PDA

View Full Version : Small town advertising

Stu
06-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I am currently looking at ways to advertise my business in a small town. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about marketing in small communities?

Ad-vice_man
06-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I am currently looking at ways to advertise my business in a small town. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about marketing in small communities?

I'm full of good ideas. But before I give them I'm going to need some more details.

What kind of business
how small a small town?

and who exactly would your future customer be?

Stu
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Its for a small Credit Union in a town of about 5000 people. The big banks have moved out to a bigger town about 20 minutes away. I want to get the people who were members of the big banks to transfer to us now. Also I want to get young students to sign up with us too.

Thanks

Ad-vice_man
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
ok i'm getting a better picture now.

I have some more ?'s and if you'd like you can e-mail me your anwers if you don't want to post them here

1) What town are you in? State?

2) how much funding do you have for this initiative

3) What is it that your credit union offers to these folks that the other bank doesn't besides the obvious geographic advantage? Do you have more favorable interest rates?

out of 5000 people in this town what percentage are currently doing business with your CU, what percentage would be be breaking even for the dollars you invest, and what would be a reasonable benchmark in the next month, qtr, 6month and year

jrobconsult
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Here are a couple of suggestions. You might want to place an ad in the local church bulletins. Make up flyers and see if you can leave them at some local businesses.

Ad-vice_man
06-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Don't discount the effectiveness of a prominently displayed and well worded Banner Hanging on your building (assuming you have road frontage of course)

Something like

"XYZ (national) Bank Customers! PDQ Credit union offers A. B. and C... without the drive to "other town"

Again, more specifics would be lovely

joelblackbourne
07-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I love it when small credit unions step into towns where banks have deserted them. You are not in Australia are you? I suggest you start with the local free papers if they are around. Here are some ideas if you are cash strapped.

1. Feed them stories or news articles about people who now have to travel for hours just to bank their cheques.
2. Run a grassroots campaign, demanding that greedy banks support rural towns. Find someone with a voice who tells the local papers that he's taking his money elsewhere... to the local credit union, who is standing by the towns-folk.
3. Use referal campaigns. Ask customers to send postcards to friends, reminding them that the money "stays in the town" when they bank locally.

hillaryNC
01-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Use the internet!! Even though it's a small town, i'm sure most of the people are on the internet!!
Also, pass out flyers, do you have a community channel? If so i'm sure it's not that expensive to put a notice on that!!
Whether it's a big community or a small community, you will be using the same sort of advertising!

LindaKay
01-23-2014, 12:59 AM
I definitely think that flyers and business cards are a good idea. You can pass them out to people that you know, or you can get permission from store owners to put them under windshield wipers or to post them somewhere inside the store.

The Internet is also useful. Social media works wonders. Try joining Facebook groups for your town for advertising purposes.

mikka254
01-23-2014, 01:24 AM
When it comes to small communities, the people want to be associated with something they feel a part of. Make them feel like it's part of their home especially with the words you use in your billboard or flyers, this creates a sense of loyalty and the returns are usually great. When a community feels like a company or business is there just for them, why would they need to search the internet for a competitor?

delusional
01-23-2014, 02:18 AM
When it comes to small communities, the people want to be associated with something they feel a part of. Make them feel like it's part of their home especially with the words you use in your billboard or flyers, this creates a sense of loyalty and the returns are usually great. When a community feels like a company or business is there just for them, why would they need to search the internet for a competitor?

This is a very nice idea. People really do like the local factor. They're proud of where they are from so play that out in your advantage. So I would advise to do something around this. The internet isn't local enough for this kind of thing. Local press also is a good idea as a lot of people will look for promotions in local press.

talenco11
01-29-2014, 07:07 AM
To marketing your business, you can promote or advertise your business through personalized promotional items. Customized promotional items are the best way to promote your business locally.

nowicki2013
01-29-2014, 10:07 AM
There are a couple different ways you can do this. You can go to all the colleges in your community and pass out flyers. You can also go to the libraries in the colleges and the libraries in your city and just place your flyers next to all the computers. I'm not sure you're supposed to do this but we used to when I was younger, we used to put flyers on peoples' cars, right under their windshield wipers. It's a great way to get your name out there, just be careful with the last method!

swagger
01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Billboards? Advertise on local TV stations? Since the population is small and you have little competition, start a referral system, where one customer refers are friend/family member, they each get something like $100 in their bank account?

donaldplozha
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I live in a city that has around 150,000 inhabitants and it cannot be called a small city but compared to the capital city, it is small. One important tip (personal experience): make sure you let your family and your friends know about your new business. Another important tip: make sure you create a Facebook fanpage for your business and keep it updated with offers and interesting posts. Most of the people have a Facebook account nowadays so it's very useful. Another technical small tip: set yourself as the owner of your fanpage in your Facebook profile, it increases the chances for your fanpage to be seen. Good luck :)

cpefley
01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
How small is the town, and what is your business? Is it small enough that you can go to different businesses, introduce yourself, and leave information with them? It really depends on what you are selling. Is it a produce or a service? Word of mouth goes a long way in a small town. Maybe there is a newsletter or a mailer than you could advertise in with a coupon?

bauss
01-30-2014, 12:20 AM
Since your town is really small, you'll have very limited potential for your business. I personally would start my business elsewhere, but if your mind is stuck on having a business in the town, then you should try going door to door, and handing out pamphlets/brochures in peoples mailboxes. You can also spread the word with word of mouth, and tell others about your business. You'll need your friends to help your business grow.

JohnFMarketing
02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
5000 people? Hell, just put an announcement in the local paper, put a big sign in front of your office, maybe some flyers. Sending a mailing to everyone in town could work, if you have the budget for it.

CSomm
02-16-2014, 12:38 PM
You need to promote yourself in church bulletins and High School advertising campaigns. Contact your high school and find out what kind of sponsorship opportunities they have available. In this way, you are putting your name in front of all the area parents and showing them that you care about the community and their kids. You will create a strong bond with them, because everyone is looking for a way to differentiate your service from others in the area, and you've just given them a great reason to pick YOU. Good Luck!

DomDom
02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
5000 people? Hell, just put an announcement in the local paper, put a big sign in front of your office, maybe some flyers. Sending a mailing to everyone in town could work, if you have the budget for it.

Since the town is so small I think you should really just use word of mouth. Tell everyone to tell everyone and basically everybody will know. A few posters and yo uare good to go!

aaliya
02-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Good discussion ... I am owning a small business in my village and i want some suggestions how to advertise it and how to get employees for my business

fredkawig
02-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Try posting fliers and posters in your locality. Utilize local newspapers, radio and television ads. Also make use of social media networking. If you have done all of those, you are good to go.

Millermarketingroup
02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
locally driven SEO and mobile marketing.

optimizing your site for mobile device search is paramount; over 45% of local consumers in major cities as well as rural areas use mobile devices to find the products and/or services they are in search of....

Jake

adi004
02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Social media would be very helpful and mobile marketing too, people rely on their phone most of the time so you might want to have website that are desktop and mobile compatible.

DonnaIReilly
02-18-2014, 04:12 AM
I used to live in a small town and I always found handing out flyers and business cards to people always worked best for me. Ask small shops and the local library if you can put a flyer up in their window. My library has a notice board just for small businesses. You might want to ask other businesses how they advertise because some towns use certain sites, like here in Ireland most people use DoneDeal.ie to advertise.

adi004
02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Flyers and business cards would be a good idea too especially if you're living in a small town, but I still think it would be better if you utilize all the tools you can think to market your business..Besides, you wouldn't want to limit your target customers just within your town so try to reach out to many people as you can, use the social media because people are into it, mobile websites would be ideal too, you can have one for free at mobidart.com if your business is in the United States.

M.K
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Social media is always a good bet. I'm on board with the business card idea. Word of mouth is big in this case so it's important to present yourself in a personable and professional manner. Engaging people one-on-one will go a long way in developing a strong reputation.

CG7262
02-21-2014, 01:59 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mobile marketing in a small town. What are some good ad agencies? Also are most mobile advertising services able to cater to specific locations? Ive been doing the whole facebook page thing, flyers but nothing too major. Is mobile advertising ever worth it for small businessess?

angelicagapit
02-21-2014, 02:14 AM
There are good and bad things about advertising in a small town. The good thing is that word goes around and your business can be discovered quickly.

The bad thing is that you have a very small market if you're business is in that small town. Another bad thing is that if you have competitors, that small market of yours will either go to your store or your competitors. So you need to be able to grab a larger market share in order to compete competitively.

In order to advertise in a small town, I suggest you put up tarps along main roads.

adi004
02-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mobile marketing in a small town. What are some good ad agencies? Also are most mobile advertising services able to cater to specific locations? Ive been doing the whole facebook page thing, flyers but nothing too major. Is mobile advertising ever worth it for small businessess?

