PDA

View Full Version : Coffee & Computers? Under one roof.

coffee_kid
06-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Who thinks a place like this could succeed?

As far as I know, I could make a handsome amount of money, selling coffee and computers in the same location.

The idea is that people will come in wanting to buy a computer or a related accessory. Because computers are relatively expensive and people don't keep that kind of cash on them or would spend that kind of money without giving in to a little bit of thought, I figure that if I can't sell them a computer or accessory, I can at least make 1.50 from their latté while they chill and use the internet.

If they are part of the usual crowd that comes in to use the internet, maybe I can sell the customer a USB memory stick or an MP3 player.

I could even retail cellphones.

The point is not that this is a new idea. In fact, it is an established recipe, however I have yet to find a single coffee shop that has computers or accessories for sale, although it is easy to find an internet terminal at a coffee shop.

Any thoughts on the idea would be appreciated.

her27
02-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I think something to keep in mind when contemplating any type of food service endeavor is government regulations. This could pose certain issues with this kind of business since it wouldn't be just coffee that you're selling. I know the FDA is highly strict though, not unlike a persons state health department; so for that reason I would want to be absolutely certain that I have covered all of my bases before proceeding in this type of a business.

caveman
02-09-2014, 02:28 AM
I love your idea and I think it would be a hit. But like her27 mentioned, the FDA is extremely strict and you should do a little bit more research on it. You could also sell sport equipments if the electronics doesn't work out. I'm just wondering, wouldn't you have to invest quite a bit for electronics though?

Qraqq
02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Go for it. Looks good, but just try and do some research as to what exact type of beverage people would like when waiting for a computer. Who knows, maybe some psychologist has done a study on that somewhere on the internetz.

Cd2 Solutions
02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
i think this is a fantastic idea. some people can spend a long time looking at computers (im one of them), and a lot of them might want a coffee. to only issue i can see is spilled coffee ;)

broadwaylady57
02-25-2014, 11:07 AM
I think this is a great idea but you may want to pivot it a bit. Instead of trying to open a new business, have you thought about validating your idea by talking to a bigbox chain? Mention your idea to BestBuy or a similar store, and see if they would be willing to let you sell coffee alongside. If it works, you have market validation for a relatively low fee. If not, you know that really quickly!

tspires2
02-25-2014, 12:10 PM
I like the idea however keep in mind with more than just a little coffee there may need to be food permits or such.

As far as the service issue goes you could have an area set up to fax, surf and pretty much anything needed. We live in a rural area and this place would be perfect for those who don't want to drive 30 minutes to town and there are a lot of them! We would pay dearly for a fax or even a copy of something we need! Just a thought! Good Luck!

crimsonghost747
02-26-2014, 06:24 AM
A full blown mix of the two would probably not work... either people want coffee or they want a computer. They won't pop into a computer shop for a cup of coffee, and they won't pop into a coffee shop for a new pc.

Having coffee available in your computer store could work as long as the place really remains a computer store and the coffee is more along the lines of welcoming customers rather than a business idea. By all means offer coffee in the exchange of a small fee, but don't try to completely mix the two businesses.

mikelouis
02-26-2014, 07:26 AM
I have never seen someone mixing Coffee and computers before. Well this is a new one. Just make sure you have a good market for your products before you decide to launch them.

LindaKay
02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
LOL! I don't really think that's a bad idea at all. You would just have to play it right.

alec
02-26-2014, 03:44 PM
This is the first time I hear about something like this! The business of selling one thing but also pushing something else on the side is not new, but this combination is, for me at least. First of all, like many already said in this thread, check the permits needed. Computers need one permit, coffee another. Depending on your country grabbing a permit for coffee can prove too expensive and so, it's not worth it. Secondly, make sure your business is easily identifiable: you need to sell either coffee or computers (focus on just one).

I also imagine that the initial investment is quite big: computers, coffee, internet and the space to set it all up properly.

AlecD
02-27-2014, 06:36 PM
That idea is gold. I really like it. Take a dive, you never know what could happen.

KNH
02-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Good idea but I don't know if people will go for it just because of the coffee. I think the main thing that would matter is the pricing of your computers. The lower the prices, the more company you'll get.

angelicagapit
03-03-2014, 03:06 AM
Both don't really compliment each other. However, if you were going to make a business dealing with both computers and coffee, you could create an internet cafe. In my country, there are internet shops where you could stop by and use the internet. You will just pay by the minute. What would be a great compliment to this internet cafe is selling coffee and pastries on the side. While people are on the internet, playing games, checking their emails, doing a simple online task, they could be eating and drinking. It's quite risky due to possible spills and crumbs stuck in the keyboard, but you could just charge them for any equipment damaged.

This is just my suggestion. Good luck!

lizzief79
03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Internet cafes are popular in UK cities. People get to work or surf the web while out and about enjoying a coffee. You might get away with selling USB sticks to them too. However, I am doubtful about actually selling computers. I have never been out for a coffee and thought, 'Oh, I'll buy a computer while I am here!' I'm more likely to buy a cake to take home. Good luck with this though.

tinyfang
03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Wow, look at the date of that first post with the next post! It's more than six years apart!

Anyway, we already have something like that here in this city. They mixed a mini cafe with a computer store that sells more than just computers. It's a pretty neat idea. There are signs everywhere that says "Do not bring drinks beyond this line".

HeinrichM
03-25-2014, 05:01 AM
Very good business idea! Currently you have a lot of Internet Cafe models around but there are not many that expand on this model. If you can provide a one-stop-shop for customers looking at buying computers or cell phones with a coffee shop added to the mix it should work. Customers will be able to test various models while they have a cup of coffee and something small to eat. Sounds to me like a great value added business concept.

bingaguilar
03-25-2014, 06:13 AM
i think this is a fantastic idea. some people can spend a long time looking at computers (im one of them), and a lot of them might want a coffee. to only issue i can see is spilled coffee ;)

Yes, I think this is a great idea. People do spend a lot of time searching for computers that would really fit their lifestyle, immediate need or budget. As for spilled coffee, maybe you can use spill-proof containers or mugs which they can also buy if they want to. Now that could be another added revenue to your store ;)

fredkawig
03-25-2014, 11:52 PM
It's good as long as they allow you to sell coffee inside the computer store, I don't know if you are required to have 2 business permits for this but you should definitely check your local legislations and see if it's easy enough.

vision2020
02-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Here's something that may work for you, especially if you are new to internet marketing like I am.
In this free webinar a new marketer that made a huge commission shows you how to use social media and she even offers to do the work for you to promote and sale their product giving you the commission.
Let me know what you think http://j.mp/ExclusiveTrainingFromWes

Verton
02-19-2020, 01:58 PM
It's good as long as they allow you to sell coffee inside the computer store, I don't know if you are required to have 2 business permits for this but you should definitely check your local legislations and see if it's easy enough.

Nicely said! :cool: