PDA

View Full Version : too many ideas-suggestions and advice please

bizchic
06-14-2006, 03:32 PM
hiya,
first time on this site. :idea: I have a number of ideas for a business but I want to narrow down to only one (the most viable one) so I can develop it into a business. Your thoughts, suggestions and advice will much appreciated.

1 :idea: . My first idea is a mail order business for women's formal wear i.e. business suits, smart Sunday suits and also smart casual wear. In addition, office/working shoes, bags and jewellery will be included.

2 :idea: . A travel shop which speacilizes in items such as travel adapters, wallets, travel/grooming sets for men and women, miniturized accessories for easier packing for example mini-hair dryers, irons, foldable hangers e.t.c Basically, anything that makes travelling lighter.

3 :idea: .A gift catalogue form which customers can choose what gift they want to send and can specify when they want to send it and to whom and it will be gift wrapped by us ans sent off according to the customer's instructions. Greetings cards are also included.

4 :idea: . A website delivery service. With a selection from menus of established fast food places like McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Burger King as well as restaurants Chinese, Thai e.t.c. Drinks will also be deliverable with orders and also additional snacks like ice cream and cookies e.t.c.( I call this one JiffyBites)

5 :idea: .A PA company that caters to busy ordinary people and offers a service to run day-to-day mundane errands from feeding the pet and looking after the garden while owners are away to doing shopping and pickiing up precribtions. Each PA in the company would be assigned a a group of clients so that clients can build rapport with the PA.

6 :idea: . A web-based learning assistant for university students. Students can submit questions and the answers will be in essay form. Pay per essay.

7 :idea: .A business to do background checks on cosmetic clinics and surgeons- failures successes, experience, testimonials, aftercare given. Service availbale for both men and women.

8 :idea:.(Last one finally!!) A web boutique with apperal designed by celebrities ( everyone has a clothes line these days) providing an assortment of clothes for men, ladies and children in different styles and all designed by a celebrity.

Again any thoughts and constructive criticism (on each point) are welcome.
Thank you very much.

bizchic.

rhouse24
02-05-2014, 11:25 PM
If you want to run all of these businesses or any of them for that matter you might want to look into a company that can provide extensions for your phone, so that each call for a different business would have an extension. You can look into grasshopper for those needs.

cpefley
02-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Personally I think that the customer acquisition cost for a mail order business would be a little steep, and it would take forever to get your investment back. I really like the delivery service, because you can take businesses that are already established and just take a share of profits from the delivery service. Not sure if I could afford a PA, but I could really use one. It might be hard to market it to regular people who might not have the money to afford one, but it sounds interesting. I like the idea though. I would definitely look into something like that.

dnotsominor
02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
#5 is a business I have considered starting myself. I think the key to making it profitable is to narrow the target market. Who needs this service? Who can afford it? I don't think the best answer is small/medium business.. I think it is senior citizens. People in their golden years are often retired, have plenty of funds and would be considerably more likely to need a service like this. Someone to run errands for them, like grocery shopping, pharmacy pickups, paying their bills, etc. It would also make it significantly easier AND cheaper to advertise. Marketing would be super easy because after the initial launch, the remainder of the growth could rely heavily on referrals and with the baby boomers in full stride, the sky is the limit. I know this may be a little different than your original plan, but I hope its helpful!

Lodismel
02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I think that you should look for the one you are most passionate about. That is what is most important. If you have something that you've always wanted to do then do it. Don't worry as much about the financial side of it. That isn't to say that you should be completely ignorant about it either. Find the one that really sticks for you. The fact is that people recognize when you put really care and work into something. That means that if you don't care about what you are doing chances are people will know. You have to find that balance.

caveman
02-09-2014, 02:55 AM
I like number 6. I'm a still in college and I know for a fact that my friends and myself included would be very interested. Sometimes, we just don't have enough time especially when you are a double major and have extra curricular activities plus a side job. I think it could be a hit.

owesem75
02-11-2014, 03:21 PM
I think all that you have listed are doable. But to effectively make it all happen, look at your resources first and find out which of those can be set up and run easily. Once you get it running smoothly and income has started to come in.. you can then start the next one which will be supported by the income you gathered from the first venture that you run. This way, when your business support each other you can find success.

oregano
02-15-2014, 06:46 AM
These are all potentially viable businesses, and most of them could (and these days should) be web-based. No. 3 could be more problematic and would require that you have a physical location with warehousing and wrapping facilities, plus the staff to perform these tasks, so you might want to put that one on the back burner. I would probably not focus on no. 4 (restaurant delivery) either as so many restaurants and fast food places already deliver and the margins could be rather tight.

The other 6 could be quite lucrative and not too hard to set up, however. The retail ones would require that you pick a nice selection of existing vendors on the web, sign up as an affiliate (or contact them for a special deal if they don't already have a program) and feature them on a targeted website you set up for this purpose. For the other 3 you would need a stable of freelance workers who can step in whenever needed, and would work for a set fee per task or a % of fees.