Mobile advertising is definitely worth it for small businesses, people use their phones most of the time! You should definitely consider mobile advertising to reach out to more people if you want your business to be known..as what I've mentioned yesterday you can have a free mobile and desktop compatible website at mobidart.com..they already helped thousands of small businesses across the united states, it's worth the try especially if it will not cost you anything..

CG7262
02-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks adi004, Ill go check that website out. Hopefully its available outside the US. I just recently got a tarp that we placed along our street and business seems to have improved. I think Ill have to wait til the end of the month to see results though.

Gmac9100
02-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Marketing in a small town should be easy. Simple fliers would work extremely well in a small town. You could post them up around town, or give them to restaurant owners, and ask them to hand them out when people buy food. A local radio ads would be a good option too. Thing spread fast in small towns. Does your town have a community meeting at Town Hall? Or local sports events? You can hand out fliers there also. Marketing in a small town is easy. All you need to do is interact with the people.

mameeker@cuse
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
The number one way would be to fo out and do events your community cares about from sports to carnivals. Additionally the newspaper never hurts! Any advertising is better than no advertising.

glendacurtiss1
02-23-2014, 02:48 AM
Hey how can i increase my business by marketing skills.....??

Lithium
02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
It seems that you need to put a few ads on the poles. It's very effective and cheap. If that doesn't work, try to use local sites or even Facebook.

foduu1
02-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Listed below are several strategies. You should place a good advertising inside local church obituary programs. Make up flyers and discover if you're able to get away from these from a number of local corporations.

Lithium
02-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Indeed, making up flyers is a very good strategy. It's been used since the Medieval Era.

campbelljof
05-09-2014, 05:02 AM
In small town or city the best way to advertise is through newspaper. The newspaper ad design should be attractive so as to force reader to customers.

foduu1
05-13-2014, 12:37 AM
Here i will discuss several recommendations. You should location a great ad inside the nearby church press releases. Constitute flyers and see if you possibly could abandon them at some nearby corporations.

Chris_Tax
05-29-2014, 10:03 PM
I do income taxes for a town of 15K. I do SEO and Facebook marketing besides personnel marketing. I dominate SEO with my city city name in it. I have a Facebook Business Page where I share relevant content to locals mainly in local groups The number of people I contact is increasing weekly. Remember people on Facebook are there to play Marketing takes countless hours.

diamondjinsulation
06-02-2014, 03:29 PM
A town of 5,000 is very small and you should be able to get max exposure easily. What you really want to do in a town like that is to create yourself a persona. You want to be part of the community not just a supplier to it. Get involved in the Chamber. Sponsor events....4th of July Fireworks, etc. Have a car in the town parade. In other words be very visible and do it in a positive image way. To get off the ground target reaching the population with a positive message one or two times per month. To do that you will have to do more than 1 or 2 since you will only reach a segment of the pop with each activity. As you establish yourself you can slow it down.

Casey
Diamond J Insulation
www.diamondjinsulation.com

john22
06-17-2014, 07:19 AM
In a small town you can get phone numbers,email addresses of the town from telecom services and send them messages regarding your sales. You can also send sms messages through bulk sms company. Local search engines and advertisement through Cable tv, banners, newspapers etc may help you for the purpose.

8020Profits
06-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Use Direct mail and the local newspaper to drive people to a landing page on your website where you get them to give you their information so you can put them into your drip campaign. Remember it takes 20-100 "touches" to get people to respond if your marketing message is just average. You can lower it to 7 to 15 touches if you have an effective marketing message. We did some ads for a small local bank in Kansas that increased their customer base and set the local bank apart from the national brands. We can customize the ads to fit your bank as long as you are outside of Kansas.

karenbubblegum
06-28-2018, 05:46 AM
It's probably a bit too late for a reply to the original message, but in small towns cold calls still work pretty well. People are more eager to communicate - so you ..get a fleeting chance of getting them actually organically interested.

vinitha seo
05-05-2020, 07:24 AM
Marketing is not a one-size fits all process small town business marketing ideas differ from marketing ideas that work in a city. In order to be successful, you must cater your marketing toward your target customer audience and reach them appropriately.

vinitha seo
05-11-2020, 05:52 AM
Facebook or AdWords advertising may beneficial to marketing in a small town. With Facebook Advertising, you can build your ads audience based on demographics or a geographic radius. You can run the ad on desktop or on mobile devices.

jayam
05-23-2020, 08:33 AM
Use Local SEO Techniques. ...
Try PPC Advertising. ...
Add Your Business to Online Directories. ...
Get Local Media and Press Coverage. ...
Use Referral Marketing. ...
Give Away Promotional Items. ...
Get Involved With Your Community.

valluri
05-23-2020, 08:49 AM
On average, costs per click (or CPC's) on Bing Ads are 33% lower than on Google Ads. A few more reasons to try adding Bing Ads to your online advertising mix: Bing Ads offers more granular control of some parts of your advertising campaigns.

jayam
06-12-2020, 03:23 AM
Try PPC Advertising. ...

valluri
06-12-2020, 03:37 AM
Online advertising is generally more cost-effective and more effective, period, because you're able to target your advertising budget at a more select group of people, and closely measure how that audience responds to your advertising.

vinitha seo
06-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Try PPC Advertising. ...

