PDA

View Full Version : Time Management-An essential factor for home based worker!

ezy786
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Time Management is a key ingredient to be a successful home based worker.Home based worker performs two fold functions.
A.Duty towards his family and friends.
B.Execution of company's work on time.
So,to complete above two tasks a home based worker can not be successful until and unless time management is properly applied.
The following are the some basic principles by which you can attain your desired goal.
1.Planning is a key factor to time management.But,Planning schedule is such that it is achievable otherwise frustration and anger will accrue.
2.Divide total working hours into blocks and assign the work in the alloted blocks and if there is any disparity between time available in block and volume of work find out immediately its remedy.
3.Be disciplined to complete the works on time.It means do not overestimate the magnitude of work.Always try to complete the works in a alloted time and this will enhance your prestige and responsibility towards company,family and friends.
4.Every big projects has its own schedule.The big project is divided in many parts.Now plan for execution of every part.If there is delay for completion of any part inform the company's boss and fix a new time table for delivering the completed works.Complete the work as per renewed agreement with the company.If it is required to employ some persons to complete the work adapting new time schedule do not hesitate to do this otherwise it may difficult for you to bag the next contract from the same company.In any case,do not compromise with the quality of jobs.
5.Divide the works of top priority and moderate one.Top priority works should be completed first because it brings more challenge,more money and more opportunity.Those works shold be completed by you or direct control by making proper vigilance and employing efficient worker.
6.Special care and planning should be imposed at the time of agreement with company.Always keep parity with the volume of works and required work force available to complete the jobs.

Utilising the above procedures, you can easily achieve the target to the responsibility both towards your family,friends and company's work order.It will help you avoid stress which is required for maintaining good health.

With best regards,

Julio Saltos

Bilz
07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I can certainly testify to time management boing massively important to home workers... it's something I battled with for the first couple of years.

2 piences of advice I would give. Firstly get a copy of "Eat that frog" by Brian Tracy - best thing I ever read on the subject.

Having said that the system I now use is so simple, and so effective, everything else seems superflous...

Before you go to bed write a list of everything that needs doing tomorrow
Order the list by importance
Next morning start at the beginning and work through...
Don't stop until finished!

I know that might seem like stating the obvious but it really does help me, hopefully it might help someone else!

Bill

oregano
01-19-2014, 07:17 AM
I second reading "Eat that Frog" - I remember it talks about doing the big, difficult jobs first, then everything else seems easy.

Also, if you can figure out how to manage your time well, you can become incredibly productive, and make a lot more money. Making a list of all the things you need to do tomorrow is a great, but simple, strategy that I try to follow myself. You can put your tasks into different categories too for maximum clarity - such as personal tasks, marketing and promotion tasks, communication tasks, writing tasks, etc.

Also, if you allocate strict timeframes to each task, then set a timer and work through each task, then stop once the bell rings, if not already completed. You'll soon learn how long to give yourself for each type of task. For example, you might give yourself an hour to write a blog post, not a whole morning. Given that the time taken to complete a task tends to expand to fill the time you allow yourself, restricting the time means you will naturally finish it more quickly! Try it and watch how many tasks you can get done in a day!

cpefley
01-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I have such a hard time with this. My schedule is so unpredictable. I have 5 kids, all at home, ages 18 months to 16, and it is a mad house. I wish that I could have a dedicated work schedule and not just try to fit it in when I can. I feel like my earning potential is far above what my actual income is right now. Thank you for the tips! I am going to to try to incorporate at least some of them.

dlawes
02-04-2014, 10:14 AM
I am starting my new online business and I must say it is very difficult to make time for it. I have a job in the medical field that causes me to work a crazy schedule and I also have three kids. Two of them I am home schooling them. I still find time to get online for at least 2 hours everyday. I have no time when I am at work since I am the go to person for almost everything. I am also the person that get the blame for everything that goes wrong. I need to make time to do something better. Time is money. It is important to use my time wisely even when handling my business. I am not make much of a profit. I will be trying to focus on one thing at a time and finishing what I started. I keep moving on to other things that I did not plan on doing. I will never finish anything like that even if I am working for 2 hours everyday.

Lodismel
02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I agree mostly with what the OP said. Time management can be a huge problem when you work at home. For a lot of people there are too many distractions. The key is setting up guidelines. Your family has to know that even though you are working at home, you are still working. They can't come in and interrupt you all the time or you'll never get anything done. It takes a lot of personal responsibility to stick with it. It's easier to slack off and end up getting behind.

mikelouis
02-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Like any other business, unless you dedicate enough time to building it, it will collapse in the first year. Home based businesses have their own share of advantages and disadvantages also. Most disadvantages come in because a person feels relaxed as there is no boss to monitor what you are doing. Essentially you will be wasting a lot of time that can bring in more clients which translates to more money.

Dinomarino1
02-08-2014, 03:37 AM
my biggest problem is under estimating my work schedule and rushing to get it all done, if i could just conquer that i would be in pretty good hands

caveman
02-08-2014, 04:17 AM
Like any other business, unless you dedicate enough time to building it, it will collapse in the first year. Home based businesses have their own share of advantages and disadvantages also. Most disadvantages come in because a person feels relaxed as there is no boss to monitor what you are doing. Essentially you will be wasting a lot of time that can bring in more clients which translates to more money.

I completely agree. Even though I worked from home, I had my sister (also my partner) to help me give that little push. I think my business would have fallen if it wasn't for my sister. I tend to get distracted a lot and I find that unless you set up a specific time for you to work, you will not get anything done in a productive manner.

Bonyi
02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
You're absolutely right. You have to balance both or you'll have either of them suffer for lack of time management.

Lois5669
02-22-2014, 06:33 PM
I totally agree with the OP on this. Thanks for posting it, by the way.

