PDA

View Full Version : We want to open a drive through coffee shop/ retail roaster

coffeequeen
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
My husband and I have recently become interested in opening a small drive though coffee shop were we would also roast whole bean coffee and custom blends to sell to the public as well as other local companies.
We are in our mid twenties with decent income, great credit, but very few liquid assets.
We are currently investigating whether or not to start form the ground up, or to buy part of a franchise. The cheapest franchise we have found is around $80k but we have no idea if we would qualify for that amount.
We know a business plan is essential so we are working on that.
Any ideas or tips on thos subject will be greatly appreciated.
We are not afraid of taking risks but we don't want to get in debt and fail at this but we believe our small town in texas (25,000) is primed for this business.

Thanks!

coffee_kid
06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
If I were you, I would forget about roasting your own beans, until you have the clientele to support the expansion. Otherwise, you put yourself at risk of going too far into debt. I'm certainly not going to start off roasting my own beans.

coffeequeen
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the input, that's probably a good idea. Being a coffee drinker I think I have fallen in love with the roasting concept but it may be more lucrative to do the drive-through and then expand.
This community has no options in coffee, there's another coffee shop downtown but the parking is terrible and you can't get it to go.

-Kristine

oregano
02-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Having your own roastery sounds like a nice idea, but a big investment and more of a risk. So perhaps to start with you could source your coffee from somewhere else, open a drive through with a few tables and chairs too, and offer delicious baked goods too. Homemade muffins, cupcakes, scones, brownies, maybe sandwiches too. Either make them yourselves or outsource it to a local person with a good kitchen and great baking skills - every community has people like this!

You can always invest in roasting equipment later - but remember you need to learn how to roast the beans, which is not that easy. Also, the smell can be quite strong so you would probably need a permit from your local authorities, and the right venue.

DomDom
02-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Definitively pass the franchise you dont need it. The main thing is how are you going to attract the customers and how deep are their pockets? Will you attract them by lower prices or quality? What about the location of the drive-thru? Another great thing to think about is the decoration if you will have tables inside!

cpefley
02-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I would ditch the franchise option, because it is a hefty investment and they take significant portions of your profits. It will take you a lot longer to recoup your money, and because you said that there are no coffee options in your area, you can build a recognizable brand from scratch.If you want to be known for roasting your own beans, that is a really great idea, but it might cost you more to get started. I would do some market research and get a feel for what people would be willing to pay for coffee, and if they would pay more for coffee roasted in house and for custom blends they could only get from you. And if you were popular enough, you might even be able to sell you custom blends online somewhere down the road.

KNH
02-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I would ditch the franchise option, because it is a hefty investment and they take significant portions of your profits. It will take you a lot longer to recoup your money, and because you said that there are no coffee options in your area, you can build a recognizable brand from scratch.If you want to be known for roasting your own beans, that is a really great idea, but it might cost you more to get started. I would do some market research and get a feel for what people would be willing to pay for coffee, and if they would pay more for coffee roasted in house and for custom blends they could only get from you. And if you were popular enough, you might even be able to sell you custom blends online somewhere down the road.

Exactly my thoughts, all of them!

Lodismel
02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
From what you've said it sounds like setting up a coffee shop is a great idea for your location. Location is really the most important thing. If coffee is scarce in your neighborhood then people will hop on board pretty quick. You just have to make sure that they know you exist. Advertise yourself everywhere. That means signs, billboards, whatever you can do for the cheapest amount of money.