Roufa's store
06-12-2020, 04:29 PM
I have a new eStore please check it out: https://gurl.pw/j3e3

TangelThor
06-15-2020, 01:28 AM
Online advertising is generally more cost-effective and more effective, period, because you're able to target your advertising budget at a more select group of people, and closely measure how that audience responds to your advertising.

geardo1
06-15-2020, 06:46 AM
Utilize Local SEO Techniques. ...

Attempt PPC Advertising. ...

Part with Promotional Items. ...

Engage With Your Community.

Nov 2

valluri
06-24-2020, 03:23 AM
Sponsor a Good Cause. ...
Rent a Booth at Local Events. ...
Take Out an Ad in a Local Directory. ...
Place an Article in a Local Magazine. ...
Write a Press Release. ...
Write a Letter to the Editor. ...
Attend a Networking Event. ...
Offer to be a Speaker.

jayam
06-24-2020, 03:27 AM
Set up your free listing with Google. How are new customers finding you? ...
Start blogging. ...
Join a local group. ...
Give back to the community. ...
Run contests. ...
Verify your information on Yelp. ...
Implement a customer loyalty program. ...
Offer discounts.

jayam
08-07-2020, 03:31 AM
Use Word of Mouth as a Marketing Strategy. ...
Sponsor Local Events. ...
Get Local Press Coverage. ...
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

valluri
08-07-2020, 03:41 AM
One of the best ways to promote the town is to create radio and television ads, focusing on the slogan for the town and the points discussed in the marketing plan. Make a tourist map. Another great way to promote the town is to create a detailed map for tourists and place them in local malls, restaurants, and bars.

Geethan
12-09-2020, 11:51 PM
When you are marketing a business in a small town, here are five things you can do to step up your game:
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

mithu
12-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

jayam12
12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Offer to be a Speaker.

temporary-error
12-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Creating and distributing business cards is a good idea. If you're interested in creating them, here's a site to look at the business card sizes: https://temporaryerror.com/business-card-size-and-measurements/

Geethan
12-26-2020, 12:19 AM
When you are marketing a business in a small town, here are five things you can do to step up your game:
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

jayam12
01-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

mithu
01-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Offer to be a Speaker.

valluri
01-04-2021, 09:07 AM
Advertise with local audience targeting.
Create a blog strategy catering to a local audience.
Post locally appealing content to social media.
Get set up with online directories.
Be involved in the community.
Create a loyalty program.
Build an email list.
Use traditional methods.

master007
01-04-2021, 11:52 PM
1. Feed them stories or news articles about people who now have to travel for hours just to bank their cheques.
2. Run a grassroots campaign, demanding that greedy banks support rural towns. Find someone with a voice who tells the local papers that he's taking his money elsewhere... to the local credit union, who is standing by the towns-folk.
3. Use referal campaigns. Ask customers to send postcards to friends, reminding them that the money "stays in the town" when they bank locally.

lucycarter
01-07-2021, 01:01 AM

In any small town, promotional products act as an effective way to advertise your brand or services. You can distribute them as a giveaway to people or as gift item during any trade show or event. These products will act as your portable billboard and help you get maximum exposure.

Hope it helps.

Bigil
01-07-2021, 11:35 PM
The big banks have moved out to a bigger town about 20 minutes away. I want to get the people who were members of the big banks to transfer to us now. Also I want to get young students to sign up with us too.

thstsw40135
01-08-2021, 04:38 AM
At Florida west coast air conditioning service ,it is our goal to leave our Bonita spring FL, Fort Myers FL, Cape Coral FL, Lehigh Acres FL, Alva FL, Naples FL, Estero FL , clientele with peace of mind that come with knowing that their heating, ventilation and air condition HVAC system is installed and running at peak efficiency year round.

RaniaRanii3
01-08-2021, 10:50 PM
Neighborhood Marketing Events: One of the most ideal approaches to get included (and get your name out there) with your humble community network is to have or go to nearby occasions!

