PDA

View Full Version : Short Travel Pay

engboy
06-15-2006, 04:27 PM
What are your policies on paying employees doing simply day to day tasks out of the office?

Things like driving short distances to the post office on a daily basis. Do you allow them to stay on the clock or offer them mileage or nothing at all?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

JanetB
06-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Generally if the employee is paid by the hour and is running errands for their employer they must be paid for the time traveling. Usually the only exception is if they are on their way from home to the site or leave the site to go home. Otherwise they are on the clock. You should be paying mileage also.
JanetB

hillaryNC
01-22-2014, 02:42 PM
We were always kept on the clock! My boss never paid me money for gas or anything, but she usually asked if anyone wanted to go. I volunteered every time because I loved being able to leave and get paid for it! So you should definitely keep them on the clock, and if it can offer the job to all or some of your employees, so you don't have to give them gas money! :)

jfab
01-23-2014, 12:02 AM
If I have an employee who would I assign tasks that are outside the office, I would definitely include that on the clock. Because technically, they're still using the time to work even if they are running errands. It's for the job anyway so it's included on their pay.

LindaKay
01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Yes, she should definitely be on the clock during that time. I would also consider offering a few bucks for gas. I don't know how lax your workplace is, but you might just offer $5 in cash or something when the trips require quite a bit of driving. That's what my employer used to do for me; sometimes, he wouldn't offer me anything if it was right down the road or if he had just given me gas money, but he would usually give me $5 or $10 every few times.

pandandesign
01-23-2014, 12:50 AM
It depends on your work policy. I think if the employee is getting paid hourly and you ask them to run the errands for you or deliver some items for you or drop off something, then you should pay at least the mileage if they use their own car. However, if they're using the company's car, then you would just cover the gas. Since your employees are getting hourly paid, I don't see the reason they are getting additional paid because you ask them to run errands or deliver stuff to someone or companies. I mean, there should be other people who cover their work right?

oregano
01-23-2014, 03:07 AM
I agree with the other posters who say that you should keep the person who is running errands on the clock since it's a legitimate business-related task. You should definitely offer mileage as well, using whatever standard calculation that applies in your country or region. Remember that mileage covers the cost of a) gasoline and b) maintenance, repairs, other consumables such as motor oil, general wear and tear, and depreciation of value for the employee's vehicle. The actual amount for each trip may be small, but there is still no reason to expect employees who use their own vehicles for company purposes to pay for these things themselves.

Of course it's nice to offer something extra, such as a few dollars in cash, a sandwich for lunch or whatever, but there's no actual need to do so. Also, unless the nature of the errand requires that a specific person perform it, you should consider giving everyone in the workplace the chance to go, or you could assign the task on a rotating basis. Some people will jump at the opportunity to get out for a short drive, while others will see it as a drag and politely decline.

crimsonghost747
01-23-2014, 03:23 AM
I've got pretty much the same policy as the others. Obviously he/she should be on the clock since they are working! You sent them there, so it's a part of their job.

I would, however, not give any additional bonuses such as mileage, money for gas etc. Unless it's the same person all the time, then you should obviously give something because in the end there will be some noticeable costs if she does this for example once a week. I'd ask for volunteers and let them go, on the clock, without any extra benefits. If it's just one person who goes, then paying mileage or alternatively offering a big Christmas bonus would be good solutions.

delusional
01-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Running errands for work should be paid for. Both in time and in travel expenses. If an employee is doing errands for him/herself during work, I wouldn't allow this. I pay my employees by the hour and I don't want them wasting an hour running to the store. If they need to go to the store, they should go during their break at noon.

jordan wilkins
01-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I would definitley keep my employees on the clock so that they can still be paid. Maybe i'm too nice idk lol

ap4aaron
01-28-2014, 09:53 PM
I generally only pay when they clock in and out. They have to clock in when they get their, and clock out when they leave. I don't think this includes travel.

RosalindaSmith
05-14-2020, 05:12 PM
It is not a secret, that many people are looking for the place not only to earn money, but to spend them getting the highest satisfaction. So that is the reason why such people are looking for the reliable opportunities provided by high quality companies. For instance, when I wanted to get more information (https://www.russiadiscovery.com/tours/kaleidoscope-of-Kamchatka/) about traveling to Russia, I asked professionals to assist me. And it was great to have such a quality approach towards this work.

Brownii
09-18-2020, 12:45 AM
Guys, what's your favourite way of travelling? I prefer camping. This is my favourite activity and it's quite difficult for me to say why it's so. Many factors make this activity my favourite. Starting from choosing tents for camping in cold weather (https://hot-tent.com/collections/tents) and ending with making a fire. All the processes of camping are so enjoyable for me.