PDA

View Full Version : I seriously need some advice

speckler
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to reach out here and see if I begin to address my personal challenge with staying internally motivated. My story is relatively complex, but I'll try to briefly summarize it here.

When I was still a teenager in high school, I started a company. Amazingly, I stumbled into an incredible opportunity and market, and found the business to be quite profitable. The company ultimately grew to more than a dozen employees, until I sold it when I was early twenties. After the acquisition, I was supposed to be able to continue running the company as I liked, but it didn't turn out that way. The new owners brought in a management team that essentially cut me out of decision making process and ultimately ran the company into the ground. After about three years, they filed bankruptcy and all of the assets were liquidated. Unfortunately, I made the enormous mistake of never closing all of the lines of credit and credit cards that I had personally guaranteed prior to the acquisition. Since I did still own a significant profit share of the business, I stuck with it during the downhill spiral, and I went without pay for several months.

After everything blew up, most of the creditors came after me. Over the last six months, I have been able to weather the storm and have settled and/or arranged payment plans for the debts that I was truly liable for (although I guaranteed them prior to the sale, the banks could care less that I sold the company). I have cut back my lifestyle and trimmed spending to the minimum in order to survive, and while my savings are not gone, they are dwindling. I was able to get a consulting contract with the company that bought the assets of the company that bought my company's assets, which pays most of the bills every month and only involves working around 5 hours a week.

In retrospect, I never should have sold my company. In addition, I would have required more cash up-front. As things stand right now, I do not have a college degree, but my experience and skill set speaks for itself and have recieved a multitude of job offers. I turned them all down because I really don't want a job. I want to control my own destiny. When I first started my company, I was incredibly motivated. I worked very long hours, and found all of the effort to be incredibly motivating. After I sold the company and felt control plucked from my hands, I found myself becoming increasingly cynical and less motivated. I would constantly feel tempted to leave work early to go golfing when I never would have had thoughts like that before. But now that my whole world has imploded, I feel like I'm stuck in a bubble. My head feels foggy, and it is very difficult to get out of bed in the morning. I'm sure that the lack of a real office and peer accountability is a big part of that, but I just can't seem to get motivated. I KNOW that I want to start another company. I've even formed the corporation, purchased a web site, designed business cards, and established business credit seperate from my personal credit. I know what I have to do in order to reestablish myself in the marketplace, I just keep holding back from pulling the trigger. I then begin feeling depressed about how unproductive I've been, and it seems to force me down into this negative cycle. I need to get out. I want to get out, but I don't know how. I need to surround myself with people who will hold me accountable to my goals and objectives, and who will provide me with advice and support. I just feel zero motivation, and I don't know how to begin. Can anyone help me?

jeff2
07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Different things motivate different people. To get my head on straight, I bought the motivational CDs from Zig Ziglar. It is a 3 part set, and you need all 3 to get the most benefit. One is on motivation, the second is on changing your self-image, and the third is on setting goals. A little pricey, but in hind sight, I would have paid 10x. As they say, 'Its all in your head'. or 'Its all about attitude'. The quality of your life is determined by your thoughts. And no, you can't just listen one time and make a real difference. You have to listen until you start to internalize the messages.

cafetran
07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Spend sometimes at a book store, looking for books to help you relax your mind, empty your mind, refresh your mind.
Also look for books about motivation and positive attitude.
In the mean time, do some physical activities such as going to the gym, going for a jog.. Some physical activities create a positive energy in you. While excercising, try to empty your mind (a form of meditation). Try to depart yourself from everything that matters. Try to free yourself from all the burden you have in life. After all, you'll see nothing can really bring you down except your own self.
Through the course of my hardship, I've also learned that you will not loose everything ever if you don't loose yourself. You need to find yourself again. The self that you described, full of motivation and energy to deal with the obstacle in this world. And if you loose your true self, that's when you REALLY loose EVERYTHING.
It's all in the mind. But first try to empty it first then you will find the answers and ideas to go on and succeed.

smartmom
01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
It sounds like some things happened in business that you should learn from. Take the past mistakes and make them work for you. You could start a new similar business since you have worked so hard to establish that one. Just remember to cross all of your T's and dot all of your i's. You should also think of how you can reestablish your credit line. Maybe through debt consolidation or do you owe enough to do a chapter 13 or bankruptcy??? Maybe you could do odd jobs on the side through Fiverr to help establish this new business. You sound like a very smart individual. Most people at that age would not even try to start their own business. Think about what you should do differently this time. You don't want to depend on anyone else's credit so work on that. It may take a while but don't give up on your dreams!!

donaldplozha
01-31-2014, 09:42 AM
I admire your will and desire to start your own business at that age when most people don't care about anything and choose to rely on their parent's money. You made a mistake out of inexperience and that is something anyone can do, even experienced people make wrong decisions. I suggest you try to take it easy and go on dealing with the thing you love to do. You could try doing freelance jobs in websites like oDesk or Elance which many talented people like you find very useful. Don't give up and stay an entrepreneur. Take care :)