PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Website idea

ChrisVivatorStudios
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone. I hope I've posted this in the correct section!

My company (a limited company which I wholly own) is a design and IT solutions company. Most of our contracts come in the form of web design or corporate identity development. We're probably never going to become a franchise, BUT I have had an idea and I want to see what people think of it.

I was at a franchise exhibition a few weeks ago and a woman from printing.com told me that they do not allow franchise members to have their own websites for a number of different reasons. The main one is that most franchises who DO allow members to have their own sites suffer from:

a) Distortion of identity. Many of the members construct websites using things like Geocities etc and misuse the franchise's corporate identity (stretching it etc).
b) This leads of to damage of reputation, along with misinformation being posted such as out of date prices.
c) Due to the scatter-gun approach of member's web designs, there are many different designs, layouts, URL formats etc.

So most franchies just ban their members from having their own individual websites. This seems to be the only solution to their problem, but from what I've seen, it stifles people's plans when they join a franchise, and I've heard of people not subscribing to a franchise because of website and other online restrictions.

My idea, thus, is to approach franchises (most likely startup ones) with the proposal that they CAN allow members to have their own sites - exclusively designed by us only - and we will only churn out designs based on our agreement with the franchise. This way, franchise members can have (more or less) unique designs, and the franchise can maintain it's identity without fear of it being distorted or skewed by members who decide to make their own websites.

Do people think this is a workable idea? Let me know!

Cratima
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
This is a tricky question.

If your standards quality are high, you can still do some franchising of the web sites. It requires a lot of work though. First of all, you need to have a standards' manual. Then you might think of working with a big web design company, that will help your franchises have a similar lay-out. Another idea is to personally supervise the creation of the web sites. As you see, it's a lot of work to be done.

The opposite of all this is to have your franchises send you the materials for the web site and hire a web site company to do the work for you. You will certainly lose some personal modifications, though.

The tricky part is deciding what solution is best for you. I have tried to highlight some pros and cons of each solution. It's up to you now.

My personal idea of running a business like this would be: create a small standards manual - include a logo, name company, link to the main site. That's it. For the rest of it - do it the way you like it. I would actually hire some web design companies to create different web sites, not just a replica of the main web site.

MahaKarthi
09-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Franchise business is prevalent in many industries but it is better to approach a credible one so as to bring good profits to business than having to lose the initial investment.

johndill419
08-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Franchise business is prevalent in many industries and its very good for first bussines