your pain.

GordonTheComputerGuy
01-27-2014, 04:41 AM
He may be partially correct that his business is his business, but if you are married his income is your income not matter how he makes it.

This sounds like the kinda guy you can't get to listen, so what you do is stop talking about it and show him what you mean. Yes go out and do something on your own. Just start casually and build up to something he can take note of.

You may surprise yourself.

Good Luck to you.

eppie
01-27-2014, 05:59 AM
If ever I confront him as to why he won't take any of my advice, the response I get is "my business is none of your business". I am nowhere even close to trying to take control, I just want some input in the business and I feel I have a right to it as a partner. Unfortunately I feel he would sooner leave the relationship than let me have any say.

:( I definitely can relate to this. Not only from my husband but from my children as well.

I once asked my children how do they feel when I repeatedly remind them of their household duties. Do they still "hear" me? Their answer "no mom, all we hear is blah, blah, blah". I was not surprised at all as I was also like them when I was young. So I figured that most likely my husband reacts/feels the same way.

Since there's no point for me to argue my case anymore, I seek help from other people, people that are not only close to my husband/children, but people that they consider a "higher authority" and whose opinion they highly regard. In short, people that my husband/children will actually "listen" to. (But of course, I always makes it a point not to let them know about it.)

Maybe you should give it a try too. Good luck and hope everything will turn out for the best. :)

lifeliveson
02-02-2014, 08:46 AM
My husband had a bad habit of doing into business money once in a while for stupid stuff... Like if he owed a friend 10 bucks... Causes a lot of strain with us..