Bigil
03-12-2021, 11:54 PM
out of 5000 people in this town what percentage are currently doing business with your CU, what percentage would be be breaking even for the dollars you invest, and what would be a reasonable benchmark in the next month, qtr, 6month and year

RaniaRanii3
03-13-2021, 12:29 AM
Powerful neighborhood advertising is a lovely blend of website improvement, pay-per-click promoting, content showcasing,

alishbasaki
03-15-2021, 12:19 AM
Support a Good Cause.
Lease a Booth at Local Events.
Take Out an Ad in a Local Directory.
Spot an Article in a Local Magazine.
Compose a Press Release.
Compose a Letter to the Editor.
Go to a Networking Event.
Offer to be a Speaker.

KENZAdvertising2
03-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Here comes the job of web engineers who construct alluring and useful sites for organizations to help them associate with clients in a proficient manner. | Web Designing In Lahore | site engineer in Lahore, Our Company's web engineers affirm that sites of organizations work dependably and easily.

Geetha
03-16-2021, 02:00 AM
Speaking of magazines, many towns have free magazines that make their money from advertising and distribute to all the mailboxes and PO Boxes in town.

RafiGroup21
03-17-2021, 01:59 AM
Rafi Group has been in the real estate development sector since 1978 and prides itself on fulfilling all its commitment on time. We take great pride in being 100% compliant with our clients, regulators as well as our development timelines. Investment in Gwadar 2018 | Gwadar Investment | Green Palms Gwadar Plot for Sale

MASTERO
03-17-2021, 02:28 AM
How to Market Your Business in a Small Town: 5 Strategies
Use Word of Mouth as a Marketing Strategy. In a small community, people will normally have a preferred supplier, contractor, or shop that they go to when they need something. ...
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

RaniaRanii3
03-20-2021, 02:33 AM
Nearby Marketing Events: One of the most ideal approaches to get included (and get your name out there) with your humble community local area is to have or go to neighborhood occasions!

jayam12
03-20-2021, 05:53 AM
Use Word of Mouth as a Marketing Strategy. In a small community, people will normally have a preferred supplier, contractor, or shop that they go to when they need something. ...
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

mithu
03-20-2021, 05:54 AM
Offer to be a Speaker.

RafiGroup21
03-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Rafi Group aims to provide clients with secure and trusted investment opportunities. We have been working tirelessly since the past four decades to bring unique investment opportunities for our clients that are safe and reliable with excellent prospects of high future returns. Investment in CPEC | Gwadar housing schemes | Gwadar plot prices | Plot for sale in Gwadar

jayam12
03-22-2021, 04:33 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

mithu
03-22-2021, 04:36 AM
Offer to be a Speaker.

Bigil
03-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Here are a couple of suggestions. You might want to place an ad in the local church bulletins. Make up flyers and see if you can leave them at some local businesses.

Geetha
03-25-2021, 01:23 AM
Small town market demographics Develop messaging for the local culture Online marketing for small town businesses

RaniaRanii3
03-28-2021, 11:54 PM
For nearby organizations particularly, a Google Business Profile has gotten perhaps the best free advertising techniques accessible.

MASTERO
03-29-2021, 01:50 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

bhuvi
03-29-2021, 02:05 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

mithu
03-29-2021, 02:19 AM
Offer to be a Speaker.

MASTERO
03-30-2021, 01:53 AM
Give Away Freebies. ...
Be Active Online.

RafiGroup21
03-30-2021, 01:54 AM
Gwadar is a dream city in the making. The geo-economic potential of Gwadar port has ushered in numerous developmental projects that are currently underway. This has made Gwadar popular among real estate investors who are showing keen interest in its property sector. Gwadar residential plots | Best investment in Gwadar | Gwadar Pakistan investment

jayam12
04-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Its for a small Credit Union in a town of about 5000 people. The big banks have moved out to a bigger town about 20 minutes away. I want to get the people who were members of the big banks to transfer to us now. Also I want to get young students to sign up with us too.

mithu
04-20-2021, 08:46 AM
Use the internet!! Even though it's a small town, i'm sure most of the people are on the internet!!
Also, pass out flyers, do you have a community channel? If so i'm sure it's not that expensive to put a notice on that!!

valluri
04-20-2021, 08:50 AM
1) What town are you in? State?

2) how much funding do you have for this initiative

3) What is it that your credit union offers to these folks that the other bank doesn't besides the obvious geographic advantage? Do you have more favorable interest rates?