Best of luck with which ever options you choose - and remember to get each one up and running smoothly before moving on to the next business.

fredkawig
02-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Any would do. It matters when you are interested in your business as it would be the key, determinant factor for the success of your business. You should do whatever suits you and interests you the most.

broadwaylady57
02-25-2014, 11:12 AM
What is your experiences and talents? There seems to be a range of businesses here-from digital web-assistants to more traditional retail. I would also say to really consider location. Where I live, a web learning assistant would be great as the students have disposable income, but a travel shop would most likely fail in the center of town. Also, I think the web boutique idea has a large initial startup cost to consider, unless you are personally friends with celebrities or tastemakers.

tspires2
02-25-2014, 11:49 AM
I LOVE #4 I don't know how good you could do in the beginning as it is so unusual however that is what will take you to the next level with the business! I can't tell you how many times I or someone I know has said I wish such and such delivered! I am so sick of Pizza because they are the only one that delivers!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea!!! Good Luck to you!

darelle4
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
It is good to have several business ideas but you need to tackle at least one business and be focus on it and then go on to complete the others. You should write donw these business ideas and develop them and then plan them out strategically and begin to work on each individually.

mikelouis
04-02-2014, 11:29 PM
It is all about finding what you are good in and capitalize on it, am sure you are not good in all the ones that you have mentioned. You simply need to find that thing that is working for you and decide to stick on it.

wandering wildman
04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I am with TSPIRES. #4 seems like your best idea. I get so sick of pizza being the only choice for delivery. I can't be the only one:)

LibertyDenied
04-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Any import/export business has to deal with tariffs and product quality. Errors in either of those tow areas could not only end your business, but you could be sued.
In your shoes, I'd look at one of the ideas that does not involve stock.

#5 Feels the most viable. I have heard of several concierge services (http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/37930), but I do not know how profitable they have been.

Just make sure to do your research. Running errands for busy people means you'll need a reliable care with the appropriate insurance for its being used as a business vehicle.

MahaKarthi
03-16-2015, 04:15 AM
You nailed it when you said too many ideas! First of all, which of the above will you be able finance without a glitch and for which ones do you have the required expertise and support? Will these two questions help you eliminate at least one or two options off the board? Also, what is your intent with your business? Do you wish to grow big and manage it yourself or do you wish to simply have success for a few years and let another brand take over the reins from you - buyout I mean? Having asked all this, I do admire you for your creativity. Good Luck! Do answer so that we can help you narrow down the business that is most viable.

matta1
09-17-2015, 05:31 AM
You've got a lot of ideas, that's a good starting point but now you need to do your research and which is most financially viable/which will get you the most profit/which will be a good service that you can deliver/where your expertise are/longevity of each business.

sbusinesscoach
10-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Your ideas are really good, but what can work in your local area can be tell by a professional, so in my view discuss with a local business coach and take an idea. That will be best option.

Malik Suleman
12-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Think about one idea and then concentrate on that one.

Kevin@sits
01-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Hi bizchic,
I see that this post was done in 2006.
Were and answers given satisfactory to you or are you still looking for advice?

The/Studio
02-07-2016, 06:53 AM
Bizchic,

Please message me as we're looking for beta testers of a TeeSpring-esque set-up that could handle many of these opportunities you've thought up here. I'm with The/Studio, a firm that's offering crowdfunded (or purchased) custom clothing via our new platform "Democracy," going beta tomorrow. We manufacture everything from t-shirts to bow ties baseball caps, with over a hundred products to come this year including handbags, dress shirts and more. We offer professional-level customization, including custom hemtags, labels, patches, et cetera - exactly what the big clothiers get to do with their factories, and what some of our customers already do. Get in touch with me via a PM and we'll welcome you aboard the beta - free as it will always be, of course.

Best,
Matthew Eley
The/Studio

Kevin@sits
03-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Hi bizchic, you sound like me when i was starting out.
You haven't mention why or what you personally like about these ideas?
It really doesn't matter which one you pursue at this time.
What matters is what would excel in, enjoy doing and the market demand - the sweet spot

Have you tested each niche - off line and online to know the demand?
What do you personally like doing-hobby?
What are you naturally very good at doing - talent?
What inspires you or makes you tick?
Are you multi-talented or multi-gifted?
Answers to these questions will help to determine which idea you should pursue first.
This will also help you to know what the customers will ask for next.

This way there will be a natural progression with no stress.
You will be the right person, with the right product, providing the right solution, for the right market (niche).
How will you like to proceed?

emilygilbert
03-12-2018, 06:48 AM
Hi bizchic,
A great list of business. I personally prefer #6, I think web-based learning assistant business is great for students to solve their queries.
Thanks!!