A lot of people want to work for themselves and be their own boss. The problem is that a lot of those people don't realize the time, energy and sacrifices that go into it. I totally believe you have to be very self disciplined and exceed at time management skills in order to be successful as a business owner. Especially when it is a home business! You have to have that drive to get up and "do".

If you have several projects going on at one time, which is very common, you will overwhelm yourself and crumble quickly. Organization is vital. Prioritize and breakdown each project into milestones. Focus on what has to get done "now" versus "this afternoon" versus "by Wednesday". Track it on a Calendar (digital and a wall calendar). It really makes a world of difference.

M.K
02-22-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm usually pretty good about staying productive when working from home. I don't set strict rules or deadlines for myself, but I'm always aware of what needs to be done. A coffee break here and there can be a good thing.

firelily99
02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Its still a work in progress for me but I am slowly coming up with a workable system. I do try and do the tough stuff first, when I do it makes the rest of the day fly. As far as shipping I plan it for when the dog needs a workout, the park we go to is right near my shipper. I know having stuff picked up to ship is easier in a way but both of us benefit when we go out together. It clears my head and the dog is happier for it.

robotx
03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Time management is extremely important to a home business worker. It is far too easy to distracted while left to your own devices, especially while using the internet. Just remember that as an entrepreneur, you are doing it for yourself/ your family and nobody else. You are the boss, and it is up to you to keep yourself in line. Master time management and put your nose to the grindstone. You will reap great rewards from your efforts.

JohnSword
03-04-2014, 01:29 AM
I think effective time management also involves clustering similar tasks together. Do all your reports at once; do all of your proposals at once, all of your prospecting calls at once. Whatever they are, do them all together rather than one here and one there, and one at another time during the day.

What happens is that when you do a whole series of similar tasks together you get onto what is called the learning curve. Whereas the first task may take ten minutes, the next one will take nine, the next one eight, and the next one only seven minutes. Pretty soon, you’ll be burning through the tasks at two to three minutes at a time. You’ll save 50 – 80% of the time on each subsequent task. You’ll get more done that you can possibly imagine. So do similar tasks together.

sdsnook
03-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Very good advice! I love to go with the flow and I am super excited that working at home online and balancing family, friends and LIFE in this new time.. I think that if we have people like you to help encourage and keep us on track that we are all going to go very far in life and work! Thanks a bunch!

lizzief79
03-22-2014, 10:55 AM
I am a freelance writer and a mum of four so time management is really important to me. Being a writer is about much more than writing. There is submitting pitches, completing applications, promoting work and doing the accounts. I have to allocate a certain amount of time to each of these tasks on a daily basis.

Lithium
03-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Having a schedule is very important indeed.

gadgetised
03-23-2014, 04:09 AM
I also work from home and I try my best not to get distracted. For me it just comes down to putting some time aside to just get the work done. Once its done its done and I can relax.

fredkawig
03-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes. For those who can manage their time, it definitely is a must.

tinyfang
03-23-2014, 03:13 PM
I've seen this sort of thing happen to the best of parents. Time management only really works if your kids aren't around to bother you or create an environment where you need to be up and about constantly.

We had a programmer work with us for a time, but since he was only able to work in the evenings when his kids are at home, he wasn't able to keep with his schedules at all. He ended up working in the weekends for one night, when we needed him at least 3-4 of the nights per week. We eventually had to kill the contract with him as he was dragging the entire team down.

owesem75
03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
We all have 24 hours every day, how we spend it is all up to us. Zoning your time would be able to help you know your priorities. If you are maintaining a home office, it is best to visual your time along with your calender so you will exactly know what will make you busy, how much time you will be busy, etc.

Lithium
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Having a certain schedule is way better, productive and it makes free time more valuable.

nwitt
03-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Yes - this is VERY important. I have always been pretty good a time management. It helps me to make lists that I can check off. I also like to plan my day the night ahead of time - this means I won't be guessing as to what my top priorities are the next day. It comes with practice!

jfab
03-26-2014, 06:51 AM
This is very helpful. Just what I need today. Working at home could be hard without the organization in your head. Time management is indeed a key to this.

Lithium
03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
If you have other important things to do, time management is an essential part of the business indeed. I can finally go out with my friends more since I have made myself a schedule.

firelily99
03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Time management is huge when you are working from home and its something that is difficult in the beginning. I am MUCH better at it and it took me getting stressed out and exhausted before I did. Thanks so much to ezy786 for the excellent overview of the topic, it was an excellent review and loaded with great information.

Lithium
03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Time management is huge when you are working from home and its something that is difficult in the beginning. I am MUCH better at it and it took me getting stressed out and exhausted before I did. Thanks so much to ezy786 for the excellent overview of the topic, it was an excellent review and loaded with great information.

I must agree with you. If you don't have a schedule, you'll work all day and feel exhausted in the end.

eagle22
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
This post came at the perfect time for me. For some reason I have been really struggling with my time management and getting things done. I have found myself sitting at my computer for hours doing nothing, it's such a waste of time. I know I can finish all my work in a few hours if I could just focus. One thing I have been doing is using "time block" I will work for two hours without distractions, take a 20 minute break, then work for one hour without distractions and take a 20 minute break, then work for 30 minutes without distraction and call it a day. Usually when I split my work up like that I can get everything finished.

GottBiz
03-29-2014, 08:32 AM
I just don't have the time that I used to have when I was young and single. I put a higher priority on people (instead of "accomplishments") now that I am older, so I don't get as much done as I once did. However, I think when I am old, and on my deathbed, I will look back at my life and be grateful for the time that I put into people instead of things.

Lithium
03-29-2014, 10:45 AM
I can't believe how much money I could have earned by having a proper schedule.